Question about quick connect prop guards

Reaction score
Sorry I know theres probably a thread on this but I cant seem to find the answer. Im considering quick connect prop guards BUT I know that to install then you need to unscrew ALL FOUR screws under each motor. I also read one person say to be careful to not let the motor shift out of place while doing so. Is that a real concern? Im scared of unscrewing the screws and having a motor or two move out of place and thereby causing it not fly right. Am I thinknig correctly?

Not thinking correctly...

The guards are held on with JUST TWO screws each, the outermost ones.
No motor shift will occur.

No the snap on ones you have to unscrew all four screws. The permanent ones are two screws.

Thanks, over-looked that in the OP.

I plan to try installing the quick release prop guards soon (Bestem brand). I didn't have this worry until I read this post. Is the motor moving or shifting out of place a legit concern when installing these?

Also, has anyone who has these also plan on getting (or already have) a DJI hardshell backpack?? I'm wondering how much modifying must be done to fit the quad with the prop guard clips on it.

Ryan, its funny you should mention the Bestem brand. Those specific ones you actually only screw two. I was talking about Summitlink which require four. I was looking into Bestem but read that theyre more flimsy than the Summitlink but I actually might go with those now that I think about it.

Is the motor moving or shifting out of place a legit concern when installing these?
The only legitimate concern is the length of the prop guard screws. Make sure you buy prop guards that are made for the Phantom 3. The prop guards themselves are the same for both the Phantom 2 and Phantom 3, but the Phantom 3 has shorter motor screws. And, if you decide to remove your prop guards, make sure you reinstall the original motor screws.

The only legitimate concern is the length of the prop guard screws. Make sure you buy prop guards that are made for the Phantom 3. The prop guards themselves are the same for both the Phantom 2 and Phantom 3, but the Phantom 3 has shorter motor screws. And, if you decide to remove your prop guards, make sure you reinstall the original motor screws.
I used the SummitLink snap-ons and the supplied screws, but I added a washer to the two longer screws. Too lazy to drive the half mile to the hardware store for the correct length screws, I guess....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic