Question before buying Phantom 2 Vision

The bottom line is that I've seen several people regret/return/sell their vision and opt for a P2 zenmuse. I've yet to a see anyone go the other direction. That should sum up the decision IMO.

Btw - I'm not saying that all P2V owners are unhappy. I'm sure many love it and it works well for their purposes. Just that I have yet to see anyone regret the P2 purchase and get a P2V.

I purchased a Phantom 2 Vision (P2V) this past December and take it with me on trips across the United States. I'm nearly 60 so I understand your concerns regarding our age. The travel case for the P2V goes through airports easily and isn't too heavy to carry and it fits in the overhead bin with ease. The thing to keep in mind is that the P2V comes ready-to-go. Just charge everything up and start flying. I've posted a bunch of videos at www.rfaerial.com so you can see the image/video quality you will get. Judge for yourself.

Now, having said what I've said, and I am glad to have my P2V, I just received, this Monday, a Phantom 2 with the Pro Package from Aerial Media Pros. I also purchased a GoPro Hero 3+ black edition. I haven't recorded any video yet but I can say the battery life of the GoPro is lousy. This is a non-issue with the P2V. Also, it is a real pain installing the GoPro, securing it with the two tiny screws, knowing you will have to unscrew it in short order. I have not yet found a quick-release mechanism for the GoPro when attaching it to the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal.

If you want ease of use, right out of the box, I'm thrilled with my P2V. But I also enjoy this new hobby so much that I want to pursue the more advanced aspects which really does require a more sophisticated setup. I'm also looking forward to using the ground station when DJI finally releases it for the Phantom 2. If you have a sense that you want to grow into this over time I would suggest a good look at the different configurations Aerial Media Pros offers for the Phantom 2. Hope this helps!!

I can say the battery life of the GoPro is lousy. This is a non-issue with the P2V.
It's a non issue for the P2 as well because the gopro is charged by the P2 while flying. In a month of use I have not yet had to take my gopro off the gimbal to charge it.

I'm thinking that whichever Phantom model we choose as our favorite, the Phantom company will soon be coming out with another model that kicks all the other models asses, and we will all be screwed. That's the story of my life!

I have a P2V and guess I was lucky that its Vision camera turns out high quality still images from its RAW images. And I lucked out buying it from Dronefly, because they service what they sell as I found out after two serious crashes. All's well now.

Rowdy13 said:
I'm thinking that whichever Phantom model we choose as our favorite, the Phantom company will soon be coming out with another model that kicks all the other models asses, and we will all be screwed. That's the story of my life!

Well, based on my brief ownership of the P2V I think that the quadcopter itself couldn't really offer me more than I require for my needs, I thought its flight capabilities were brilliant and don't really see how it could be bettered (other than cheaper batteries!).* So I think my decision to stay with DJI (with a Phantom 2) and fix a great camera to it (the Sony RX100) is going to give me a the perfect solution to my photographic needs. I'll find out for sure next week as my dealer told me yesterday evening that the Phantom 2, the RX100 camera platform (from Dronexpert.nl), and the flight telemetry gizmo (DJI iOSD-mini) are all now at their place in Rouen and that they'll be assembling and testing the system today or tomorrow. They say the combination of those three components is a first for them so I feel like a bit of a guinea pig :)

A bonus for me is that I believe that the French authorities are about to homologate the Phantom 2 in respect of the laws here relating to commercial use.

I just looked at both of your websites, and you Mr. Evans are in incredible photographer! Congratulations on what you've accomplished no doubt from hard work and talent! Rowdy13-oklahoma.

Rowdy13 said:
I just looked at both of your websites, and you Mr. Evans are in incredible photographer! Congratulations on what you've accomplished no doubt from hard work and talent! Rowdy13-oklahoma.

Thanks Rowdy, you're too kind.

You know I always associate that name with the surname 'Yates' ;-)

By the way, I'm sure that once you get into aerial photography (and, indeed, if you get fully immersed in photography per se) you won't have time for a 'becoming lazy' lifestyle!

I'll chime in because why not? (Late to the party, sorry - those in the know will know why, and it's got one purple leg ;) )

I've had a P2V since release day, and I love it. It's absolutely right for my purposes, and it absolutely fits my lack of electronics expertise and desire for plug-and-play use with minimal extra stuff to bring along with me (always have my phone on me).

I have bought and fitted the Rotorpixel gimbal and it's gone from a quality of video that I was personally happy with to a quality of video that I am personally ecstatic with (see here for some footage using the gimbal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1vJNmyYcTE

Now note the emphases I placed above. I do not use my aircraft for professional purposes, nor do I intend to do so. I mainly share my flight videos with friends and family over YouTube - they never see the uncompressed footage so higher quality bitrates, etc, isn't a factor there. My friends and family without fail tell me how great the footage is and enjoy seeing the world from a new perspective - they haven't seen anything like it before so have no comparators: no one turned round and said "the video's a bit shaky" - whereas loads of them have now commented on how much smoother the gimbal footage is. Crucially none of them paid for the privilege, though!

I did a video "review" of the P2V as lots of people had asked whether they should get a Vision or P2+GoPro package and I still stand by the conclusion I drew in that: If you want to use your aircraft for professional purposes - either print-quality stills or video that you intend to sell/offer as part of a service (or think you might want to do either of those soon) then you probably shouldn't go down the P2V route. If you want casual, fun, out of the box, minimal fuss, all within your smartphone app, perfectly good for youtube sharing video and emailing/web sharing stills? P2V is a great out of the box system, and when you think what they've condensed into the package in terms of technology - the telemetry, total in-flight camera control (not just shutter, but ISO, WB, EV, etc), etc - and the fact that soon we will get autonomous waypoint flying in an upgrade for free (P2 need to buy additional hardware and own an iPad) then for users like me it's fantastic.

Only you can decide which will suit your immediate and near-future needs. It's completely irrelevant to your decision what I feel, but I am quite fond of my Vision. ;)

Whatever you go for, have a blast with it and come and join in with whichever sub-forum here is appropriate to your final choices.

Simon, you're absolutely right. And if the P2V's camera was of a consistent quality, it would be a really easy choice. It would simply be a matter of asking oneself, "Do I want something that's going to give me very acceptable results with complete ease of use, right out of the box? Or am I prepared to get a bit more complicated and involved and have a different camera slung beneath?"

In Rowdy's case, that would be a GoPro and, although I bought my son a new GoPro for his birthday earlier this month (he teaches people to do everything you can kill yourself at in the Alps - http://www.alpine-activities.com/) I have no idea how it compares to a really good example of the Phantom Vision.

And those last words, "really good example" lie at the crux of this issue (IMHO). I can't think of any other camera that you need to say that about. If you buy any compact, any 'bridge', any mirrorless, any DSLR, or even any smartphone, you're virtually certain to get a camera that's going to produce images which are exactly the same quality as the next guy with the same piece of kit. But, with the P2V, the quality control is so poor that you just don't know! You may be lucky (like you) and get one that gives perfectly good results, or you may (like me) get one that gives results similar to a compact from 1999 and which no amount of post-processing will cure.

That's a shame and, when one is spending 999 euros, such a lottery is just not good enough.

Are you listening DJI?

I agree, Peter. And whilst people seem to have had little difficulty in getting replacement units for those with lens issues (indeed some have gone through three or four warranty replacements before either finding a good one or giving up) no one should have to "persevere".

One good thing to come from this should hopefully be that DJI realise that there is an appetite for a Vision-like package married to some higher quality optics and electronics - perhaps from a "brand" in the camera market already? If rumours of the Vision#2 or VisionPlus or whatever having a 3 axis gimbal from the off are true then it would be rather odd not to match that with a better quality camera. You would then have your aerial "happy snappers" and professionals potentially both catered for with products that don't require soldering irons, workbenches and lots of add-ons to get up and hit the shutter.

But who knows!

That would make my son happy, he'd get the P2V and I'd have a new toy, but until that time I'll just have to wait for RotorPixel to send some more gimbals out... :!:

Peter Evans said:
Rowdy13 said:

Thanks Rowdy, you're too kind.

You know I always associate that name with the surname 'Yates' ;-)

By the way, I'm sure that once you get into aerial photography (and, indeed, if you get fully immersed in photography per se) you won't have time for a 'becoming lazy' lifestyle!

Rowdy Yates is who I named my dogs after. Actually I'm on my third black lab named Rowdy. "Rollin' Rollin' Rollin', keep them doggies Rollin'...RAWHIDE!

The below link is to the phantom kit I'm possibly going to purchase. I never knew it would be so difficult to find to package deal I want. Shrimp farmer told me the,important things are 1. Full FPV. 2. Mini IOSD. 3. Zen use gimbal and 4. Go pro camera. Would you guys mind looking at this package deal and let me know if it has the items I just listed? I know it has the go pro, and the zen use, but I'm not sure if it has the mini IOS D. I think it does have the full FPV, but not sure. Again, it's my lack of terminology that's making it difficult for me. If a phantom doesn't have the IOS D, is that something I can buy separately and put it on myself, or is it automatically built in certain models? There's also a video of this package on the web site I provided. And by all means, let me know if this package deal has stuff I don't need, or might be better to buy it without it, and upgrade to something better. I also noticed on the Atlanta hobby web site, that they offer a 12 inch FPV monitor for around 250.00 (American). I think the package deal offers a 7 inch monitor. Would I like the 12 inch monitor more than the 7 inch?

I am so sorry to ask all of these questions, but I literally have no one to ask. Hopefully I'll get hooked up with a local club soon, but I don't think I can wait til that happens. I also looked at the website DSLRpros.com, and they have the "ultimate" packages that I was asking about in another post. These packages are cool as hell, and really seem to be for the movie or advertising industry. I think they offer a a Futaba transmitter instead of the regular phantom transmitter. Is this a much better transmitter?

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... tegory=871

Here is the package deal from DSLRPros.com I was also looking at. I know for a beginner, this is probably more than I need, but I think if it gets me off of the couch. This has the Futaba 8FG radio transmitter with SBus RCV (which says it allows you to set and control the tilt angle and the Go Pro). Which (you guessed it) I have no idea what that means. But I still don't see the IOS D shrimp farmer was talking about.
I guess I need to do a little research on the Futaba transmitter! Please let me know what you think of this package. I wish all of you lived close by cause I would buy you lunch!

http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/ ... roductName

Well, it looks like you're definitely going for a P2 + GoPro rather than a Vision and so you might want to re-post these questions over in the 'Non Vision' section as most of the guys who can best answer specific queries like these hang out there and they won't notice you here. When my Sony Rx100 kit arrives at the end of next week (yes, it's finally happening!) that's where I'll be.

Rowdy13 said:
The below link is to the phantom kit I'm possibly going to purchase. I never knew it would be so difficult to find to package deal I want. Shrimp farmer told me the,important things are 1. Full FPV. 2. Mini IOSD. 3. Zen use gimbal and 4. Go pro camera. Would you guys mind looking at this package deal and let me know if it has the items I just listed? I know it has the go pro, and the zen use, but I'm not sure if it has the mini IOS D. I think it does have the full FPV, but not sure. Again, it's my lack of terminology that's making it difficult for me. If a phantom doesn't have the IOS D, is that something I can buy separately and put it on myself, or is it automatically built in certain models? There's also a video of this package on the web site I provided. And by all means, let me know if this package deal has stuff I don't need, or might be better to buy it without it, and upgrade to something better. I also noticed on the Atlanta hobby web site, that they offer a 12 inch FPV monitor for around 250.00 (American). I think the package deal offers a 7 inch monitor. Would I like the 12 inch monitor more than the 7 inch?

I am so sorry to ask all of these questions, but I literally have no one to ask. Hopefully I'll get hooked up with a local club soon, but I don't think I can wait til that happens. I also looked at the website DSLRpros.com, and they have the "ultimate" packages that I was asking about in another post. These packages are cool as hell, and really seem to be for the movie or advertising industry. I think they offer a a Futaba transmitter instead of the regular phantom transmitter. Is this a much better transmitter?

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... tegory=871

It does not include a fitted Mini IOSD so its not what I would call full FPV. You wont see your battery level, distance, height etc. Also I don't like the way they dont specify what components your getting. Look for a supplier that tells you exactly what your getting, then you can read what people say about them on this forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers