Prop Question

Reaction score
Do props have a "shelf life?" How many flights should I make with a set of props without any nicks or scratches or cracks of any kind?

Also... does anyone want 3 sets of DJI propeller knock offs before I chuck them in the trash? :laughing:

Do props have a "shelf life?" How many flights should I make with a set of props without any nicks or scratches or cracks of any kind?

Also... does anyone want 3 sets of DJI propeller knock offs before I chuck them in the trash? :laughing:
Unless they are chipped or cracked, I think they are fine. I've had my P3S for almost a year and still have the original props on the AC. I've heard of people keeping them in service even longer than that.

Nevertheless, I'm guessing there is a stress factor and I have recently purchased a new set I'm going to deploy very soon. Not worth the risk to save $9.

Reactions: Bobby T
I’ve logged about 800 klms on my original props that are checked each flight and basically left on the quad when in storage. Recently changed to the new ‘quieter’ props but would have continued with the original set otherwise. As for the knock offs, I’ve never been tempted to either purchase or use them, so they would go in the wheely bin if they were handed to me.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
How many flights should I make with a set of props without any nicks or scratches or cracks of any kind?
You will likely be able to use them for years. Make sure you carefully inspect them prior to each use to make sure they are in good shape.

Still using my original props over a year now, and except for some insect guts that won't wipe off with iso-alcohol wipes they're fine.

Do your knockoffs have a DJ logo on them? Asking because if so, it's going to be even harder to make sure to have OEM props.

I’ve logged about 800 klms on my original props that are checked each flight and basically left on the quad when in storage. Recently changed to the new ‘quieter’ props but would have continued with the original set otherwise. As for the knock offs, I’ve never been tempted to either purchase or use them, so they would go in the wheely bin if they were handed to me.
That's where the knock offs are going. I was just joking about offering them out. I'm almost sure that anyone here on the forum would do the same with them.

Still using my original props over a year now, and except for some insect guts that won't wipe off with iso-alcohol wipes they're fine.

Do your knockoffs have a DJ logo on them? Asking because if so, it's going to be even harder to make sure to have OEM props.
No... they don't have any logo on them. Another way I could tell that they were only knock offs is the black and silver bands are much thicker than the OEM. Don't for get that I was a complete newb when I bought them thinking that I was saving a ton of money. I used them for one flight and they seemed to be working just fine. I was changing a battery and when I tried to take off again the bird lifted from the back and it flipped over. I had a look at them and everything seemed fine. Tried again and got the same results. I swapped them out for an OEM set and everything was fine. That's how I found out that the cheap ones should not be used. EVER!!! Into the trash bin they went. I consider myself very lucky that I got away without a disaster happening during the one flight I used them.

Reactions: umanbean
No... they don't have any logo on them. Another way I could tell that they were only knock offs is the black and silver bands are much thicker than the OEM.

Thank you for the info. As responsible operators, we have enough to be concerned about without worrying that a logo'd prop could actually be an el cheapo, and just a matter of time before it flies apart.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Right Msinger and all the others too : No nicks or scratches and i have not seen where any one said : " Well Balanced " ! the other day when i landed late in the evening....the front edge of the props had red streaks of them.....i guess i had to fly thru a swarm of skeeters and i have seen swarms of them before and im sure many others have too !

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby T
The reason why I won't use the 3rd party props is because the first flight I made with them seemed to go well. After changing to a fresh battery I hit auto takeoff and the drone did not go up... it did a flip backwards. I checked and rechecked them and everything else. When I tried to take off again, the drone did the exact same thing... a flip backwards. I swapped the props to a set of DJI OEM and everything was perfect. I'm feeling lucky that the drone wouldn't take off the second time because after what I saw I could have lost it.

On close inspection it is obvious that the 3rd party prop's materials are very much inferior in quality as well. When I bend them back and forth the DJI props are much stiffer when compared to the cheaper ones.

After paying the amount of money I did for my Phantom I refuse to take the risk of crashing it all because I wanted to save a few bucks by buying cheap knock off props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94