Possible fixed-wing had a drone strike.

Wasn't mine. They are all safe in their cases.

Reactions: Neon Euc
The plane was flying in a grey area wasn't he, being under 500 ft? He was well off his course.

I know a helicopter comes so fast over my ridge, I'd be lucky to get out of his way. With the helicopter, as long I fly over 400 ft. there would be no problem. I can't get his numbers.

The plane was flying in a grey area wasn't he, being under 500 ft? He was well off his course.

I know a helicopter comes so fast over my ridge, I'd be lucky to get out of his way. With the helicopter, as long I fly over 400 ft. there would be no problem. I can't get his numbers.
Did you mean under 400ft (for you)? There will be a problem if there is a collision. We need to give way to manned AC regardless of the circumstances.

Did you mean under 400ft (for you)? There will be a problem if there is a collision. We need to give way to manned AC regardless of the circumstances.
I know the legal stuff. The point I was getting at, how fast does a plane fly? He was flying just above 400ft. It is hard for the drone to get out of the way with a fast flying plane. When planes are flying low there is a greater possibility of hitting something. The drone was off a little on altitude. Planes make errors. Drones make errors. That is why FAA made a 100 ft. between the two. I know planes can fly lower, but there are risk assessments that have to be made.

I know the legal stuff. The point I was getting at, how fast does a plane fly? He was flying just above 400ft. It is hard for the drone to get out of the way with a fast flying plane. When planes are flying low there is a greater possibility of hitting something. The drone was off a little on altitude. Planes make errors. Drones make errors. That is why FAA made a 100 ft. between the two. I know planes can fly lower, but there are risk assessments that have to be made.
You said you are safe if you fly over 400ft? I suspect that may have been a typo.

In circumstances where I suspect my vantage point and the terrain may preclude the opportunity to comfortably be aware of approaching aircraft I either don fly or fly below 150ft and where possible have a spotter on higher ground.

The plane will have the right of way especially if it was involved in fire fighting operations. Be advised that aircraft, especially helicopters can and will fly below 500' and even 400'. Read FAR 91.119

The plane will have the right of way especially if it was involved in fire fighting operations. Be advised that aircraft, especially helicopters can and will fly below 500' and even 400'. Read FAR 91.119

There are no fire fighting operations in Newport Oregon. There is a pretty big NFZ around the Gorge and Troutdale area untill sometime in October.

Newport is a coastal city and we all know how low aircraft fly around the coast.

There are no fire fighting operations in Newport Oregon. There is a pretty big NFZ around the Gorge and Troutdale area untill sometime in October.

Newport is a coastal city and we all know how low aircraft fly around the coast.

And if these aircraft being operated in compliance with FAR 91.119 they still have the right of way.

I'm not one of those "No way it was a drone strike" type but in reading the pilot's comments in other articles he can't say WHEN he hit the object or where he was when he hit it. Way to many unanswered questions for this to be remotely viable IMHO.

I can tell you without a doubt that if my aircraft impacted a UAS at speed I would hear it, probably feel it, and I would not the exact time, altitude, location, weather and every minute detail of the encounter. I've hit small birds that left no marks (other than some blood/residue) on the aircraft and I heard them very clearly.

I'm smelling something fishy in this one and it has nothing to do with his proximity to the water LOL.

Very disappointing.
If it did happen above/near the beach, and was within the city of Newport, then it was likely Class E airspace to the surface...

It has already become tough dealing with local authorities about drones here in Oregon.
Finding good places to fly and capture without having issues is very challenging already, we certainly didn't need this.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Flying 60 feet below normal operating ceiling, into airspace allowed for drones, and you are pissed YOU hit a drone? Ok Dude. Probably was a bird anyway.

There is a long discussion about this on Facebook; Mr. Goldman has since taken down his profile/page.

TL;DR - Mr. Goldman states he does not know when/where he hit any object(s). In other words, he did not see or hear anything. There is damage on both horizontal stabilizers, at least one wing, at least one vertical stabilizer. States he took it to two A&P mechanics who told him it was a drone based on some black plastic residue - which is not seen in any of the photos. Most of the drones pilots in the thread desperately want him to make a formal complaint to the FAA, as they feel his claim will be found to be untenable.

Reactions: flightjunkie
Flying 60 feet below normal operating ceiling, into airspace allowed for drones, and you are pissed YOU hit a drone? Ok Dude. Probably was a bird anyway.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? It's a toy as opposed to manned aircraft. Bottom line is all UAS are required to See & Avoid any manned aircraft PERIOD! There is absolutely ZERO tolerance for that kind of flying period.

I bet in the end the guy actually clipped another plane when he landed and tried to get himself out of the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] by blaming a drone [emoji12]

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet in the end the guy actually clipped another plane when he landed and tried to get himself out of the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] by blaming a drone [emoji12]

Seriously? I won't go into how unlikely this would be, considering the pilot of the other aircraft on the ramp would report this immediately. Bird strike, maybe...

Reactions: BigAl07
Seriously? I won't go into how unlikely this would be, considering the pilot of the other aircraft on the ramp would report this immediately. Bird strike, maybe...
Totally not serious... Just making a little light hearted comment [emoji4]

VLOS means you need to be able to see around you in ALL directions far enough to see low flying manned aircraft and avoid them ... even if they are violating the air space below 400’. Around shorelines (lakes and oceans) it is most critical to anticipate contention for YOUR airspace. Where I live, if a weekend has excellent flying weather ... clear and no wind, it is ususally not a good day for flying a drone due to seaplanes, helicopters, and ultralights.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT