question about RTH feature on 1.1.1

Reaction score
Hello,

I have lost sight of my phantom on 2 different occasions. Luckily, it came back both times after I turned off the remote control. I thought I had read that when the phantom would lose the signal from the remote, that it would drop down to 50-60 feet and then fly home. Both times, the phantom stayed at its current altitude until it got to the home location then dropped down, which is probably the only reason it made it since I fly around alot of tree lines.

So is it officially supposed to drop to 50 feet or will it stay at its current altitude?

I actually just tested this last week. If you are below the RTH altitude, it will go up to that altitude and then return back to the home point. If you are above the RTH altitude, it will stay at that altitude and return back to the home point (and land). Personally I think this is a great feature.

The way I understand it is....
it will rise to about 60 feet if you are lower and return to home and land although I would take back control once within sight. If above 60 feet, it will come back at that altitude to home and land.

awesome. yes, great feature if you are flying high, in my situation, it would likely drop down and hit a tree if it didnt stay up at the current altitude. the documentation on these things is pretty terrible.

If you have trees etc between you and the Phantom, I would be worried about loss of control signal. Try to avoid those situations

QuOTE="AmirChar, post: 432631, member: 19665"]I actually just tested this last week. If you are below the RTH altitude, it will go up to that altitude and then return back to the home point. If you are above the RTH altitude, it will stay at that altitude and return back to the home point (and land). Personally I think this is a great feature.[/QUOTE]
Did not mean to repeat your thoughts. You posted while I was typing

Reactions: AmirChar
I actually just tested this last week. If you are below the RTH altitude, it will go up to that altitude and then return back to the home point. If you are above the RTH altitude, it will stay at that altitude and return back to the home point (and land). Personally I think this is a great feature.

This is exactly right. See the illustration below from my DJI Naza Software...
Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 8.16.03 PM.png

Great information. Is there any reason the default should be 20 meters? I wish there was a way to set the default to 30 or 40 meters. too many objects like trees in the 20 meter range.

No way to adjust that 20m default?

Great information. Is there any reason the default should be 20 meters? I wish there was a way to set the default to 30 or 40 meters. too many objects like trees in the 20 meter range.

If you find a way, please share.

I don't think it is possible.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe I read somewhere that that is now possible in either the latest Phantom or the latest firmware. Not sure
I think it is possible on the P3 but not the P1. I could also be wrong but I don't see any options to change the 20m setting on my above screenshot.

You can reset the home point while it's in the air using the S2 switch.
This effectively resets the elevation for RTH/failsafe as well.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The video above has good info bit I disagree with the way he flips the S2 switch. I have 3 P1s so I will only remark on them. I'm sure the P2 works the same but I can't confirm.
To reset home point in the air...put S2 switch in the CL (middle) position. Flip down to HL and back to CL 5 times ending in CL position. If you get the rapid green flashes, new home point is set. Now put the S2 switch where you want it.
To reset course lock in the air...Start with S2 in off (upper) position. Turn the quad the direction you choose. Flip S2 from Off to CL and back 5 times ending in off position. Again, see if you get rapid green flashes. Home point won't change. It helps if you always have a view of the led. To test new home point just fly out further, select HL and pull back on right stick, Quad should fly to new home position. One thing to note that home point at take off is zero elevation. If you fly a distance from you going uphill, the quad does not know the grade difference. If you reset home point in the air to clear tall trees for RETURN TO HOME, be sure to take into consideration the change in ground elevation as you fly. A 60 foot tree at takeoff elevation becomes a taller tree if up on a hill from you.

Right on Nick,

That kind of info needs to go into a manual. One that reads in English.

Thanks for sharing.
Where would we be if we knew this, and the rest of what DJI left out, at the beginning? That's a serious question.

Take note DJI. If you can't translate, hire someone who can. That is not meant as a slam, just friendly advice.

I will also add this. My first P1 is on ver 4.00. I never upgraded it to 4.02. I could never get it to reset HP in the air. I had asked on the forums if I had to go to 4.02 for this feature. No one had an answer so I gave up. After getting my second P1 on 4.02 I could reset HP in the air after I figured how to do it properly. Just for the heck of it, I went back to my firt P1 on 4.00 and tried it again. It works fine. Like the guy in the video having so many fails at trying to reset HP. I think it was the way he flipped the S2 switch and that was in front of his face. Imagine it being 200 feet away. I watched many videos on youtube on this and all seem to do it differently. Flip the switch quickly but don't go crazy. But as we know, many information videos on YT are a waste of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic