RageCams Modified 5.4mm Flat Lens

I'll have an A/B comparison of the stock P2V lens and the Ragecam lens probably tomorrow. Im trying to make sure I have the exact same shooting conditions, ie sun, etc, so both the photos are basically from the same position except the lens. I did buy the ragecam lens and I know's its expensive but I must have sharper images so we'll see how it works out.

MrDRC said:
I'll have an A/B comparison of the stock P2V lens and the Ragecam lens probably tomorrow. Im trying to make sure I have the exact same shooting conditions, ie sun, etc, so both the photos are basically from the same position except the lens. I did buy the ragecam lens and I know's its expensive but I must have sharper images so we'll see how it works out.

Sounds good

Scottrod said:
bobbo984 said:
Hi Jonasg4 - do you have a video showing the installation and footage from the vision with the new flat lens?

+1! I would love to see comparison footage of the same area/object.

That really is a very good upgrade - thank you Jonasg4.

Did you have to play with focus or any other adjustments to get it working? If someone had a 3D printer and designed a 100% compatible mount for this lens, there would be a cracking market for it.

gfredrone said:
FSJ Guy said:
jonasg4 said:
Before and After /Original VS. 5,6mm Lens

for you the DNG Images from nearly the same Point.

Now it´s your choice ;-)) :D :) :p

http://www.2umail.de/DJI00019.DNG
http://www.2umail.de/DJI00040.DNG

This is the DIY replacement lens from Vision Dimension Shop. NOT a lens from Ragecams. See previous posts, but THIS lens is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE.

Thanks for the clarification.

This is the kit referenced. http://www.vd-shop.de/54mm-10mp-megapix ... p-560.html

Very tempted indeed.

gfredrone said:
Scottrod said:
I could see DJI releasing a better camera accessory as well as an updated version of the P2V including it. I'm interested to see what the future holds. I also think as time goes on that the larger professional rigs like the DJI S1000 are going to drop in price from $5,000-6,000 to $2,000-2,500 due to competition. As with any electronics item it seems like time always lowers the price. I'm definitely hooked on this hobby for life now. Haha

I think flyingeyes will give DJI a run for their money. Watching them like a hawk for my next bird.

http://www.flyingeyes.com/

Check out the ST12 smart radio in the brochure.

http://yuneec.com/pressroom/Yuneec_flyi ... ersion.pdf

UAV p0rn! Sorry guys.. I'll be back in a moment, I just made a mess... :oops:

I like the look of that lens but does anyone else notice how the zoomed picture also magnifies the yaw twitch of the phantom. Its even more noticeable than before. Only a 3 axis gimbal will sort that out.

This is the DIY replacement lens from Vision Dimension Shop. NOT a lens from Ragecams. See previous posts, but THIS lens is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.[/quote]

This is the kit referenced. http://www.vd-shop.de/54mm-10mp-megapix ... p-560.html

Thanks for posting this info.. very tempted by the ragecam, but like everyone else - it's very expensive. Would love a "How to video" before buying this kit! I'd end up bricking the camera :shock:

Its certainly very tempting. There is a clear set of owepro mini trekker AW showing how its done and I have seen a video on Youtube of one being done a while ago. I don't think its that hard to do but obviously you have to be prepared to brick the camera. They also sell gopro's already modified.

I received my RageCam modified camera back and to tell you the truth, the results are utterly disappointing. I took some photos of my house, street and neighborhood on March 5th and tried to replicate the exact same shots with the RageCam lens today. I made sure to try and mirror, as best as possible, the same shooting conditions like sun, time of day and altitude. To my shocking surprise, in 100% cropped view the jpegs from the original P2V lens is SHARPER than the RageCam lens! I have not had time to play with the raw files yet but will try and do so tonight but needless to say I am shocked at the end result.

This could possibly be a focus issue or maybe a bad lens? I have emailed the photos to RageCams and asked for direction. There is no way the original cam lens can produce better images, is there?

I will say this though, before I sent my camera in I exchanged several emails with the company owner while asking a lot of questions. He has been nothing but nice and completely opposite to the exchange I read in the mod sub-form. I even had a phone conversation with one of the techs and he was great. They over-nighted my camera back and it was professionally packaged. I would consider my dealings with RageCams to be positive despite the end result and it might be my lens just needs some adjustment or the lens may be defective, we'll see.

Im going to refrain from posting the photos until hearing back from RageCams. Of all the comparisons I saw on their GoPro cam mods they were nothing short of "night and day" difference. I was expecting something similar with their P2V mod.

MrDRC said:
I received my RageCam modified camera back and to tell you the truth, the results are utterly disappointing. I took some photos of my house, street and neighborhood on March 5th and tried to replicate the exact same shots with the RageCam lens today. I made sure to try and mirror, as best as possible, the same shooting conditions like sun, time of day and altitude. To my shocking surprise, in 100% cropped view the jpegs from the original P2V lens is SHARPER than the RageCam lens! I have not had time to play with the raw files yet but will try and do so tonight but needless to say I am shocked at the end result.

This could possibly be a focus issue or maybe a bad lens? I have emailed the photos to RageCams and asked for direction. There is no way the original cam lens can produce better images, is there?

I will say this though, before I sent my camera in I exchanged several emails with the company owner while asking a lot of questions. He has been nothing but nice and completely opposite to the exchange I read in the mod sub-form. I even had a phone conversation with one of the techs and he was great. They over-nighted my camera back and it was professionally packaged. I would consider my dealings with RageCams to be positive despite the end result and it might be my lens just needs some adjustment or the lens may be defective, we'll see.

Im going to refrain from posting the photos until hearing back from RageCams. Of all the comparisons I saw on their GoPro cam mods they were nothing short of "night and day" difference. I was expecting something similar with their P2V mod.

Hopefully it's only a focus issue.

I received mine today as well. I LOVE not having the distortion especially when I tilt to the straight down position, which is where I noticed it the worst when filming. I haven't had a chance to go over the video or pics yet but I do have to say Dennis is awesome to work with. He ALWAYS answered my calls and emails. There are some problems with it but he is working with me on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

FSJ Guy said:
Hopefully it's only a focus issue.

After numerous attempts at refocusing the camera I had to send it back today. I can only conclude my lens is bad glass because I cannot achieve the same sharpness as their demo photo taken with the new lens from a vision cam. I have 5 comparison photos taken from similar positions in similar shooting conditions but I'll only post one here unless anyone wants to see the rest. They are different views of my neighborhood, back yard, etc but all illustrate the same thing.

I love the non-fisheye but the sharpness on the original P2V cam is superior to the lens I received. Judge for yourself, whats the verdict?

This was taken on March 5 with the original P2V lens.

13316433964_0ec786aa73_c.jpg

This was taken on yesterday with the ragecam lens.

13316447954_22eb309b9e_c.jpg

Here is a 100% crop of my stacked stone front porch columns taken on March 5 with the original P2V lens.

13316222703_d94e6014a3_c.jpg

Here is a 100% crop of my stacked stone front porch columns taken yesterday with the ragecam lens.

13316075905_9ea8492ec8_c.jpg

this looks like more of an exposure issue. bump it a half or whole stop and i think you would get some improvement.

Hey, i think you didn´t need a 100% compatible Mount, just easy to made cuts (like on the Posts or Pictures before)and all other parts will be fit perfect. I had uesed the original Lens Cap (see Picture) so i can Change and adjust the Lens everyTime ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20140.jpg
    IMG_20140.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_20140324_183056.jpg
    IMG_20140324_183056.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 422
Well it looks like I have Ragecams incident . All Dennis is doing everything possible he can to make this work. The issue that I'm having is the Wifi is dropping out after 10-30 seconds which makes the camera and DJI app totally inoperative. Dennis explained that they don't touch any of the electronics, only the lens. So he is struggling to see how he could have done anything. He is in the process of sending me a NEW Ragecams modded camera, thats been tested, to see if it will fix the problem. If it does work than I'd send back the old modded camera. He really is trying everything he can. I'll keep everybody posted.

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal (on order #384)

RageCams said:
We thank Allan for his business & cooperation. We have reached a mutual agreement & understanding with all of his questions and concerns. Lies

Visit our store website! http://www.ragecams.com
"LIKE" us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/ragecams
Follow us on Twitter! twitter.com/RageCams
Check out our YouTube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSq4orAaqDAp6WIMIoocZwQ

We can install the lens on your Vision2 & customize it for interchangeable lenses and filters.
If you're interested, inquire with us at [email protected]!

"You may ask, 'Why not just use the GoPro de-fish software instead of changing the lens?'
--The correction tools in GoPro Studio 2.0, removing the fisheye will twist the edge of the video & make it even worse. Every time you yaw your helicopter, it will make a very hard & narrow point of movement making the edge strange. That is the reason most customers replace the original with the 5.4 mm flat lens from RageCams."
And the saga continues....... Another problem... Sure hope RC solves this one.

Venom93corba said:
Well it looks like I have Ragecams incident . All Dennis is doing everything possible he can to make this work. The issue that I'm having is the Wifi is dropping out after 10-30 seconds which makes the camera and DJI app totally inoperative. Dennis explained that they don't touch any of the electronics, only the lens. So he is struggling to see how he could have done anything. He is in the process of sending me a NEW Ragecams modded camera, thats been tested, to see if it will fix the problem. If it does work than I'd send back the old modded camera. He really is trying everything he can. I'll keep everybody posted.

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal (on order #384)

I really hope people will quit sending their EXPENSIVE cameras to this guy. It seems he does not know how to correctly disassemble this camera. :- (

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj