*** Posting About Your 107 Results? POST IT HERE!

Did you find the test easy or hard?

• It was easy for me!

• It had some challenges but I got through it OK.

• I found it difficult.

• I haven't tested yet but plan to.

• I'm don't plan to take the test.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Took my test today. Missed one. Will submit paperwork tomorrow. As long as cert comes before spring planting (late April) for which I intend to use I'm fine with the timely process.

BTW - took the test @ American Flyers, D W Hooks Airport in Spring (North of Houston) Texas. Was a very professional and comfortable experience. If you are looking for a place to take the test - consider these folks.

Reactions: BigAl07
Good job, Mackey!

Passed, but there was a seriously messed up question on mine...

"At the ___ Airport (GGV) in Figure 25, Area 2 (this was a sectional chart), what is the visibility at ground level?"
a) 1 Statute Mile
b) 3 Statute Miles
c) 0 Statute Miles with Low Fog

There was no TAF or METAR to reference, only a Sectional. Even the Proctor said "How could you answer that just from a Sectional?"... that's not a 'trick' question, it's a completely invalid one. But I had to pick an answer, so I picked a) and apparently I got it right because it didn't come up in the ones I missed for review.

Just sharing.
I got a similar one which I’ll mention here in case it is relevant to the question you got. I remember it pretty well because I almost fell for a similar trick. It asked me what minimum visibility must I have to fly near a certain airport. As best I could tell the airport and chart were totally distractors - extraneous info. The answer is 3SM for sUAS maybe a private pilot dealing with VFR rules for differing airspaces would have to consult the chart. But not us. That was my final reasoning. I got it correct.

0F218BE0-2F8F-46CF-A241-4F61B959629F.jpeg 7AF3BCAB-A28B-4F69-81E1-E88ACEF6833C.jpeg 0F218BE0-2F8F-46CF-A241-4F61B959629F.jpeg 7AF3BCAB-A28B-4F69-81E1-E88ACEF6833C.jpeg I just took it and passed with a 95%. I got 3 wrong. I didn’t buy any online courses but read a lot (most) of the material at Rupprecht law. A lot of reading. I didn’t take it lightly.

The more interesting question was one I got right. In reading all the FAA materials I’ve seen the upper limit of sUAS weight as either less than 55 lbs or not more than 55 lbs. (see attached images). During study I remember saying “what happens AT 55 lbs.?” I never ran that ambiguity to ground.

Sure enough I got the questions of what’s max weight of an sUAS. One choice was “less than 55lbs” and another was 55 lbs.

My gut was telling me that “less than 55 was” in the actual reg and that should control. So I picked that. It was correct. The advisory circular does say “not more than 55.” I doubt they are clever enough to try to make you decide which document is definitive. I think they are just sloppy in writing their ACs.

Received my physical license 'card' today.. took the exam around the 20th of Jan., so less than a 2 month backlog. Interesting that it does not list the 2 year expiration.

Last edited:
I went through every part of the class on two separate days. It took me about two hours to complete the class the first day and then about 90 minutes on the second day. Each time I went through the class I wrote the keys down. Immediately after the 2nd go through I took the test and got 90% of the answers correct. I misread one of the questions as I missed the decimal point on the [0.55] and that caused me to miss one of the questions. On another question I read the **** thing about 10 times and just couldn't make sense of the question so I just guessed and got it wrong.

I thought it was pretty easy as most of it is common sense.

I don't have a drone yet and I did the FAA Part 107 class just to learn some of the issues before I started flying. I have also read many of the threads on this board and have learned a lot about some of the issues with flying the dji phantom 4 pro.

I am a photographer with professional equipment, but don't bother to sell my photos. My plan is to start out as a hobbyist and for recreation. I don't see myself as flying a drone for commercial use, however, I am going to work toward the drone pilot certification. I will start that next week. Also, I live in Oklahoma and the legislature has passed a set of state statutes on drone operation in the state. I have read all of that as well.

Yesterday I ordered the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. It should arrive sometime next week. I am going to spend a few days going through the workings of the aircraft. Then take it out to the boonies and spend a week really learning to operate the Phantom before I actually start doing photos and videos.

Anyway that is the way I am approaching being a drone pilot. I'm excited to get started. I think this adds a new dimension to my photography.

Received my physical license 'card' today.. took the exam around the 20th of Jan., so less than a 2 month backlog. Interesting that it does not list the 2 year expiration.

I believe it is the case that it is not an 'expiration' per se; your certificate never expires unless suspended or revoked by the FAA. It is that you have the responsibility to re-qualify every 24 months to keep your license current. This is the same for a private pilot - you must pass a flight review every 24 months to keep your certificate current.

Others correct me if I am wrong.

I took it yesterday and passed with a 92% score in about 45 minutes.

My main study resources were two books: ASA's Test Prep 2018, and the Gleim Remote Pilot FAA Knowledge Test Prep, along with the free online practice tests that come with them.

I wasted $100 on the Drone Start online course which was terrible. I did watch a couple of the free RemotePilot101 YouTube videos and I thought they were very good. If I had to do it again I would probably have invested in that, but I did just fine with the books.

There were a lot of really easy questions and some that were almost impossibly obscure. For example, the only rule I have read anywhere about maximum speed is 100mph, but my test asked me for the maximum speed in Class C airspace. The choices were all in knots. I picked the closets answer in knots to 100mph and it was wrong. I have never seen anything like this anywhere in my prep. There were a couple of others that seemed like trick "I just dare you to answer this" questions and I missed those too.

I recognized a number of questions as identical to those in the practice tests. Overall, the questions that require you to look at the sectional maps in the supplement seemed to be easier than the ones in the study guides.

Took it yesterday. Got 95%. Used FAA Official study guide, Test Prep 2018 study book and Tony Northrup's study guide YouTube video. Didn't spend any money on an online course but if I was in a hurry I probably would have. Spent a few hours a day for two weeks studying. Most of the questions for me were regulations and sectional charts it seemed.

Took it yesterday. Got 95%. Used FAA Official study guide, Test Prep 2018 study book and Tony Northrup's study guide YouTube video. Didn't spend any money on an online course but if I was in a hurry I probably would have. Spent a few hours a day for two weeks studying. Most of the questions for me were regulations and sectional charts it seemed.
Congrat! What is "Test Prep 2018" study book ?

Not sure if I am the first, but I took the 40 question sUAS recurrent test (URG) this morning, passing with a score of 98%. I could have waited until the end of August, but since I have a lot of personal projects going then I decided to do it early when I had time to prepare.
The test i got was if anything more comprehensive than the initial 60 question version.

Last edited:
Not sure if I am the first, but I took the 40 question sUAS recurrent test (URG) this morning with a score of 98%. I could have waited until the end of August, but since I have a lot of personal projects going then I decided to do it early when I had time to prepare.
The test i got was if anything more comprehensive than the initial 60 question version.
Mind if I ask how you studied?

Can you give a little more detail over the material that was comprehensive and how it different from the original questions?

Mind if I ask how you studied?
I used the resources on jrupprechtlaw.com as a starting place. He has a great summary of everything in the "Part 107 Study Guide".
After that, I mostly used FAA provided information, including:
AC 107-2
remote pilot test guide
UAS Airman Certification Standards
Chart Users Guide
Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement (this is the booklet provided in the test both for reference when answering questions)
14 CFR 107.
AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual)

Rupprecht's study guide spells out which sections of the above apply to sUAS ops.

You can just google these items and links will come up for direct download from the FAA or other gov source.

Can you give a little more detail over the material that was comprehensive and how it different from the original questions?
It is against the regs to divulge what is on the test, but I studied sectional charts and airspace in great detail.

I took the 107 this August. It's a 60 question test with three possible answers for each question.

I gave myself a week to study. My primary method of study for multiple choice tests is to take as many practice questions as I can. For the 107, this was particularly helpful because almost all of the questions are minor variations of questions that have been asked on previous tests and/or just common sense.

Another key is that the real test uses the same sectional charts from old tests and asks questions about the same places. So familiarize yourself with where is that rail line from Winnebago to Hinton, etc. You will be able to find it fast while taking the test. The more you use the sectional charts and supplement from practice tests, the faster and easier it will be to refer to the charts on the actual test.

As far as practice questions, the FAA has a practice test online with questions and answers as well as a place to download the .pdf sectional chart map supplement you will be using with the test. Just taking the FAA practice test and looking at the answers gives you a good idea where you stand and what you need to study more.

It seems like at least half of the questions can be answered with basic common sense and logic.

I found a study guide at the ruprecht law site mentioned above that was a great one-page, review guide.

Then I got an app for $5 at the Google play store called "prepware" for drone test. I forget the exact name.

That app has about 200 or so practice questions that it will ask you over and over again. I did it for a couple hours a day for about 5 days on my smartphone and tablet. It also refers to and uses the same sectional charts / weather reports, etc. that were on my test.

I went through each practice question focusing on any that I got wrong until I got none wrong. I was still very nervous for the test.

I got a 95% (3 wrong). The test took me 22 minutes. There were a couple questions that had me staring at the chartmap and were slightly tricky and that I had not seen before. All of the other questions I had already seen versions of on the FAA sample test and on the prepware.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4