Questions about take off from Penthouse

Reaction score
So my friends wants me to get some shots for him of somebody standing along the balcony of a penthouse. Obviously top floor of a pretty large building.

I have flown 100s of times in all types of conditions. However, I never had the experience of take off from the top of building. Once I launch the Phantom 3 from the top floor and it is lets say 15 ft hovering. What happens when I fly off the edge of the building. Will the sudden height change make the P3 want to drop in level or should it be ok? I think launching from the top of the building will be better as I will be able to have a nice view of the Phantom rather than launching it from the ground going all the way up. Any advice or tips appreciated.

What happens when I fly off the edge of the building. Will the sudden height change make the P3 want to drop in level or should it be ok?
Nope. It'll fly like usual.

You might want to take off from some type of non-metallic platform if there is a lot of metal in or around the launch area.

Nope. It'll fly like usual.

You might want to take off from some type of non-metallic platform if there is a lot of metal in or around the launch area.

Yes, I'm aware of never flying or launching around metal objects and I always pick a different location if the warning pops up of interference. I assume the whole building is made out of metal or has large metal parts so are you telling me it might be safer just to launch from the ground, 1st level?

It's always safer to launch from the ground. However, I'm suggesting you keep the compass as far away from metal as possible. If it's close to metal when you take off, the flight could be a bit erratic for the first few seconds.

It will be on the flat deck at the top of this building. Do you think thats a little too close?

eMPo1BM.jpg

Ive flown off the top of buildings many times. Some times depending on the the building you will get a compass error. If you hold the drone up in the air about 4ft off the ground you can usually take off from there. I have had a few instances where it will take off but a compass error will ensue in which case you need to be a skilled pilot to make a controlled crash landing. the drone goes crazy when a compass error occurs mid flight.

Be aware of winds/breezes in around and between buildings.

They can cause weird currents that are difficult to interpret and fly.

Ive flown off the top of buildings many times. Some times depending on the the building you will get a compass error. If you hold the drone up in the air about 4ft off the ground you can usually take off from there. I have had a few instances where it will take off but a compass error will ensue in which case you need to be a skilled pilot to make a controlled crash landing. the drone goes crazy when a compass error occurs mid flight.

DirectorDrew, that's what I'm referring to.

Yes, sir. If I had the choice, I'd launch from the ground too.

Yeah I agree. It just maybe hard to orchestrate with the director the shot he wants if he is on top and I'm on the 1st floor.

Well, maybe launch from a tall, non-metallic platform then. Just make sure the area is clear in case something goes wrong when it lifts off.

I'm interested: never done this. I'm assuming the altitude will show the actual altitude from the ground when you take off: like if you are 20 stories up, something like 220 feet? But yeah, I'd be more concerned about the winds that whip around buildings. Vortices and all sorts of oddball winds around buildings so I'd stay back a good 50 feet when possible.

Mike

I'm assuming the altitude will show the actual altitude from the ground when you take off: like if you are 20 stories up, something like 220 feet?
It'll show the altitude from the takeoff point. Your Phantom thinks the takeoff point is the ground.

It'll show the altitude from the takeoff point. Your Phantom thinks the takeoff point is the ground.

Ahh. OK. Was wondering that. That's actually useful to have the relative position. Guess it'd go negative if you fly it below the top floor.

Mike

I believe you could encounter an issue with the POI function if you attempt it at an altitude below your takeoff point (i.e. Negative altitude). I had this happen on a costal shot where I had taken off from a bluff above some interesting sea rocks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic