prop guards

wph

Reaction score
Just got my new P3 standard last week, been practicing with flight simulator only. Watched lots of you tube vids and have seen many adverts for prop guards. Are they beneficial or required?

I'm not gonna go into the pro's and con's on this wph as there's so many threads already on it and sure some will chime in .
But I do want to say IF you use them and take them off be sure you have saved the original screws and put those back in as not to be another who has messed up his motors from putting the longer screws back in .

I think it all depends on your risk level and you seem to be taking many steps to get yourself prepared to flight, which is great.
Only speaking for myself, after not flying drones or RC toys for many years, my first flight with the P3 was very easy. I stayed on Beginner mode for a month, flew in open spaces as often as I could and so far, so good. I have not used prop guards but it would have not hurt in case of close calls.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just got my new P3 standard last week, been practicing with flight simulator only. Watched lots of you tube vids and have seen many adverts for prop guards. Are they beneficial or required?

They are beneficial if you like scrapping concrete walls lol saves my props many times. Now I'm a master i took them off. [emoji106]

Thanks all for the advice. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day to put the props on and take off!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Do the guards effect performance? Just wondered what the advantage is to removing them.

I am new to the phantom and bought a set of the ones that snap in and out of the mount you install. Being new I run them but I can see eventually taking them back off. As for an affect on performance, some say they drain the battery a little faster. Not really sure about that but have notice the drone moves around move with them in a breeze.

Prop guards do work for me on the standard , the only thing i noticed when editing on video there were a few instances where they came into video shot, that was because i throttled forward the drone dipped slightly meaning the tip of the guards came into video shot , apart from smoother flying required from me the positives were that the bird was a lot more visible in the sky

The Drone Ranger

Because when it hits something the guards move up into the blades and give the blades more things to hit

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Most crashes are at a low enough speed that the guards don't bend that far to come into contact with the props. If your going 30 mph into the side of a building or tree trunk, I don't think anything is going to protect the props. I've read many posts of them saving the props from damage, and some that think their skill is sufficient not to warrant having them. But never read even one store of causing damage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl