Possible rule change for operating over people ?

Reaction score
I regularly check to see if any new major FAA / DOT rules are in the making (started with the proposed doing away with the 3rd class medical) every month by looking at the document that is updated monthly: Report on DOT Significant Rulemakings

This month (Oct 2016) I saw item #18: "Operations of Small Unmanned Aircraft Over People"

"Abstract: This rulemaking would address the performance-based standards and means-of-compliance for operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) over people not directly participating in the operation or not under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft. This rule would provide relief from certain operational restrictions implemented in the Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems final rule (RIN 2120-AJ60)."

Depending on how fast is actually takes to get by OST & OMB we might actually see what they propose for comment by the end of the year. But don't hold your breath as typically scheduled dates slip dramatically.

Drone manufacturers may have to certify certain safety parameters in order to Be eligible to fly over people. Will have to wait-and-see but it certainly 12 to 36 months away before we see a final rule.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

I'm guessing something along the lines of no single point of failure. Redundant batteries, redundant motors, redundant flight controllers? That would be the minimum for maintaining flight- I doubt that you'd need redundant radio links as long as the craft has auto hover/return to home functions.
Conceivably, this would rule out using anything with less than 6 motors. I know there are flight control algorithms that throw away yaw control to maintain pitch/roll when you are down to 3 motors, but they're not in widespread use and i doubt any regulator would trust such a system.

Reactions: Falcon900
Good to see some forward progress though. I didn't know anything was actually in the works. I know a lot of these have been discussed in the Drone Advisory Committee but didn't know that they had actually published anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj