Question about binding

Reaction score
I had to buy a new wifi transmitter after losing video feed with the original transmitter even though all the other telemetry features worked. I installed the new transmitter in the Phantom and then tried to bind it with the wifi extender using the QR code that the new transmitter came with. I can not get it to work. Is the QR code that came with the new transmitter on a separate label that was provided the correct one to use and is that the only thing I should have to do? Frustrated in Texas!

J Dot said:
Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/X7FsdCPrEeU

Also after you scan code and have MAC address, MAKE SURE YOU "CLICK" THE BLUE ( BLUE CHECK ) BUTTON AT TOP RIGHT OF SCREEN!

Happened to me once.

Good luck!

Thanks Jerry. I think that procedure is for binding with the original transmitter while I have replaced my transmitter and that procedure does not seem to work.

Someone here must have replaced the wifi transmitter on the Phantom? Can anyone tell me how to bind the new transmitter? Thank you in advance. Bill

I just tried to bind by entering the MAC address on the new wifi transmitter manually in the app - still no success. I am baffled why the new one will not work - the old one had everything working except the video feed.

Lots of confusion on this topic. The manual talks about binding the WiFi extender with the camera. Well... the camera doesn't have any WiFi components to bind to. They are talking (I think) about the WiFi module way up inside the drone. So if you replace your camera and gimbal you probably don't need to rebind. It's plug and play. You are using the same WiFi repeater and the same WiFi module - what's to rebind?

Now if you change the WiFi module up inside the drone (or the WiFi repeater on your remote) you would definitely need to rebind.

What you are doing is telling your Extender to talk to the WiFi module inside the drone. Technically you don't even need the Extender. You could directly bind your phone to the WiFi module inside the drone and skip the Extender entirely. Except your range would be terrible and the WiFi signal from your drone is on a hidden network.

If you follow the Youtube link above or read the manual it talks about the Rebinding process and tells you to scan the QR code from your drone box. When you scan your drone box for the QR code you are scanning in the MAC address of the old WiFi module your drone came with. If you have changed out the WiFi module in the drone that's not going to work. After a change-out you can no longer scan the original box. Makes sense, right?

The new WiFi module will come with a tiny little QR code stuck to it on a tiny little label that's very hard to scan. It also comes with the MAC address written out on a sticker. You will need to bind using the new WiFi module's MAC address. Either scan it's QR if you can or type in the MAC manually.

image.jpg

If the label is missing or you can't read it you could scan for the drone's hidden WiFi network signal. That's the signal given off by the WiFi module inside the body of the drone. It's picked up by the extender and amplified for better range. Switch off your remote and extender, switch on the drone and scan with this Android App for a hidden network:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... i.analyzer

The hidden network should show no name and a Mac address that starts with 60:60... Use that in the binding process.

Note: The WiFi module won't transmit a signal unless it's plugged into a working camera. This may be the source of some of the confusion?

And yes, don't forget the blue check mark. D'oh!

Reactions: steelo
Thank you so much for explaining this! I will try that analyzer when I get back home. Since entering the MAC address from the new transmitter manually and having it say binding was successful did not work, I am guessing that the label might not be correct. Anyway, thank you again!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31