Question About Antennas

Reaction score
I recently crashed my P3S and while examining it post-crash, I noticed that the two gold UFL connectors were still connected to the gimble but the black and gray wires have been pulled out of them.

I had an idea about replacement but wanted to get the advice from the experts in this forum who know much more about these things than me.

I have a spare controller and when I take it apart I see the two antenna panels noticed their cables have the UFL connectors on them as well.

If I remove the antenna panels from my drone, will the two panels from the spare controller work? if so, it would save me from having to buy a new set and wait for them to arrive, but I don’t want to go through the effort if I know in advance that I will not work.

If not, cound I just cut the wires from the spare controller, leaving about two inches of wire leading to the gold UFL connectors, and splice them with the antenna wires from the drone? There is about two inches of the drone antenna wires still coming from the gimbal...so I would think enough to strip and splice.

Thanks very much!

I recently crashed my P3S and while examining it post-crash, I noticed that the two gold UFL connectors were still connected to the gimble but the black and gray wires have been pulled out of them.

I had an idea about replacement but wanted to get the advice from the experts in this forum who know much more about these things than me.

I have a spare controller and when I take it apart I see the two antenna panels noticed their cables have the UFL connectors on them as well.

If I remove the antenna panels from my drone, will the two panels from the spare controller work? if so, it would save me from having to buy a new set and wait for them to arrive, but I don’t want to go through the effort if I know in advance that I will not work.

If not, cound I just cut the wires from the spare controller, leaving about two inches of wire leading to the gold UFL connectors, and splice them with the antenna wires from the drone? There is about two inches of the drone antenna wires still coming from the gimbal...so I would think enough to strip and splice.

Thanks very much!

I will only comment on my specific knowledge as I don’t own a P3S... and that is do not try to splice coaxial antenna wires. If you can replace at the UFL that is the only way to do so.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Good question. Shouldn't take long to get replacements. It looks like it would work, but I would not chance it for such a cheap and simple repair.

I just keep thinking that the antennas from the controller would be considered “transmitters” and the ones on the drone would be considered “receiving receivers”

I ordered the Antennas you suggested but 3 of the four vertical part of my current landing gear has antennas in them. I would think it would be wise to cover them. I saw them mounted on another forum thread a nd they do look good on that landing gear. Thoughts?

In the P3S, 3 legs of the landing gear are "taken": two by the 5.8GHz antennas, one by the compass wire. If I remember correctly what I read in the Birdside Mod thread - which I suggest you read carefully, from the very beginning - people mount the P3A antennas on the opposite legs than the 5.8GHz antennas, which means that one of them will go on the same leg as the compass.
You can use your current landing gear and zip-tie the P3A antennas, to see how they work. Once you confirm that everything is fine, you can get the P3A landing gear for a cleaner install.

In the P3S, 3 legs of the landing gear are "taken": two by the 5.8GHz antennas, one by the compass wire. If I remember correctly what I read in the Birdside Mod thread - which I suggest you read carefully, from the very beginning - people mount the P3A antennas on the opposite legs than the 5.8GHz antennas, which means that one of them will go on the same leg as the compass.
You can use your current landing gear and zip-tie the P3A antennas, to see how they work. Once you confirm that everything is fine, you can get the P3A landing gear for a cleaner install.

Ok, great. Thanks very much for the good info! all ordered!

You can take the 2 antennas out of the other controller and use them in the a.c. I have done it. Works just fine.

Hello,
This thread touches on my situation.....the black wifi wire (Part 97) broke after a hard landing. I've got an order in for replacing both antenna, but watching a few videos and reading online info, it looks like a pain to open the case just to glue the two new pieces into place. So I'm wondering why these couldn't be mounted birdside similar to some of the dipole concepts? All advice/insight is appreciated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl