Phantom EOL?

If you don't want to watch the entire 48 minute video to find that question, then click here to jump right to it.

Reactions: sar104
If you don't want to watch the entire 48 minute video to find that question, then click here to jump right to it.

Oh yes, thank you. Again....

TLDR: It was a good long run, but the Phantom class UAV - except for the P4 RTK - is over.

It is going to be Mavic all the way down. Personally, I'm a bit conflicted. I like the Mavic (have a pro) but it really suffers in moderate winds. Or at least the system whines about it all of the time. I'm often flying in winds that the P4 is 'happy' with but sets up warnings on the Mavic.

I see DJI working to push down the flight capabilities of consumer drones and working on user friendliness, easier output to social media and all sorts of consumery things. The Phantoms really were more aircraft than many UAV pilots should be allowed control. That's something that was going to eventually bite DJI hard. I think they're going to try to place a wider barrier between consumer and pro craft. Which is unfortunate for those who would like near pro capabilities but have wives who take exception to 5 digit charges on the old credit card.

I agree with Romeo; It never made much sense for them to sell two different sized products, at the same price point with almost identical features.

P5 would have to live somewhere between the M2P and I2 line so we'd be looking at a $1750~ 2,500 device that would have to better than the M2P series yet no overlap with the I2 series.

This is actually good news for companies like Yuneec where their Typhoon series now stands a fighting chance to fill a void in the prosumer market.

Thanks for the link - good interview.

With no DJI stock of any Phantoms since late November and with no explanation, I think most of us were seeing this coming. Either a Phantom 5 on the way (now seemingly quite unlikely), or just a quiet phasing out of the Phantoms with no fanfare whatsoever. I agree with the interviewer on the video that the Phantom style is the worldwide iconic image of a drone. How can you eliminate the icon that made DJI famous and the leading manufacturer? So ... fly your Phantoms smart and carefully as finding a replacement or spare parts will be getting scarce (and expensive) shortly. Good flying to all Phantom pilots. I'm keeping mine, along with my old classic sports car. About the same level of fun.

Reactions: Tenisyn
If this is the word then why does DJI still have the phantom 4 on their store as Out of Stock instead of discontinued? Just wondering.

Maybe because it's a secret. They don't want to give away any plan to announce a P5 or the end of life for the P4 line.
Attempting to tie the P4 pro being out of stock and not manufactured since late October with a possible future release of a new product makes no sense at all.
Could you imagine Toyota dealerships being empty for five months because a new model is coming?

I guess they want to make smaller lighter drones, but I dont see why they would not want to keep the Phantom name going. Pretty dumb move in my opinion. Kinda like Ford discontinuing the Mustang, or Chevy doing away with the Camaro.

With no DJI stock of any Phantoms since late November and with no explanation, I think most of us were seeing this coming. Either a Phantom 5 on the way (now seemingly quite unlikely), or just a quiet phasing out of the Phantoms with no fanfare whatsoever. I agree with the interviewer on the video that the Phantom style is the worldwide iconic image of a drone. How can you eliminate the icon that made DJI famous and the leading manufacturer? So ... fly your Phantoms smart and carefully as finding a replacement or spare parts will be getting scarce (and expensive) shortly. Good flying to all Phantom pilots. I'm keeping mine, along with my old classic sports car. About the same level of fun.
I'm having a hard time understanding this. If the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 has the best camera, why would it be discontinued. I have gotten to the point where I can buy one possible next week. If they are discontinuing it, buying one they don't make anymore would be a bad idea. Any ideas?

I'm having a hard time understanding this. If the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 has the best camera, why would it be discontinued. I have gotten to the point where I can buy one possible next week. If they are discontinuing it, buying one they don't make anymore would be a bad idea. Any ideas?
You need only look at the history with earlier phantoms to expect, with some confidence, that parts will continue to be available for an extended period and that any applicable warranty will be honoured.

To the extent firmware updates aren’t frequent or perhaps might not occur you can be confident there are plenty of well resolved stable releases. Similarly the current and earlier GO4 versions work fine.

The P4P is very good. If you don’t grab it someone else will. I was at an authorised DJI seller a couple of days ago and the owner was on the phone out back actively trying to negotiate with other sellers to buy whatever he could of unsold new stock. There is more demand than supply and many will pay a premium to secure one.

Reactions: Tenisyn

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1