Railroad interference issues?

Reaction score
I'm interested in using a local rarely use railroad as a flight path when no trains are present for my P3. It seems to me that it is a no brainer concerning safety issues like not flying over people, houses, private property (other than rr private property) parks etc. This would also give me a very visible landmark to use when returning the drone home, and be a good route to test distance flights. Im aware of comments on this forum suggesting that the radio frequencies used by the railroads might interfere with drone signals, but my question is would there be any other interference when a train is not present that would interfere with my P3 signal? Would the rails or other railroad electronics be any kind of issue?

Im aware of comments on this forum suggesting that the radio frequencies used by the railroads might interfere with drone signals, but my question is would there be any other interference when a train is not present that would interfere with my P3 signal? Would the rails or other railroad electronics be any kind of issue?
At the height you are likely to be flying, you shouldn't notice any particular issues from the railroad.

I fly over and around trains and railroads every week and have not noticed any particular problems with them.

AD

i-vTn882F-L.jpg

Reactions: mdowney58
It's most unlikely that there will be any kind of electronic (RF) interference. Very close to the tracks themselves there might be some distortion of the earth's magnetic field. A train, if present, might have a similar, and maybe larger, effect but, again, it would be short range.

I'm interested in using a local rarely use railroad as a flight path when no trains are present for my P3. It seems to me that it is a no brainer concerning safety issues like not flying over people, houses, private property (other than rr private property) parks etc. This would also give me a very visible landmark to use when returning the drone home, and be a good route to test distance flights. Im aware of comments on this forum suggesting that the radio frequencies used by the railroads might interfere with drone signals, but my question is would there be any other interference when a train is not present that would interfere with my P3 signal? Would the rails or other railroad electronics be any kind of issue?

Not an expert on RR comms but what frequencies are you referring to which cause interference?

A quick Google search shows nothing above 1GHz in the USA.

Did I miss something?

Not an expert on RR comms but what frequencies are you referring to which cause interference?

A quick Google search shows nothing above 1GHz in the USA.

Did I miss something?
I have very little knowledge in frequencies myself. I had read either in this forum or another that some people experienced odd drone behavior or some type of signal interuption around trains. Looks like these replys have answered my question. Shouldnt have a problem.

Any location containing large amounts of ferrous materials can cause magnetometer (compass) interference so just be cautious until you have some experience in the area(s).

Don't forget it's trespassing to be on rxr property, the rxr LEO's could write u a citation or even take u to jail

They take it serious due to personal injury suits and it's unknown to them what the video is used

Don't forget it's trespassing to be on rxr property, the rxr LEO's could write u a citation or even take u to jail

They take it serious due to personal injury suits and it's unknown to them what the video is used

Depends on where OP is. If in USA then if pilot maintains VLOS while off property there is no trespassing as FAA controls airspace from a blade of grass upwards; airspace isn't owned by property owners below said airspace

I have a side track a few hundred feet from the house that causes complete radio signal loss as I fly over it.

I have a side track a few hundred feet from the house that causes complete radio signal loss as I fly over it.
May require a bit more scrutiny.

Correlation is not Causation.

Last edited:
Train engines communicate with RF frequencies so it could cause issues if you get too close depending on what frequency they use.

Train engines communicate with RF frequencies so it could cause issues if you get too close depending on what frequency they use.

As mentioned above, however, those are VHF comms systems, and it would be surprising if they interfered with the aircraft.

NewMexicoFlyer,

Do you have video of that shot? Incredible engine staging.

AD

No problems for me when flying around tracks, trains and these bridges:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very nice capture. Did you use the "Tripod" mode to get the smooth cinematic effect? What was the frame (fps) rate?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers