putting life back together after a crash

Soldering done. It make look a bit messy but there was a film over the board and it took a bit to get the solder to stick. Alas, the Phantom Assistant still doesn't recognize the battery. Sigh.

Noble effort, but don't give up you're almost there... When the surface mount connector on the motherboard broke off it probably took the printed circuit pads with it... Instead of trying to remount & reflow it, you might consider two alternatives: snip the plug off and solder the leads directly to the board. You'll probably have to scrape way some resist to get to the copper. If the traces are too thin (fragile) try tracing them to another point on the PCB and attaching the leads there. Once tested & done, immobilize the leads with a dab of hot glue so they don't pull on the traces. If you don't want to snip the plug, attach jumpers wires to the socket's gold legs and back to where their pads/traces were on the board.

iDrone

iDrone said:
Noble effort, but don't give up you're almost there... When the surface mount connector on the motherboard broke off it probably took the printed circuit pads with it... Instead of trying to remount & reflow it, you might consider two alternatives: snip the plug off and solder the leads directly to the board. You'll probably have to scrape way some resist to get to the copper. If the traces are too thin (fragile) try tracing them to another point on the PCB and attaching the leads there. Once tested & done, immobilize the leads with a dab of hot glue so they don't pull on the traces. If you don't want to snip the plug, attach jumpers wires to the socket's gold legs and back to where their pads/traces were on the board.

iDrone

iDrone you're spot on. A photo was supposed to upload yesterday showing the solders. But I must not have hit all the buttons on my phone. The surface mounts were torn off so we did snip the wires. My brother did a great job soldering the wires down, though it looks pretty messy. There was a coating on the surface that didn't want to take the solder. Finally he got it down.

I checked to make sure there wasn't a solder bridge and that there was continuity from the contact points in the battery compartment to the circuit board. But when I put a battery in I get the same results; it won't spin up and the Assistant says it doesn't recognize the battery.

I also tried to find another trace that connected to those points- no luck. And there isn't access to the underside of the PCB. Only the largest solder points are visible on the underside. Everything else is covered.

Not sure what to do now….

Attachments

• close up of solder.JPG
    close up of solder.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 328
Not sure what to do now….

Open your wallet.....
Don't do it again......
and or quit if you cant fly these.

Cjrt546 said:
Stop being a cheap fk and send it to Dronefly.com to be properly fixed I flew mine into a group if people and I admired my mistake and moved in.

You "Admired" your mistake?
So you like chopping people up into little pieces?

How bout you just admit it and move on.
Yes, admit you are a ******* and move on....
Did you try brushing your teeth with the Phantom props yet?

mduehmig said:
...when I put a battery in I get the same results; it won't spin up and the Assistant says it doesn't recognize the battery.

You might try checking continuity from each spring-loaded gold pin to the other end of each wire soldered to the board just in case there's a break in the wire, at the pin terminals, or inside the spring-loaded ***'y. Also check the pads on the battery with a loop or by pressing with a toothpick to see if its PCB is solid or might have cracked.

iDrone

iDrone- I did the continuity test on the wires between pins and PCB. That is good but I really can't tell if the wires are soldered on to good contacts on the PCB.

Nvr2fst- I'm not against sending it to someone to fix it "properly" but if I CAN fix it, then that would have been least expensive, fastest, and I'd come away knowing more about my bird than I could ever read.

So the question is, where would I send it? And at what point do I replace it and use this one as a hanger queen?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik