President in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I live in N.J. The President or some VIP is in town. There is a TFR Restriction for most of N.J. I live about 35 miles from his golf course and couldn't fly all 4th of July weak.
The phantom would not even start.It said Can't fly. I looked in to this and the President
is going to be at his golf course for most or August. Is there anything I can do ? Or I
just can't fly next month.

The TFR is (and will be) a 30 nautical mile radius from wherever the President is staying.

There is nothing you can do other than going to an area outside the TFR boundary.

THANKS I was afraid of that.I can even fly out in my back yard.
I was puzzled the other day. I was watching some fireworks and
someone was flying and probably got some good video's
I try to start my p4 and it would not let me.I was wondering how
this person did it.It looked like a phantom and how they turn the lights on and off I am pretty sure it was.

THANKS I was afraid of that.I can even fly out in my back yard.
I was puzzled the other day. I was watching some fireworks and
someone was flying and probably got some good video's
I try to start my p4 and it would not let me.I was wondering how
this person did it.It looked like a phantom and how they turn the lights on and off I am pretty sure it was.

There are several "Phantom Clones" out there as well as Autel etc that look a lot like a Phantom.

Also there are hacks (illegal in this case) that would allow such illegal behavior. The thing is, if you were to pull this off and get busted you risk losing your sUAS and being banned from every owning one again. I'd think long and hard about it before even attempting such a feat.

Reactions: Loz and dirkclod
There are several "Phantom Clones" out there as well as Autel etc that look a lot like a Phantom.

Also there are hacks (illegal in this case) that would allow such illegal behavior. The thing is, if you were to pull this off and get busted you risk losing your sUAS and being banned from every owning one again. I'd think long and hard about it before even attempting such a feat.
Question, BigAl07,
As an extension of this, if a person were to fly one of these "Phantom Clones" that doesn't have a "geo" system and thus did not know that there was a TFR and was flying recreationally, what type of "penalty" or infraction would/could being incurred?

Is there something in the 336 legislation that indicates that hobby flyers need to check TFRs?

Reactions: BigAl07
These restrictions apply to all unmanned aircraft system (UAS) operations, including but not limited to:

• Public aircraft operations conducted in accordance with a Certificate of Authorization or Waiver (COA)
  • Civil aircraft operations (other than model aircraft), including those conducted in accordance with a COA or in accordance with the FAA's small UAS rule, Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 107.
  • Model aircraft operations conducted for hobby or recreation in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (P.L. 112-95, Section 336) / 14 CFR part 101, Subpart E.
Frequently Asked Questions

Question, BigAl07,
As an extension of this, if a person were to fly one of these "Phantom Clones" that doesn't have a "geo" system and thus did not know that there was a TFR and was flying recreationally, what type of "penalty" or infraction would/could being incurred?

Is there something in the 336 legislation that indicates that hobby flyers need to check TFRs?

The burden is on the operator to know how to check, where to check, and to check for a TFR. This is a glaring example of why we need Hobby certification/training so that everyone at least is aware of the rules and how to "try" to follow them. If they are not required to learn in order to fly many will not put in the effort.

As long as there is no "incident" the first "Action" would be education and documentation. The FAA is big on education and will go that route initially. If there is a 2nd situation (Again without an incident) then they have documentation that the person has been informed and "knows better". At that point they might issue a harsh letter with some legal mumbo put in for extra leverage.

Now if an INCIDENT takes place all bets are OFF! If the media gets wind of it they'll help to fry the goose of the person responsible regardless of their "status" or level of law knowledge.

The burden is on the operator to know how to check, where to check, and to check for a TFR. This is a glaring example of why we need Hobby certification/training so that everyone at least is aware of the rules and how to "try" to follow them. If they are not required to learn in order to fly many will not put in the effort.

As long as there is no "incident" the first "Action" would be education and documentation. The FAA is big on education and will go that route initially. If there is a 2nd situation (Again without an incident) then they have documentation that the person has been informed and "knows better". At that point they might issue a harsh letter with some legal mumbo put in for extra leverage.

Now if an INCIDENT takes place all bets are OFF! If the media gets wind of it they'll help to fry the goose of the person responsible regardless of their "status" or level of law knowledge.
Thanks, BigAl07!

Well said.

Ignorance of the Law is never a defense/excuse.

I have no Intention In breaking any laws
I was just curious

I live in N.J. The President or some VIP is in town. There is a TFR Restriction for most of N.J. I live about 35 miles from his golf course and couldn't fly all 4th of July weak.
The phantom would not even start.It said Can't fly. I looked in to this and the President
is going to be at his golf course for most or August. Is there anything I can do ? Or I
just can't fly next month.
Yeahhhh I was pretty [Language Remove by Moderator]... This has happened multiple times, whenever he decides to come to Bedminster. Wish he'd just stay in DC or go to Florida lol, so I can fly my drone in the summer! Grr!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many laws in the US that everyone commits a felony at least three times a day unknowingly.
As for drones tfrs should only be for a couple of miles when it comes to drones because they don't have much range to begin with. A 35-mile radius is way too much they should segregate manned aircraft which can fly that distance from drones which cannot.

President Trump recently visited SE Wisconsin for a rally and a celebration of a factory opening. Pilots in the area and adjoining areas received notice by email from the AMA, if I recall correctly. Could have been the FAA itself, I suppose, if the pilot was properly registered.

I found it amusing that there was, in addition to a notice of flying ban for RC aircraft, included a cautionary for line controlled air craft!

Really? Seems rather extreme to me. Can anyone justify a probable rationale for cautioning line controlled pilots to use such “caution” if they didn’t stand down all together?

So it seems that regulations regarding drone use are becoming as Draconian as for gun use. I can't even practice in my own backyard anymore, and I can't go to the range without a background check and a permit. I've owned my guns since 1964 and I've never needed a permit for anything to do with buying ammo or shooting at a range before.
Now it seems when Dear Leader is in state, the whole state is grounded for the duration. That's just wrong.

So it seems that regulations regarding drone use are becoming as Draconian as for gun use. I can't even practice in my own backyard anymore, and I can't go to the range without a background check and a permit. I've owned my guns since 1964 and I've never needed a permit for anything to do with buying ammo or shooting at a range before.
Now it seems when Dear Leader is in state, the whole state is grounded for the duration. That's just wrong.
A president did not make the law, call your represetative!

The Presidential TFR isn't new. It has been around for years. Back when President Bush was in office I had to make a flight in my plane. I planned the flight to be over 30 minutes before the TFR began. I took off, dropped my passengers at their destination, then headed home. Unknown to me, the president arrived ahead of schedule. The air traffic controller turned me away and wouldn't let me continue home. I landed at an airport outside the TFR and waited for it to be over. The airport I fly out of doesn't have a control tower. I was not required to call ATC at all. I asked what would have happened had I not called ATC and flown in? I never got a straight answer. I stated that I don't mind following the rules. Quit changing them in the middle of the game! The same TFR rules apply to drones. Again, this isn't new. I doubt it will ever change.

Please don't bring guns and gun control into the discussion. The thread will get closed as that is off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z