*** Posting About Your 107 Results? POST IT HERE!

Did you find the test easy or hard?

• It was easy for me!

• It had some challenges but I got through it OK.

• I found it difficult.

• I haven't tested yet but plan to.

• I'm don't plan to take the test.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Passed with a 92% yesterday afternoon :) Thanks to the FAA and Sarah Nilsson for their study guides and my wife for ambushing me with flash cards at random.

I studied for about 14 hrs over two days, right before the test. I found the test more difficult than I had expected, no thanks to the class instruction that was extremely poor. For whatever reason, I went here (it's free), and studied everything, along with watching the videos. I got an 85%.
Sarah Nilsson - Aviation

It took me a couple of weeks to work through the Sarah Nilsson material. Also got an 85.

Reactions: Falcon900
Passed, but there was a seriously messed up question on mine...

"At the ___ Airport (GGV) in Figure 25, Area 2 (this was a sectional chart), what is the visibility at ground level?"
a) 1 Statute Mile
b) 3 Statute Miles
c) 0 Statute Miles with Low Fog

There was no TAF or METAR to reference, only a Sectional. Even the Proctor said "How could you answer that just from a Sectional?"... that's not a 'trick' question, it's a completely invalid one. But I had to pick an answer, so I picked a) and apparently I got it right because it didn't come up in the ones I missed for review.

Just sharing.

Reactions: skyeboysteve

"At the ___ Airport (GGV) in Figure 25, Area 2 (this was a sectional chart), what is the visibility at ground level?"
a) 1 Statute Mile
b) 3 Statute Miles

There was no TAF or METAR to reference, only a Sectional. Even the Proctor said "How could you answer that just from a Sectional?"... that's not a 'trick' question, it's a completely invalid one. But I had to pick an answer, so I picked a) and apparently I got it right because it didn't come up in the ones I missed for review.

Just sharing.

It's common knowledge that Kwigillingok has snow flurries 24/7 365 that never exceeds 2 miles visibility and well c) can be ruled out as they never get fog--especially the low kind. [/S]. :p

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

a) 1 Statute Mile
b) 3 Statute Miles

Just sharing.

Is that the exact language of the question? Did it refer you to the chart and ask, "What is the minimum surface visibility..."?

Minimum visibility is 3SM for remote regardless the location.

Is that the exact language of the question? Did it refer you to the chart and ask, "What is the minimum surface visibility..."?

Minimum visibility is 3SM for remote regardless the location.

Yes, that was the exact working to the best of my recollection, minus the "(this was a sectional chart)" part that I added to clarify what they were referring to in the question.

Yes, that was the exact working to the best of my recollection, minus the "(this was a sectional chart)" part that I added to clarify what they were referring to in the question.

The reason I asked is that there are some "tricky" questions that are worded as I posted and where the reference to a chart is the misdirect because the minimum visibility is not of course specified on a chart, but is universally applicable.

'I'm don't plan to take the test' (just as well there are no grammar checks in 107), as I'm in Ireland, but I'll be taking the IAA UAV licence test next month, it sounds easier than 107. Will we ever get an internationally accepted test?

I studied by reading online material and then with Dauntless sUAS test prep software. FAA Written Test Preparation - Remote Pilot
They have made practice test software for FAA tests for years.
A helicopter pilot and instructor I know told me to only take the real test when I was getting 90s on the practice test. I got to the point where I was getting 90s on the practice test. I took the 107 test yesterday and got an 85.

You definitely need to know how to read charts and METARs. Know all of the 107 rules. The harder questions are worded in a way that can make you have to really understand the rules to answer correctly.

There were several questions on topics that I hadn't seen before, like the definition of "ceiling". So it's hard to be too prepared, but you can miss 18 of 60 questions and still pass.
I have read that 5000+ people took the 107 test in the first 2 weeks. The pass rate has been 87%, which is about the pass rate for other pilot tests.

I scored 85%. Did the course at remotepilot101.com for $99. I thought the instructional videos were well put together and easy to understand. I did not look at any of the other courses.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: jephoto
I took mine today and scored 93%. I haven't rechecked the ones I missed, but without giving too much away I do know one of them referred to alcohol.

My father was a private pilot (technically still is, although at 73 I don't think he could pass the medical anymore) and I've been an aviation nerd for a long time so I was at the very least passingly familiar with things like NOTAMs and METAR/TAF and charts, which helped a lot. For the more specific parts I used ASA's remote pilot test prep bundle, which was a good resource for me.

Now comes the hardest part - waiting for it to show up in IACRA, and then the TSA check. Tom Petty was right. :(

Passed it today. For all the prep work and study I did, it was not easy. I actually thought I failed. My advice is to not think you're prepared just because you can pass practice exam questions. When you think you're ready, take another week and study. The exam was surprisingly a challenge and one I'm glad I don't have to worry about for two years!

Will we ever get an internationally accepted test?

Well, right now if my private license was current (with a flight review done in the last two years–and it isn't) Ireland would allow me to operate a fix-winged (manned) aircraft.

So... will my remote pilot's certificate allow me to fly commercially in Ireland? I suspect someday it will but I'll betcha a pub-boughten beer that it wouldn't be accepted this week.

SB

Got a 78% thought I was gonna get a 85 or higher, lol. The wording got me pretty mixed up a couple times and just not reading the question properly. Study that supplement thats what you get to test with.

Just spoke to a FSDO in the Seattle area. He told me that only about 10% of those taking the test are passing. Good news for those that did pass. More work for us. LOL Bad news, I am sure those that didn't pass, didn't stop doing commercial work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4