Props in shot with gimbal

Reaction score
I am hoping to get myself a gimbal before too long. On watching a wide variety of videos there is a mix where there is no props in shot, occasional glimpses or there always in shot. I am assuming that you can adjust the position of the camera in the gimbal? Or are the videos without them just cropped out? Having flown my Phantom with a fixed GoPro I can see they would normally only appear when the craft swings up or down particulary on a windy day. But it would useful to know how to get the best results.
Do all makes of gimbal work more or less in the same way? I was thinking of getting the aeroxcraft one.

cheers

bil

If you set up your gimbal so that it has pitch control from the Tx, then you can just angle the camera down a bit to get rid of props in the shot. If you do not have Tx pitch control then you can mechanically angle the camera down with a small strip of plastic or Velcro or almost anything on the back of the camera support platform. Just experiment a bit and you will find the right spot.

Also, keeping the movement of the quad smooth and sedate will help.

Finally there is the option to crop the video to remove the props from shot assuming you have software capable of doing this.

Fwiw

J

I don't have pitch control configured on my Phantom, but do have a gimbal. So...My aeroxcraft gimbal does a level test when it's powered up and that becomes its reference for the flight. If I'm thinking ahead I power up the phantom on a flat surface, let it settle and record home, then put a small wedge, stick or pebble under the skid to tip the front up a few degrees, then turn on the gopro, then power up the gimbal (I have installed a tiny power switch inline so I can control the gimbal). The gimbal is horizontal to the horizon and when flying now points down a few degrees. For the most part it keeps the props out and gives a better flying position than level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav