Why, oh, Why an ND filter?

Reaction score
I am a pretty serious photographer, and I feel like I know a lot--not saying I have nothing to learn by any means, but I am not a newbie.

So as a newbie to drone photography, I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people talk about getting ND filters for their drones? Why, why, why?

An ND filter is meant to keep light out so you can shoot at a lower shutter speed, say, to get that silky smooth moving water.

But everyone here knows that.

With a drone--at least my drone--I want to shoot at the lowest ISO possible to keep noise down. Adding an ND filter will obviously cause you to use a higher ISO, or a wider aperture.

So can someone please educate me about why I need a set of ND filters?

Meanwhile, here are my first attempts at drone still photography. These pictures are what finally take the plunge and get a drone. I have been dreaming of these shots for years except I wasn't tall enough. :)
blossoms-for-miles-by-eric-bjerke-sr-

almond-blossom-show-by-eric-bjerke-sr-

Attachments

• AlmondCountrywarnervilleRdAerialWEB.jpg
    AlmondCountrywarnervilleRdAerialWEB.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 816
  • BlossomRowsSkyDroneSunsetWEB.jpg
    BlossomRowsSkyDroneSunsetWEB.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 772
  • AlmondBlossomsGreenMoundSkyWEB.jpg
    AlmondBlossomsGreenMoundSkyWEB.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 827
  • NewTreesOldtreesPerfectLightToPrintWEB.jpg
    NewTreesOldtreesPerfectLightToPrintWEB.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 751
Usually....its ONLY a UV lens filter thats used...merely to protect the bare lens from constant cleaning and possible damaged from scratches..Its much easier to replace the UV lens then a very expensive 2.7 K or a 4K camera......wow Your posted pictures are super fantastic....Thanks for the share....all i have installed on my P 3 SE is a slip on UV.

Reactions: Classic Mini Man
I am a pretty serious photographer, and I feel like I know a lot--not saying I have nothing to learn by any means, but I am not a newbie.

So as a newbie to drone photography, I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people talk about getting ND filters for their drones? Why, why, why?

An ND filter is meant to keep light out so you can shoot at a lower shutter speed, say, to get that silky smooth moving water.

With a drone--at least my drone--I want to shoot at the lowest ISO possible to keep noise down. Adding an ND filter will obviously cause you to use a higher ISO, or a wider aperture.

So can someone please educate me about why I need a set of ND filters?

Meanwhile, here are my first attempts at drone still photography. These pictures are what finally take the plunge and get a drone. I have been dreaming of these shots for years except I wasn't tall enough. :)
blossoms-for-miles-by-eric-bjerke-sr-

almond-blossom-show-by-eric-bjerke-sr-
These are amazing photos. You don't need any help!

I keep a filter on only to protect the lens. When shooting video, I'll apply a variable ND to maintain a lower shutter speed. Makes things easier when combining with my DSLR video.

As you have probably surmised from the replies here, the ND filters are only used for video. You do not need them for still photos, unless you are trying for those smooth shots of moving water. I take mainly still photos and never use them.

Reactions: Ebjerke
As you have probably surmised from the replies here, the ND filters are only used for video. You do not need them for still photos, unless you are trying for those smooth shots of moving water. I take mainly still photos and never use them.
Yeah, sorry that I didn't do better research before I wasted you alls time. I found out that it is for video, not stills. I don't have a video mindset.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Usually....its ONLY a UV lens filter thats used...merely to protect the bare lens from constant cleaning and possible damaged from scratches..Its much easier to replace the UV lens then a very expensive 2.7 K or a 4K camera......wow Your posted pictures are super fantastic....Thanks for the share....all i have installed on my P 3 SE is a slip on UV.
Thanks for the kind words!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I wish it was possible to change a filter and rotate a polarizer while the AC was up.

I usually test at which angle and direction (usually 90° from the sun) the polarizer yields the best effect and try to screw it like that to the AC. Or point the AC camera to that direction up in the blue sky and rotate the polarizer while trying to decide the best angle on the tablet's screen.

I usually add a ND or polarizer for video and thus make a compromise for image sharpness.

BTW an old rule for hand-held photography was to use a shutter speed no longer than the inverse of the focal length (50mm lens can usually be held steady for 1/50 s shots, for example). If that roughly applies also for the P3P, then the shutter speed could go as long as 1/20 s (focal length 3.61mm or 20mm @ 35mm format equivalent), right?

p.s. great photos!

I have a Mudder Circular Polarizer Filter which is equal to about ND2 + the polarizing effect.

It is otherwise good but it has some vignetting at the 4:3 image corners (not at 16:9) which can be cropped out in post.

Unlike my ND filters, it doesn't properly screw all the way -- last time I flew I tried to screw it as far as it would go to minimize vignetting. But the images were very blurry. Maybe the extended force somehow stretched the camera? As a coincidence I tested exposure bracketing during that flight but I surely not that could be the cause for the blur?!

During the next flight I used only a ND8 which fits perfectly and the images and video were as sharp as usual. (I have Anbee (AFAIK the same as BTG) 3pcs Multi-coated Neutral Density Filter ND4 ND8 ND16 Set for DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced Camera).

I'd be interested to hear about better alternatives for a polarizer for P3P.

Last edited:
I use filters for both still and video. I live in Arizona. You really have to see the brightness out here to believe it! Especially in the Summer When the sun is high and the reflection from the ground turns Mid-Westerners skin a nice red tinge in moments Ha Ha! Filters for us out here.

Hi Ebjerk,
BEAUTIFUL photos ! I am new to the drone videos but have learned that taking pics are not the same as videos, I have taken maybe a hundred videos or so with my P4 and P3 A and I use the ND filters and when I did I was amazed at the difference it made, Here is a link to a video I made last year with my P4 using a ND 16 Filter, After I saw the difference I was sold, the clouds almost looked 3D and that is why I personally use ND Filters for my videos now.
Take Care Link:

https://youtu.be/evtJbEyxfUw
SteveP55

Those are very nice stills. Living in the Sacramento Valley of California, I am capturing images of almond orchards, and rural road areas, very similar to your attached shots, so I really appreciate what you submitted as examples.

I too am primarily a still photographer with my ground based high res Nikon's and now P4P aerial camera. I also teach one day complete courses in digital photography and Photoshop and Elements. As a newbie on the aerial camera, I continually add to my kit, and filters are my next venture into useful tools.

Generally, I rarely use filters, other than a UV to protect the lens and reduce blue found at 6,000 feet MSL and higher. I will definitely get a polarizer, which can act as ND of about 2 to 3 f-stops of light, and reducing glare, the primary purpose of a polarizer. I can see this as useful for shooting over water, or any situation where glare is an issue. You just have to be cognizant of which direction polarized light is coming from and watch FPV for how it is affecting the overall view as the aircraft yaws and moves in various visual planes. Be very aware of how any filter will change contrast and exposure of the images, lots of experimentation would be useful.

Ebjerke, Good luck and keep up the great photos.

Dave

To protect the camera lens from cracks and scratches. Which are easy to get every time you take off and land as the props blow up all kinds of dust, dirt, and rocks

Again for video only. You want your shutter speed to be twice your frame rate. 30 frame rate 60 shutter speed. You want a flowing video, not something sharp. The affect is not pleasant. It is a rule in video photography.
It depends. If you are a still phographer, you may want to shoot continuous video while not shooting specific stills, so you can later extract out sharp still frames. Using an ND filter for a cinematic look would turn those still extracts from the video into mush. Shooting 60fps video in 4K at 100mbs on the P4P yields very decent stills of 4-8MB in size, and you get 60 of them every second to pick the sharpest one! :cool:

My two cents.. I use a ND filter so my videos aren't over exposed. Both video and pictures turn out great with the filter! I would not fly without one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4