Problem with h.265 footage - "broken GOP"?

The difficulty editing H.265 is going away as newer PC's with CPU and/or GPU's with native support for H.265 go mainstream. I have a high end home built PC that's 2.7 years old now but I edit H.265 all the time. I do not uses proxies -- if I were going to I'd shoot in H.264 and avoid the need. What I do is build the timeline and edit/cut the scenes without effects or color grading -- just the raw footage. Then, when I have the scenes the way I like I'll adjust contrast, sharpen, etc to get the footage to look the way I want. Lastly, I add or modify the audio. Doing it this way makes it easier on the PC.

Again, this problem will pretty much go away as more capable CPU's and GPU's arrive with native H.265 support -- there are some CPU's and GPU's that already do but they're pretty pricey at the moment.

Brian

I use the most recent version of FCPX on my iMac Pro running High Sierra. It edits H.265 just fine but myself tests haven't shown any real visible difference in quality between it and H264 (even in high detail footage). It certainly can't be pushed in color correction any more (both being 8 bit and all). Personally I think it's more efficient in it's compression algorithm but not a real substantive improvement as far as image quality is concerned.

Yeah, it's hard to know how well implemented H.265 is with the P4P or who actually coded it for DJI. DJI's history is a bit spotty with image processing so it's entirely possible that H.265, as implemented by DJI, is no better than H.264. I tend to use H.265 as my PC is pretty decent so I'm willing to gamble on it being somewhat better and I have video that I'm quite happy with that was shot in H.265.

But, if you shoot in H.265 then transcode to H.264 you'd be better off shooting in H.264 to begin with -- a second lossy compression isn't going to improve your video particularly since editing and rendering is already doing a second lossy compression.

Brian

Thank you Brian, I understand...but h264 and 265 are compressed, so if I choose h264 at the very end It should be compressed just one more time before watching on tv....or not?
I can clearly see a difference in noise, h265 is much better, image is cleaner, just a little less sharpned and more natural looking IMHO....

I made some tests, h265 is superior in terms of noise and consistency. From now I'll shot in h265 and then export in h264 or directly in h265 ( I use Davinci and I'm afraid I can't export in h265!!)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj