Poor range even after upgrading antenna

Reaction score
So I recently installed the ARGtec antennas on my phantom. I have the directional antennas for the video and the omnidirectional for the ac. On good days I have a hard time reaching past 4000 feet. I know that is good range but I was hoping for more and that's losing video around the same time as control. I seen videos of the same drone going much further and I have read of people getting miles out of them. I also have had twice where i was flying well within range and would suddenly get a disconnected message on the app and loss of video but the drone was still flying fine.

Hi. I was wondering about the ArgTek mod myself. I use a simple windsurfer parabolic ($4) range extender, coupled with Magic Power 5 (free) mod. Two days ago, I tried to send it out as far as I could in a "relatively" remote area. Power lines close by, but away from residential WIFI interference. I got to 5,761 feet with good FPV and control went all of a sudden it lost connection and immediately initiated a RTH. It came back just fine.

Before these two simple mods, I could never go more than about 1800 feet with stock setup.

I was really hoping you would go much farther than 4,000 feet with the ArgTek setup.

Hi. I was wondering about the ArgTek mod myself. I use a simple windsurfer parabolic ($4) range extender, coupled with Magic Power 5 (free) mod. Two days ago, I tried to send it out as far as I could in a "relatively" remote area. Power lines close by, but away from residential WIFI interference. I got to 5,761 feet with good FPV and control went all of a sudden it lost connection and immediately initiated a RTH. It came back just fine.

Before these two simple mods, I could never go more than about 1800 feet with stock setup.

I was really hoping you would go much farther than 4,000 feet with the ArgTek setup.
Me too. I feel like I need to more testing though. I'm waiting on a replacement set of blades in the mail and I will keep this updated.

Bobert-

Cool- will be good to know how you end up. You know, sometimes we need to be reminded that it's a Phantom 3 Standard we're talking about here... It's a very nice drone, but it's early 2015 technology. I love mine, but I realize there's only so much we can all pump out of it.

I own a Mavic Air and, technologically, it's far superior...but I still love my P3S.

I'm watching this thread :rolleyes:..as Some day im going to do a Antenna UP grade and i want a nice set of antennas on the RC unit ;) !

I have a P3S and stock antennas. I've found that using a parabolic reflector on the control antenna blocks part of the WiFi (image and data) receiving antennas.

I can easily do over 5,000 ft and close to 7,000 ft, all legally during twilight using anti-collision and position lights to maintain VLOS.

When I first received my P3S its range was much less. So I sent it back to repair and got back a different one.

I have a P3S and stock antennas. I've found that using a parabolic reflector on the control antenna blocks part of the WiFi (image and data) receiving antennas.

I can easily do over 5,000 ft and close to 7,000 ft, all legally during twilight using anti-collision and position lights to maintain VLOS.

When I first received my P3S its range was much less. So I sent it back to repair and got back a different one.
I flew today and got 4700 ft this time. What do you mean by using anti collision?

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Anti-collision lights. High intensity flashing LED's that are visible for at least 3 miles in all directions.
Ok, I thought you ment you had an anti-Collison program or something. I never had a factory antenna so I had to buy aftermarket and I'm starting to regret that. At what point do you lose video?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31