Question about DBS/FPVLR

Reaction score
I have a quick question about these long range antenna mods:
I can understand them boosting the RC Power and making a directional signal to control the craft much further away, but how does it get the signal back from the craft?

What I mean is, isn't this signal sent back from the aircraft the same as it was before? Meaning, do you not lose FPV at stock distance, unless you have some sort of a aircraft modification on the antenna on the quad itself? I mean, you are only modifying the RC not the quad...

Thanks for answering this.

Reactions: alokbhargava
The mod acts like a hearing aid. The signal from the craft is the same, but it's amplified as it is received.

Think of it this way, if you and I each have 6 feet long arms and are standing as far away as possible from each other while still being able to hand the ball off to each other the total distance would be around 12 feet. Now if you bring someone else in that has a 15 foot arm but you remain with your 6 foot arm you have now extended that distance to 21 feet. In this scenario the 15 foot arm guy would be the controller and you would be the craft. The antenna amplifies the ability to send and receive signals.

Frankly speaking I never understood the antenna theory except that if in order to push or receive maximum signals, antenna should match the ambient impedance at the transmitting frequency. This means that you can't go on improving receiving or transmission strength. It finally depends on the power of the transmission. Also the signal strength reduces to one fourth as the distance is doubled.

Also understand that the length of the antenna should be a multiple of the wavelength of the transmission frequency else there would be a signal cancellation effect.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic