Question re: long exposure photos at night

Reaction score
Hi, I've never tried this yet...but if I want to take individual photos for a hyperlapse at dusk and get streaking car lights, etc, would using an ND filter on my phantom, of say 16, be an idea to try? Turn up ISO and exposure with ND filter on to slow shutter speed? Sorry for newbie questions... I've seen folks do this and was wondering how. Thanks!

Reducing the ISO is surely what you need to do rather than increasing it.
Adding the filter would increase the amount of time taken for the camera to reach what it considers to be the correct exposure and should be helpful in this instance.
If by "exposure" you mean adjusting the "ev" values then I think that is not what you seek. This skews the exposure from what the camera considers correct and would result in either under or over exposure.
The above said long exposures generally require steady platforms, I am not sure if a flying drone would be steady enough. I have taken such shots with normal camera (normally tripod mounted) and will see if I can find them and see if any demonstrate camera shake

Reducing the ISO is surely what you need to do rather than increasing it.
Adding the filter would increase the amount of time taken for the camera to reach what it considers to be the correct exposure and should be helpful in this instance.
If by "exposure" you mean adjusting the "ev" values then I think that is not what you seek. This skews the exposure from what the camera considers correct and would result in either under or over exposure.
The above said long exposures generally require steady platforms, I am not sure if a flying drone would be steady enough. I have taken such shots with normal camera (normally tripod mounted) and will see if I can find them and see if any demonstrate camera shake
Not sure what OP is flying Philius, but P4P has 'tripod' setting? No clue what that entails. Haven't researched it yet. I'm not after the tailight streak @shuggins seeks, since I have, maybe, 5 cars a night drive by my house? But long exposure is something I'd like to try!

Brad

Sorry I can't find one with camera shake, both of these were tripod mounted.
The left hand one was 10sec, ISO 200, f14 on a 60mm lens, the right hand one was 2.5sec
It is worth noting that both were shot in relative darkness, 10:20pm local time in May.
The LH one looks like 'daylight' simply because the shutter stayed open for a long time
The jiggling of the taillights in the left hand shot is due to the road surface

Attachments

• P8431 was 8437 c&p.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 475
Reactions: Shoot4fun

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.