PS3 Standard, 5.8 connector broken

Why couldnt one install the wire onto the stud and solder the connector to the area where the socket is soldered to the board?

It was considered, but after consulting with some guys who are better at soldering than I am, it was thought the center pin would probably not handle the solder heat without the entire mount coming off the board. However, seeing as I didn't try this, I suppose it might work. It was easier for me to return the PCB back to as close to original as possible, and go from there. BTW the board mount isn't the one that becomes problematic with repeated removal of the antenna. It's the connector on the antenna that can only be pushed on, and removed, a cpl of times before it fails. The board mount is the more resilient of the two. Go figure.

Soldering it by hand would most likely heat it up to much and damage it. It is recommended to use a small about of hot melt glue just before the connector on the wire, not on the connector itself.

Soldering it by hand would most likely heat it up to much and damage it. It is recommended to use a small about of hot melt glue just before the connector on the wire, not on the connector itself.

I've done 2 successfully, by hand. It's definitely not for someone with hand tremors, or a weak heart !

Anyone tell me why I cant see a contact for the centre pin?

Attachments

• 20161102_113158.jpg
    20161102_113158.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 295

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav