Prop screws

Reaction score
Had a bit of an issue and if it's been covered my apologies.
I bought a p3 standard the other month and the guy I bought it off couldn't remove the prop guard attachment from the phantom.
I managed to remove it and reinserted the screws, unbeknown to me the screws are longer than the standard screws and after putting the screws back I started my p3. I have now found out that I have ruined 1 motor because of this, so it's just a heads up that if you remove the prop guard attachment make sure you put the original screws back in otherwise you ruin the motor as they go right inside the motor. So now I'm trying to find 4 screws to fit my replacement motor which I will be fitting when it arrives. Anyone have spares or know where I can buy them in the uk??? Cheers

You should receive motor screws along with your new motor. They can also be purchased separately by buying the Phantom 3 screw pack. Here are a few places to purchase it:

Had a bit of an issue and if it's been covered my apologies.
I bought a p3 standard the other month and the guy I bought it off couldn't remove the prop guard attachment from the phantom.
I managed to remove it and reinserted the screws, unbeknown to me the screws are longer than the standard screws and after putting the screws back I started my p3. I have now found out that I have ruined 1 motor because of this, so it's just a heads up that if you remove the prop guard attachment make sure you put the original screws back in otherwise you ruin the motor as they go right inside the motor. So now I'm trying to find 4 screws to fit my replacement motor which I will be fitting when it arrives. Anyone have spares or know where I can buy them in the uk??? Cheers
It's happened quite a few times to others here in various ways. See this search:- Search Results for Query: prop guards damaged windings screws | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

If you've only damaged one motor then you're quite lucky - but I would do a careful full visual check on the windings of the other three and be very wary of any possible resultant developing problems on them in the future.

Adding to msinger's useful post, it'll probably be quicker and cheaper to get them shipped from Edinburgh from ebay.co.uk if you need more, see here. DJI Phantom 3 Part 41 Screw Set | eBay

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for the comments. I just spoke to the guy I've bought the new motor from and he sending the screws as well so bonus there. Can't wait to get back out again pity I didn't get chance over the weekend to fly as the weather was awesome

There was only one prop guard mount on it as the other 3 had been removed already so yes I'm very lucky

There was only one prop guard mount on it as the other 3 had been removed already so yes I'm very lucky
Yep - I did wonder if that (thankfully) was the case or if you'd just used the definitive article and singular due to 'lazy English'.. Of course, normally there are 4 mounts....

I had detachable prop guards on my P3P from Day 1 (about 1.5 years ago) and very soon stopped using the guards. However, I left the mounts on as in my reckoning it helps spreads the loads and stresses on the arms, thus reducing the risk of developing shell cracks.

But that's another story..... :)

Any decent screw shop sells suitable countersunk head screws ....

These are the measurements of original screws :

4 main motor mount screws :
Total length incl head : 7.6mm
Length of thread part : 6mm
M3 thread.

2 shell screws just inboard of the motor screws :
Total length incl head : 6mm
Length of thread part : 4.5mm
M2.5 thread.

The longer screws can of course be used - but must have a washer to compensate for the length excess.

Nigel

I just received a P3P from a friend's estate which had the prop guards on. I placed the same screws which held the prop guards on after removing them. I have flown the P3P several times since without issue. My question is do I need to check the length of the screws I put back in? Are the screws which held the guards on definitely longer and maybe I'm just lucky they aren't hitting the motors?
TIA, Carl

I just received a P3P from a friend's estate which had the prop guards on. I placed the same screws which held the prop guards on after removing them. I have flown the P3P several times since without issue. My question is do I need to check the length of the screws I put back in? Are the screws which held the guards on definitely longer and maybe I'm just lucky they aren't hitting the motors?
TIA, Carl

I think you are lucky ....

If its working OK ... then why worry ?

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20