Prop scratching arm

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just got my P3 yesterday and decided to take it out for a flight. After 4-5 flights I put it away for the day, not wanting to do too much on my first day with it. Today, I took it out again and flew up about 40 or so feet, directly up. Unfortunately a gust of wind took it and I'm pretty new to flying, especially this new machine, and I started to freak out. I lost orientation and the wind was pushing it, anyway, long story short it hit a tree. Fell to the ground from about 20 feet, and now the propeller is hitting the shell on top. Wondering if I'm completely screwed or if I can replace the shell with a P2 shell or something. The shell is clearly cracked in a few places on the arm where it scratches, and it doesn't appear the underside is damaged all that much. Really hoping there's a way for me to fix this, it'd be heartbreaking if there's nothing I can do. Is it enough to play around with it until it's not touching anymore? I'm worried some how it may be off balance now. Basically, I don't know what to do and I'm worried. Like I said, I'm new to this and DEFINITELY learned a lesson today. I got too eager and now I'm paying for it.

Pics???

OK, the bad news is that there have been no 'sightings' of spare parts yet.

OK, the bad news is that there have been no 'sightings' of spare parts yet.
I'm fine with waiting, I'd just be relieved to know it can be fixed without having to buy a new one. Do you know if I would be able to use the shell of a p2 or p2v+ (if the only problem is the shell)? Is there any difference in the shells?

P2 - P3 shells are not interchangeable. You must wait for P3 parts.

I think we've gone over the P3 - P2 parts commonalities, and its a short list:

Color band decals.
Prop-guards.

Ok, Ok, it's not even a list!

Edit: I forgot prop--guards... now it's list

Reactions: Ezookiel
P2 - P3 shells are not interchangeable. You must wait for P3 parts.

I think we've gone over the P3 - P2 parts commonalities, and its a short list:

Color band decals.

Ok, Ok, it's not even a list!

Ahh, well thanks for the help! I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I get home.

How much wind were you flying in?
The P3 can handle a good amount of wind without drifting when having full GPS lock.

Had the same problem with my p2 no crack do i fixed by heating the upper shell on a flat table did the same with bottom motor down till all motor where touching table after Imu cal birds is like new you can fill crack with exposi till you get new shell

Here are the pictures, any help at all would be great
http://imgur.com/a/xRf5G

Also, I tried to push the plastic away from the prop where it was hitting, and it's no longer actually coming in contact with the body, however it's still very close to touching and it's much closer than the other props(shown in pics). I just took it up a couple feet in my back yard to see if it would fly at all, and it does, however it's extremely wobbly. Not sure if this is because of the dirty/scratched props (none of them were severely damaged) or because of the difference in distance between the broken arm and the others.

How much wind were you flying in?
The P3 can handle a good amount of wind without drifting when having full GPS lock.
As I said, I'm a novice and the wind scared me. I had a little micro drone to fly around and practice with while I was waiting for the P3 to release - obviously now I know it's completely different with the big ones. I guess I tried to do too much with too little experience, as the slight gust of wind pushed it a bit towards the tree I panicked and I guess I forgot the orientation and must have ran it in there. It's really hard to remember because it happened so fast. However I was in beginner mode so there was definitely a GPS lock.

Had the same problem with my p2 no crack do i fixed by heating the upper shell on a flat table did the same with bottom motor down till all motor where touching table after Imu cal birds is like new you can fill crack with exposi till you get new shell
That's something I've considered. Not sure if it'll work with what I have done to mine though. How did yours compare to the pictures I posted?

almost the same trust me it will fly fine. this is how I did it removed upper shell and used a heat gun that i have for my remote planes, a hair dryer will do the same, set the shell upside down and heat the cracked arm from top and sides, flipped and do the same and star to make it go flat on top of table, you will see that it bend back to his original form, on the bottom use set it with motor shaft facing the table and heat the arm till that motors shaft is flat on surface like the other motor,before you fly it you must do a Full IMU cal even if assit set is ok, I did use the other set of props that came with it and it flies perfect, since the crack is in the upper arm it wont have any effect on stress, you can re enforced with epoxy, rust me your bird is fine keep me posted good luck and keep on flying, any Q IM me
Mariano
Ps: Put a towell on top of table before taking it apart so screws don't get lost

Hard to tell from those pics.

All the shell damage looks like downward force. Yet the prop is closer to the body.

Is this all the same arm? If so, I'm guessing the motor is no longer seated properly.

Show us a pic of the motor and how it's seated. Back up a little and let us see the entire bird.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers