Possible answer to why some have cracked shells

I balance my props and I installed the UAV Bits motor reinforcements. I have very few flights bit as soon as I log a bunch more I will remove the reinforcements and check. Will let you know.

Update 8/10/2016
Now have logged lots of flights and no cracks. I make sure to check for crackers every one in a while and visually check for loose screws. So far, so good.

Last edited:
I balance every single prop. I still developed cracks after 1,000,000 ft and 164 flights.

Only speculation, but is it possible they're from flexing the arms too much when putting the Phantom in a case or backpack?

How many of you, with cracks in the shell, have balanced your props?

Do any of you, who have balanced your props, have cracks?
This may not be true of everyone but I have one of the best prop balancers you can get for the Phantoms and even three different rods from different sources and checked the balance on 6 sets of props (12 total) and not one of them was off balanced. I was amazed because with the P2 I have about one third to half of them needed balancing. Maybe I was just lucky and they all came of the same production run -OR- maybe they are all pretty close if not perfect.

Man, are the cracks inevitable or are there some people who have had no problems? This just gives me anxiety!
I know what your talking about, I have 67 flight on my advanced and I have no cracks to date, but the anxiety eats a guy up. I check pretty much every flight expecting the worst! Knock on wood! I also have flown in some pretty cold days.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why don't dji sell balanced props? It's looking worse, havnt bought my phantom yet, now I read metal screw in props arnt as good as plastic, thought dji would remove all this guess work to be honest, 1k isn't a low number.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

85 flights almost 900.000 feet flown.almost all in bad windy weather and still no cracks.have never balanced any props either.
I think it's how smooth u fly tbh plus I've never landed my drone .I always hand catch.
Never do fast 180 turns and quick movements and you won't get cracks imo

P3P (323A)
110 flights, 1,429,164ft (270 miles) 18 hours in the air.

No cracks, no fly always, no unexplained behavior. These are amazing machines, I hate to think there's this systemic issue.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

133 flights, 1,473,273ft and over 22hrs, no cracks to date. Bought it back in Mary 2016 when the P3 was first released.

Reactions: Daniel Voyer
85 flights almost 900.000 feet flown.almost all in bad windy weather and still no cracks.have never balanced any props either.
I think it's how smooth u fly tbh plus I've never landed my drone .I always hand catch.
Never do fast 180 turns and quick movements and you won't get cracks imo
True. If you don't stress your motors by sudden accelerations and brakes, chances of getting stress cracks get reduced.

Reactions: Wang J Coon
Maybe it's the intermitent rpms and forces caused by errattic flight that take a toll eventually on the frame/supporting structure.

Maybe it's flaws in the plastic molding or compound.

Or a combination of both.

I think they crack because the are cheaply made. Even the controls are cracking or the buttons fall in.
They should be able to perform their intended purpose without falling apart.

Just under 10 hours flight time 49 flights 583,578ft traveled. Never landed, no bumps or crashes, props all balanced. The Phantom is at the shop for repair getting its 3rd shell due to cracks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl