Post your personal best range P3P/Adv

Thanks for the tip. I tried it once and ended up landing on the side of the road; 2000 ft short of home point. Not sure I have the guts to try it again [emoji14]
Always best to have a preplanned safe ditch point, when unfamiliar with the limits and the area. After 250 flights, you develop a feeling for where you need to be at each battery level, based upon the distance from your home point. Add in your own safety margin. It helps to use external batteries, as they add redundancy, and keep the internal battery from crashing suddenly at the very end. With externals, you even have 30 seconds of flight left, after it reaches 0%. Not recommended, unless you know what you are doing. Take it slow and build up. Baby steps, and always come home downwind if you can, and there is more wind higher up, than low to the ground. If into a headwind, stay as low as you can. Good luck!

Got this one about a week ago. 2.9 miles out. Still had a strong signal but I was running out of ground clearance. I was at max altitude but the ground was rising up below me so I had to call it quits and come home.
image.png

Got this one about a week ago. 2.9 miles out. Still had a strong signal but I was running out of ground clearance. I was at max altitude but the ground was rising up below me so I had to call it quits and come home.
View attachment 49218
You do know that the 400 foot Safety Guidance is "Above Ground Level", and nobody cares what DJI displays above your launch point, and certainly not the FAA! You were not at maximum altitude, if the ground below your aircraft was higher than your launch point. DJI often displays that I am flying 800 feet above my launch point, but I am fully in compliance of the 400 foot AGL safety guideline by flying over a hill that is 850 feet ASL!

Reactions: dirtybum
You do know that the 400 foot Safety Guidance is "Above Ground Level", and nobody cares what DJI displays above your launch point, and certainly not the FAA! You were not at maximum altitude, if the ground below your aircraft was higher than your launch point. DJI often displays that I am flying 800 feet above my launch point, but I am fully in compliance of the 400 foot AGL safety guideline by flying over a hill that is 850 feet ASL!

Yes, I am aware of that, but being kinda new at this, I have no idea whether or not you can toggle the Max Altitude switch on or off mid-flight ..... If you can, it never occurred to me do it. I'll certainly try that the next time I'm out to see if it can be done. Or you could just tell me :). Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am aware of that, but being kinda new at this, I have no idea whether or not you can toggle the Max Altitude switch on or off mid-flight ..... If you can, it never occurred to me do it. I'll certainly try that the next time I'm out to see if it can be done. Or you could just tell me :). Thanks for the info.
Yes, sorry for not clarifying that. I was assuming too much. You can change it at any time. Set your maximum altitude to 500m, accept the disclaimer, and then fly responsibly at no more than 400 feet AGL, which means, if you are climbing a hill, you can ascend up to roughly 1600 feet above your launch point, while you slowly increase altitude to accommodate the change in terrain below the aircraft. Using FPV, stay above tree tops and any obstructions along the way, and on the way back, descend accordingly. Also, if you are flying below yourself, the descent limit is 200 meters below your launch point, or roughly 650 feet. Set your RTH altitude accordingly, as well. Mine is set to 250 meters, in case I am on the back side of the 750 foot hill while starting at 250 feet ASL. I want the RTH to allow me to regain signal before it starts coming back, by automatically restoring a lost LOS first. If you ever lose FPV, immediately begin ascending manually until it is restored, as FPV usually drops out before signal loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDinLV
23400 ft distance from home. Fpvlr v2
What altitude above your launch point?
With or without boosters, and if so, which ones?
How was your battery life?

FPVLR v2 will give the best range. I got 17,070 feet away with mine, but had to turn around because of the battery life.

Reactions: driehl
Altitude got higher as it got further away, most was around 120 - 150 ft, highest was 282 ft.

Battery was the fpvcustoms dual batt mod with
2 x 14.8 v 1600 amh strapped to the side.

There was a slight head wind comming home.

Landed with 10% left

Altitude got higher as it got further away, most was around 120 - 150 ft, highest was 282 ft.

Battery was the fpvcustoms dual batt mod with
2 x 14.8 v 1600 amh strapped to the side.

There was a slight head wind comming home.

Landed with 10% left
Sorry, I was thinking this was the P4 thread, where those questions and my limited P4 results were relevant. I have the same P3P setup you do, using two 2800 mAH MaxAmps externals, and am getting 26-29 minutes and 26,000 feet away with 70,000 total feet at 180 feet max! It rocks! :cool:

Sorry, I was thinking this was the P4 thread, where those questions and my limited P4 results were relevant. I have the same P3P setup you do, using two 2800 mAH MaxAmps externals, and am getting 26-29 minutes and 26,000 feet away with 70,000 total feet at 180 feet max! It rocks! :cool:
**** gadget, those Maxamps are heavy, they make smaller ones you know

are you guys running the controller's antennae straight up, straight forward, 45* between up and forward, or another way? angled left and right?

**** gadget, those Maxamps are heavy, they make smaller ones you know
I know they are, but at 247g each, they put out the most power for the additional weight, and I haven't found the extra weight to be an issue, in over 100 flights using them. Old motors deliver 26-27 minutes at full throttle, new motors, 28-29 minutes at full throttle.

Actually went out 14.3 km/47,000ftView attachment 49555 . here is a screenshot from 14km.
OK Fanti, you got our attention!
But you can't go that far out with 60% battery left/20 minutes left without having some goodies strap to the bird/modded to the bird and something amazing going on with the controller so share the details!
Don't leave out none of the good stuff either[emoji41]

OK Fanti, you got our attention!
But you can't go that far out with 60% battery left/20 minutes left without having some goodies strap to the bird/modded to the bird and something amazing going on with the controller so share the details!
Don't leave out none of the good stuff either[emoji41]

If u look at his recorder time, he been recording for 17:35 min. and still got 60% battery and got 21:06 time left to go. I need that mod.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic