Propeller issue

I'm in a remote corner of Iceland. This afternoon, a gust of wind flipped my P4P v2 just as it was taking off. No damage done as it wasn't off the ground. But the props took a beating.

I have a set of replacement props (from DJI). While the 'black' pair was easy to screw in, the silver pair just doesn't lock. They seem too tight. I don't know what to do and tomorrow I was planning a day long shoot. I can only get another set when I go back to Reykjavík.

See the damaged prop in the attached photos which show its two ends. This is the only prop that is truly beaten. Structurally it looks sound except for the tips. Would it be okay to fly with this?
I had the almost exact experience you did and I blamed it on me trying to fly on a windy, gusty day. My P4P would sit there with the props spinning and the moment I tried to take off, the drone would flip on it's side and beat the props on the ground. I did a little research and found the the problem wasn't the wind at all. It was because my IMU needed calibrating! As soon as I did that, my P4P took off fine on any windy day and never tried to tip over in the slightest. Check your IMU calibration. It worked for me. Then you can test it with your old props just to see if it will lift off the ground. Make sure none are cracked anywhere, especially at the hub. Don't do any serious flying until you replace your props.

Update: I had replacement propellers flown in on a regular scheduled flight and picked them up at a regional airport. The strange thing is that these replacement (to my replacement) props have the exact same issue: the black pair screws on easily, the silver pair doesn't. These are from the same shop in Reykjavík and they tested these on their demo drone before shipping them out. I am going to go into the store on Monday and get to the bottom of this.

Strange how 2 sets of genuine DJI propellers don't lock
The black props are an anti-clockwise lock and the silver props are a clockwise lock

Strange how 2 sets of genuine DJI propellers don't lock
The black props are an anti-clockwise lock and the silver props are a clockwise lock
Yeh for sure,,1 set mayby but not 2,,that's why I mention early about seeing if it locked on opposite prop lock,I did accidentally do this one day when I replaced the tab locks on motor,instant tip over and broke a prop,,what a idiot but rookie moment lol,,,now I know what black dot for on prop locks,,,duh,,its to match the prop colour,,stop laughing now ! @RPP post some pics so we can see aswell what going on,,,I know the top of p4 props comes off,,mayby they stuck the wrong colour tops on wrong props,,,do they have leading edge going the right way ?

This is what I try to explain.all phantom 4 props do this and wonder if wrong top colours got mixed up..these cheap spares had small amount of cheap glue,,,,I discover this when some flax Bush caught my prop and tied me drone up(flew to close) and the white phantom top was missing after that
16011159449123289259474877202831.jpg

Reactions: xmtrdr
I have flown extensively in Iceland where conditions are often windy to very windy to gale-force windy. Even in relatively light wind, you have to always watch out for the gusts. I am always on edge during my missions here and take nothing for granted. The P4P v2 is one tough little bird, but I know its limits and I do not take undue risks.

The most vulnerable time for the drone is right at take-off where an ill-timed gust can knock it over. That's exactly what happened. If I had gotten it up in the air, it would have been a go.
I know exactly what you mean. I had a similar event while landing once. But we do have to take advantage of those possible once in a life time shots. I have seen some very beautiful pictures from Iceland from a friend who visits there! Very beautiful!

This is what I try to explain.all phantom 4 props do this and wonder if wrong top colours got mixed up..these cheap spares had small amount of cheap glue,,,,I discover this when some flax Bush caught my prop and tied me drone up(flew to close) and the white phantom top was missing after thatView attachment 120178
Interesting! All the more reason to stick with the genuine DJI props!

Interesting! All the more reason to stick with the genuine DJI props!
They do it aswell,,yes genuine dji 9450s,,,mayby someone in factory not happy with their wages and seek revenge by switching tops lol......see I not really crazy
16011899713246474222119083776843.jpg
16011901928785517980515895809581.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xmtrdr
I'm in a remote corner of Iceland. This afternoon, a gust of wind flipped my P4P v2 just as it was taking off. No damage done as it wasn't off the ground. But the props took a beating.

I have a set of replacement props (from DJI). While the 'black' pair was easy to screw in, the silver pair just doesn't lock. They seem too tight. I don't know what to do and tomorrow I was planning a day long shoot. I can only get another set when I go back to Reykjavík.

See the damaged prop in the attached photos which show its two ends. This is the only prop that is truly beaten. Structurally it looks sound except for the tips. Would it be okay to fly with this?

I would smooth out the tips and you should be fine. My concern would be balance. Whatever you do to one rotor you must do to the opposing rotor.

Regarding fitment issues, I would avoid aftermarket props like the plague.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also, when taking off in windy conditions, one must be very aggressive with the throttle. If I'm flying a waypoint mission, I'll take off and then upload the mission while the bird is 6' in the air. Waypoint software doesn't take off nearly aggressive enough for windy conditions.

D

Update #2:

I went to the store today, an authorized DJI dealer. Turns out that the props needed a push in. The tech screwed and unscrewed the props a few times before the plastic 'relaxed.' It is now a tight fit but not so tight that I can't get them on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers