Question about AMA membership

Reaction score
I joined the AMA almost a month ago and have still not received anything from them via mail about my membership.

Is this normal and should I just be patient?

Of course, I'm out of town right now and it's probably sitting in my mailbox...

I joined the AMA almost a month ago and have still not received anything from them via mail about my membership.

Is this normal and should I just be patient?

Of course, I'm out of town right now and it's probably sitting in my mailbox...

It took a little over a month to get mine.

My MAAC membership card was in my 'snail box' in less than one week. After paying my yearly dues/fees online.
They also sent me an awesome embroidered crest and a sticker. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Apologies if this sounds dumb but what is AMA and what benefits does membership give? Thanks in advance

Being a MAAC Member has many benefits.
#1: it gives us $7,000,000 liability insurance. ;-)

Go figure. . .

RedHotPoker

Being a MAAC Member has many benefits.
#1: it gives us $7,000,000 liability insurance. ;-)

Go figure. . .

RedHotPoker
I don't know where you got that number.
Here's what the AMA says on their page:
Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
Primary Site Owner Insurance

What? Please ReRead my thread ok? I evidently said MAAC.
As I am clearly Canadian and have no need or use of an American organization. And my mistake, it's been $7,500,000 since 2012.
http://www.maac.ca/en/docs/maac_explained_r2.pdf
But yeah: MODEL AERONAUTICS ASSOCIATION OF CANADA.

I'm happy that you read up on your own info. It's great to be aware.

Have a great day, & go flying, = where I'm going right now, myself. ;-)

RedHotPoker

What? Please ReRead my thread ok? I evidently said MAAC.
As I am clearly Canadian and have no need or use of an American organization. And my mistake, it's been $7,500,000 since 2012.
http://www.maac.ca/en/docs/maac_explained_r2.pdf
But yeah: MODEL AERONAUTICS ASSOCIATION OF CANADA.

I'm happy that you read up on your own info. It's great to be aware.

Have a great day, & go flying, = where I'm going right now, myself. ;-)

RedHotPoker

But that wasn't the question being asked. The originals questions had to do with the AMA and nothing else.

As I was Giving my thoughts from a Canadian perspective. Nothing more. There happen to be a few of us Canadian's on this forum, in case you haven't noticed. So, my thoughts were From Me To Them.

Perhaps I should have just created my own thread.
To be read strictly by those above the 49 parallel, our eyes only!! ;-)

@jason, Which clubs are you personally affiliated with?
I'm also an ERCHA member. Our very own, respected and admired
Edmonton Radio Controlled Helicoper Association.

Look below this thread, there are at least three more threads on the AMA. Plenty of interest to read.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Be careful of friendly fire... Someone still gets hurt!

My credentials arrived in about 2 weeks, IIRC? A month seems a little lengthy but that might depend if they handle new memberships in “batches” at the end of the month, for example?

But, if you have any questions I’ve found the membership email contact to be very helpful and quick to respond to inquiries.

Academy of Model Aeronautics - Headquarters Staff

There will be folks who claim AMA “insurance” is worthless, never paid a claim, etc. I’m sure there’s plenty of “outs” for coverage and you must remember it’s “supplemental” insurance.

But OTOH, if you have a legitimate claim I can’t see it being totally disregarded either? There are steps which can be taken to report nonperformance of insurers to governing bodies.

If nothing else, merely being able to inform bystanders, LE or some authoritative body that you’re a member of AMA and carry $2.5M liability insurance coverage always seems to be a more helpful position than non-member.

Another thing is if you wish to join a local flying club and use their field, AMA membership is generally required due to insurance coverage requirements.

Plus, they’re actively lobbying for fair and better legislation. Perhaps you don’t agree with all their positions, but at least they do more than we can ever do ranting on message boards about this or that…

Finally, it’s good networking with others and opportunity to learn from experienced “pilots”.

Reactions: kenjancef
Be careful of friendly fire... Someone still gets hurt!

Light jabs to the ribs and chest area:
I wear the new Kevlar FLYING SUIT, from @dji.
It even has the updated carbon fiber reinforced lapels. ;-)
The carbon fiber reinforced tinfoil beanie with the carbon fiber reinforced props is on back order. Most all new orders were sent to the good old U S OF A. Preferred Pilots. ;-)
Did you get yours? J/K

RedHotPoker

At first I thought about joining this AMA. But then the bills started to add up as I buy more gear for the Phantom.

What exactly would our Phantom 3 be a model of? Its an aircraft but its not modeled or scaled after anything I know of.

Getting a AMA card will let me get access to a whopping 6 or so RC parks in Phoenix and they are located all over town (Mesa has 1 park, Chandler 1 park, Gilbert don't care). I don't think its worth paying 'some anon dude' out there, what close to a $100 bucks so I can tell random anon strangers, possible angry anti drone people. Not to worry, this AMA will shell out $2.5 million if I'm wreckless and slam my Phantom 3 into the side of their Lamborghini/house when I'm at 1 of the 6 parks. No thanks, that seems like a total rip off, I'm better off flying in the middle of the desert.

This is alot like renting a car and they try to sell you totally useless auto insurance you don't need. They try to close the deal with well just pay $5 bucks a day and if its your fault in an accident just drop off the keys and we'll handle the rest. I say really? For $5 bucks I can now run anybody off the road on their cell phones or bothering me and you'll pay for all the damage I cause for the price of a bigmac?

Good luck on them paying out that auto insurance too.

Thanks all for the lively exchange , I now have an insight into what the AMA is and probably what it isn't!! Safe flying all .

Thanks all for your replies, I still have not seen an AMA letter yet but I still have to go through a stack of mail. I do have my Temp. AMA number.

Looking at the sanctioned AMA fields around me, the nearest one to me wants $80.00 to access the field per year.

Is this normal? Is it high?

I live within the 5 mile radius of New Orleans International airport so everything I want to do in my neighborhood is restricted, naturally. I got away with a lot of things with my P1, but I didn't realize there were rules regarding them until I got my P3P.

Here is the AMA sanctioned club I'm thinking about: Spillway R/C.

@timmer,
It's cost seems reasonable, pretty similar, to us here in the capital city.
I had to join MAAC to become a card carrying member of ERCHA.

It was $84.00 to join MAAC, for one year, then our nominal one time fee of $100.00, & progressive years following $75.00 - per annual.

There are perks of having a designated place to to call your own & fly to your hearts content, while never worrying about bothering anyone.

RedHotPoker

@timmer,
It's cost seems reasonable, pretty similar, to us here in the capital city.
I had to join MAAC to become a card carrying member of ERCHA.

It was $84.00 to join MAAC, for one year, then our nominal one time fee of $100.00, & progressive years following $75.00 - per annual.

There are perks of having a designated place to to call your own & fly to your hearts content, while never worrying about bothering anyone.

RedHotPoker

Thanks RHP!

I just sent an email to the contact at the RC club to see how I should submit the application, as there are no instructions on how to submit the form.

Their next meeting is November 12th, so I may have to wait until then to give them my application, along with a check, or two...

I was very hesitant about joining these organizations. But upon some serious consideration & thought, soon realized, there is no place else, that I can safely fly my TRex 700E that I could ever feel completely comfortable with. A failing or falling Phantom 3 is one thing, but if any 700E scale heli's ever hit someone, it won't be s pretty picture.
Google RC helicopter injuries.

RedHotPoker

I've been an AMA member for.... I don't know how many years and it paid off for our club about 12 years ago. We had been flying at the same location for several years and this lady moved into a house about 1/4 mile from the runway. Suddenly she started having mental problems and it was determined (by her and her Doctor) that her problems were from the "engine sounds of our aircraft". Our club operated well below the max sound levels and we went out of our ways to accommodate her (shorter flying periods, no flying after a certain hour in the evening etc) but she went and hired a big $$ attorney from out of town.

We contacted the AMA and they sent some legal guidance to help us. In a few months not only had we won the lawsuit but she had to pay our attorney fees. She still lives in that same house to this day and as far as I know she's still just as crazy. Our club moved to a different field a few years ago and that one turned into a solar farm. Last time I heard she was complaining that the solar collectors were lighting up her house and she was having vision problems.

Anyway AMA is very inexpensive insurance and it's much better to be a part of the group that has the resources and desire to support our hobby than just out on your own. Strength in #'s.

Reactions: Ti22

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl