Professional Behavior

MDR

Reaction score
I am enjoying this forum. It has provided alot of great information.
What is disturbing, is the few folks on here that feel it is OK to be harsh with their statements. I got off Facebook years ago, due to that behavior.
It is obvious there is a great base of knowledge here from all walks of life. A new person though, may be afraid to ask a question, for fear of being told to "look it up"
Remember, new folks often just want to strike up a conversation, and that is a way to do it.
I am sure several of us are retired and/or disabled, so this helps us to be involved in something productive.
So, I would ask the moderator to weed out the negativity, and keep this welcoming.
Anyone agree ?
.......Thank you

I can get behind some of your point. I do like the open, conversation-minded idea. But, as I'm sure you've seen, having the same question asked over and over, in some cases literally posted beneath a thread with the EXACT same question, simply clogs the forums and slows everyone down. There has to be a balance, but we can't do all the work for every newbie that arrives!

Just my $0.02.

-Mike

Good point.
Maybe a sub group listing, for new folks who can have their questions answered by folks who have time.

Reactions: IflyinWY
There will always be folks who cannot/ will not study throughly.
This may lead to some of the unfortunate demise of some of these machines.
If they are in a sub group, or moved there by the moderator until it is their turn, they MAY spend some time researching until their number comes up.

An old forum I used to be on (different hobby) had an "any questions" part so any new (or rehashed) questions went in there and new users would be shown it on joining so they knew it was there.
That way only people who wanted to answer the question did so often with a link to a previously discussed/answered question which felt a lot friendlier than being told to look it up.

Anyway I'm a read everything before asking new user so.. Hi !

Great way to handle new members questions !
And hello to you .......

Reactions: Bean
MDR....I hear what you are saying and if you had been here a year ago you would be amazed at just how much better it is
now than then .
You would also be amazed at how many times this has been brought up !
You are always going to have some rude folks on here and the Mod's and Jacob do a fine job of trying to keep it down .
Ignore the rude one's or report them . Mod's can't be everywhere all the time but do see a flag when something is reported .
As far as having a sub forum like what you speak of ..well you would never find out nothing quick if you found out anything at all !
Just jump in on the forum which you need to be in and if you don't see what you are after start a topic with it . Sure ya gonna see some
RTM answer's but you gonna see some good one's also .
We are seeing so many new member's now that don't look around but just ask it's amazing . I just looked and 12 new folk's have joined
in the last 7 hours and it's like that now everyday .
This isn't a perfect forum and never will be but it's as close to one as I have ever been in !!
And welcome to the forum MDR and Bean :)

MDR the search IflyinWy has in his signature which I wish was at the top of all pages will take you to anything that's in this forum !
If more knew of it that would stop some of what you speak of .
Just saying... and try and not let the rude folks let you enjoy being in here ;)

So to MDR, and Bean I say, Welcome to the party.

Yep, we've got our fair share of "Sharp Tongues". Sometimes I can be one of them too. Usually I'm just trying to help. As Dirk said, our forum is growing at some kind of crazy pace. So many folks ask the same question every day, it's like hanging out with a 4 year old who keeps asking "WHY" over and over again.

I recently replied to a new members questions until he/she posted the 4th thread within the hour. Every question could have been answered by skimming the manual. Finally on the 5th thread... some serious *** chewing by members who are here to help. Not one of us, that I know of, likes to "Spoon Feed", nor do we want to have to ask 5 questions, like which Phantom do you have, which gimbal do you have, did you do a compass and IMU calibration. It gets old and we get impatient. We're human, and sometimes have a bad day.

As for those members who are lurking in the shadows just waiting to pounce on someone... try the ignore technique. It may be tough to do, but well worth the effort. :D

The "REPORT" button works pretty well... ;)
At the bottom of (I think) each and every page is a link to "Forum Guidelines". Personally, I like to see folks stick to them. If they did, you would not have started this thread.

FYI, if you hang out for a while, you may notice me and Dirkclod hanging out together. Dirks my bud and we have some seriously fun times, ANYWHERE in the forum. Sometimes we have so much fun the thread gets sent to OT.
Which brings up the "Forum Playground"...

Off Topic
It's a great place to visit and do some cuttin' up. :p
Jump in anywhere, or start your own.

Maybe ya'll should keep your eyes open for a new members thread there. A little birdie just said there might be one coming... LOL

In case you can't find it, here's a few links:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/global-warming-naw-wyoming-is-blessed.34372/

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/i-want-a-weather-station-setup.44310/

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/please-tell-me-super-moderators.37322/

Last edited:
My apologies to the OP of the thread I am linking to, but it's just too funny to pass up.

Here's an example of some folks who have been around a while, "having fun" at a newbie's expense. Now mind you, the OP "seems" to have not read the manual. If you do what he did, you're gonna get this, or something a bit less amusing.

Seriously, it's worth the read, just for the laughs. Newbies do me a favor, and pretend your not new while reading this. It will be a lot funnier.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/new-and-need-help.44875/

Don't be surprised if the above thread is removed by management. It works right now, who knows about tomorrow. Hell, by tomorrow I may get a vacation. LOL

Ya Got Em Good.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bean and dirkclod
Now that's the sense of humor I appreciate !
Love the four year old analogy.......
I used the Facebook comparison, as I have seen that do a lot of harm. These days people get their feelings hurt, next thing you know, they are trying to hunt you down...... Yes.......as former law enforcement, saw it happen.
Just want to fly now, and really appreciate the freedom this little bird gives me.
Thanks guys.....and maybe girls.....BTW......where are the girls ? They can't fly ? Too tough ?

Now that's the sense of humor I appreciate !
Love the four year old analogy.......
I used the Facebook comparison, as I have seen that do a lot of harm. These days people get their feelings hurt, next thing you know, they are trying to hunt you down...... Yes.......as former law enforcement, saw it happen.
Just want to fly now, and really appreciate the freedom this little bird gives me.
Thanks guys.....and maybe girls.....BTW......where are the girls ? They can't fly ? Too tough ?
They here and being ex LE ya should beable to hunt em down :D I know lots of em but gonna keep em to myself :rolleyes:
:):D:):D:p

Got a great one now.....
She always tells me, If we can pay the bills, buy all the toys you want. Even though, in a very serious tone, I tell her...it's not a toy ! Now that's a keeper !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.