Preventing Lost Drone

Reaction score
I am new to this so I was reading old posts about people finding drones and searching for the owner. In a few of the posts, people looked at the SD card for clues.

I just created a text file called "Owner Info.txt" and put my name, phone numbers, and email address in it. I then copied the file to the top level directory on the SD card.

I never expect to loose my drone, but who does?

Ken
===

Don't forget your .txt file will go bye-bye when you format it though.

Reactions: livefreeanddrone
Yes, but there is no reason to ever format an SD card after the first time.
It's good practice to re-format after emptying your card, it keeps your reading and writing speeds up.

I just created a text file called "Owner Info.txt" and put my name, phone numbers, and email address in it. I then copied the file to the top level directory on the SD card.

You can do that if you choose but, you're leaving far too much to chance. Why not make it easy for whoever finds your drone and do as was suggested above and just attach a weatherproof label or tag somewhere visible on the shell? You attach your contact info once and you're done. The average person finding your drone isn't going to take the time or effort to search the SD card looking for your contact info. In fact, most people probably don't know there's an SD card in the camera, or wouldn't even think to look on the SD card for your contact info. The person who found my P3S called me not long after it got lost simply because I had an ID tag attached to the shell. Trust me, she NEVER would have looked any further than that for my ID because she had no clue it even had an SD card, or a camera, for that matter. Just my two cents.

You can do that if you choose but, you're leaving far too much to chance. Why not make it easy for whoever finds your drone and do as was suggested above and just attach a weatherproof label or tag somewhere visible on the shell? You attach your contact info once and you're done.
I'm not saying that a data file is the only ID I have on my drone. It is just one more way that someone might find me. A label has limited space and may fall off or get destroyed. The chip has unlimited space for information and will likely survive most crashes and weather.

I used a black Sharpie marker to write
If Found Call for reward-
225-9**-***
under the battery compartment. I will gladly slap a $100 bill into the hand of anyone who shows up with my lost P3S if it ever goes missing.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I have a waterproof sticker on the bottom of my drone that has my FAA registration, phone number, and "REWARD if returned!"

I used a label maker and placed my phone number and text reward if found. I lost a drone and one month later rexieved a call as it had been found. Turned put that it was stuck on the top of a pine tree and eventualy the win tricked it down to the ground The person who found it declined the reward. The drone survived. I doubt that the finder would have known to check the sd card so I higjly rcomend a visable label.
-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan