Questions/observations re currently owned P2V+ vs P3P vs V3

follow me is of particular interest, been waiting for the software to be more complete before upgrading. even without the new software features I'm feeling 4k + light bridge would be much better than changing out the gimbal / camera and adding DBSlite, I've seen the debates rage on, but seeing P2V+ vs Phantom + Zenmuse + Gopro in action, reminds me of a mac vs a hobbled together PC

everything beautifully integrated vs piece meal where you lose some functionality.

follow me is of particular interest, been waiting for the software to be more complete before upgrading. even without the new software features I'm feeling 4k + light bridge would be much better than changing out the gimbal / camera and adding DBSlite, I've seen the debates rage on, but seeing P2V+ vs Phantom + Zenmuse + Gopro in action, reminds me of a mac vs a hobbled together PC

everything beautifully integrated vs piece meal where you lose some functionality.
The advantage on changing the gimbal is that you break free of the camera dependence. Cameras evolve much faster than drones, so when the 4k camera gets obsolete (like the one on the P2V+ did) you'll still have to buy another drone+camera set.
changing the gimbal to accept another camera, you can just keep upgrading the camera keeping the same drone.
And you can also remove the camera and use it for ground work.

the analogy should be more like, a sealed laptop where you can't upgrade anything and gets obsolete fast, against a desktop computer here you can upgrade individual components as the old ones get obsolete.

I used to have a V2+ but now have the P3. I bought the original from Maplin in the UK - awesome customer service. As I had GPS problems with the V2+ I had a refund and bought the P3 instead. It feels much more "grownup". The range is awesome. I always get 19 or 20 satellites locked on. I also prefer the lack of fisheye.
Having said that I do miss the option to have a full manual mode and also the camera whilst of much better quality doesn't seem to cope as well with overcast skies etc.

Interesting, Thank you for the input! Definitely times I want to fly, when there are not enough GPS satellites overhead, the addition of glonass is awesome. when you say the camera doesn't cope as well in overcast, is it the same for all low light conditions, i love to fly at night,

or am i thinking about it backwards, maybe something a ND filter would solve?

I have a P2V+ v3 and I love it. No issues, no bugs. Batteries are now $99. 1080p is perfect as of now as not everyone has a 4k tv. Flies just like the P3(same motors and props) as I have flown both with the exception of the "braking" on the P3P. If I was to change, Id wait for the P3P v2.

I've owned:
Vision Plus Ver2, P2 Ver2 with H33D/gopro 3+, Vision Plus Ver2 with H33D/Gopro 3+, and P3Adv with 2.7K

P2 in general:
P2 DJI Batteries are ALL FAKE 3S - yes these are 3x2 parallel by series config. In other words, using 2 halves to make 1 cell. This is bad for balancing.
P2 Battery has an average 50 cycles and 3 month warranty.
Never have achieved 20min flight.
P2 requires a PC/MAC to assist - calibrations etc. Imagine trekking for 3 days and the **** unit requires an IMU calibration.
Very prone to VRS.
Separate ESC's

A few things with the P2 Vision Plus:
1080p@30fps is 11mbs on the Vision Plus - its highly compressed and has high artefacts that makes it unusable.
Wifi Modules in the Vision V2 and V3 will experience early life failure - they don't use enough heat dissipation (need to do artic silver 5 mod).
The Wifi is cumbersome and FPV drops in and out and range in reality is about 600m (480x360@15fps fpv).

A few things with the P2 Ver2 with Gopro and H33D:
1 way comms - no dynamic home, always need a dedicated FPV screen.
Press record and fly - cant change gopro setting mid flight.
Screen always had interference static.
Took longer to launch.
Looked horrid with wires hanging out.
1.6km range.

A few things with the Vision+ with H33D gopro 3+:
Best of both worlds and cheapest setup (after selling the vision+ camera), as you are using the existing DJI Vision FPV. You are essentially changing out the eyes.
1080p@60fps is 30mbs - very usable.
Clean setup - 1 cable and use existing DJI Vision app, therefore you can use GS/DHP etc (2way comms).
Cannot control gopro mid flight.
Gopro 4 upgradable.

A few things with the P3
1080p@60fps is 40mbs - much more usable. I haven't used 2.7k@30fps yet
DJI POI/Home Lock/Waypoints - useless as you need to be airborne (use litchi instead).
Litchi has Magic leash - follows another nominated device instead of controller.
Lightbridge is a godsend - 2km range and clarity makes it easier to frame (I use 32ch hack).
Motor/shell cracks are starting to appear.
Battery is a true 4 cell - users have done 100 cycles
A PC is NOT required - all settings are done via the GO app.
4K is too heavy for editing or even playback for some.
Longer flight times
Quick to launch.
ESC is integrated into the main board.

I think a P3A is best bang for buck. Esp in if you are not in the USA. It's 1550 vs 1950 here in Aus. Rather spend on batteries.

Reactions: StevenQX

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4