POLICE WORK

I am in Law Enforcement and am currently flying for my department in Florida. Unfortunately, as you stated, the city attorney is in and out of our policy and procedures all the time. Not worried nearly about crashing the drone, that's small potatoes... but where and who it could crash into is their primary concern. Its great if they allow you to fly for them on your time, as long as you are not "compensated". Unfortunately, they look at it as we don't sell the photos or videos, but as the attorney stated, I am on the clock while flying, so there is my "compensation while flying".. So, I went and got the Part 107 license to fly and had to fill out the lengthy COA request. Had several other agencies (outside Florida) send me theirs so we had an idea on how in depth it actually is requesting nighttime operation, flying over people, within 5 miles of airport, requesting to fly farther than VLOS, etc.... Sounds a lot easier if you, as a civilian, can do it, without compensation.. but our agency wanted it done internally should we have an active shooter, or dangerous situation where it would be necessary to have an LEO within the Crime Scene. Especially for courtroom testimony..

Southern Style - would you be willing to share your COA documentation? I am working for my local OEM agency which is the civilian arm of our local PD dept, and our 107 COA was denied by the FAA as not having enough info on our waiver request to overfly people. We are not going for night flights yet due to budget constraints on the FLIR camera costs. Leadership wants to see an operational proof of concept before they commit more $'s to our efforts. Please let me know. Thanks!

MikeHartman drop me a PM and I can get you in touch with someone who can provide you with real-world proof of concept you can show them in regards to FLIR on UAS for Public Safety sake.

And welcome to the FORUM :)

MikeH.. will certainly be able to assist in any way.. let me get back to work and get things pulled up.. will be in touch.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can one of you send me the request I am a law enforcement officer out of New Mexico. I recently retired and went to another department that I could receive my pension and work witch is not allowed with most. I also recently brought a phantom 4 pro plus. For a hobby but being on the business for over 25 years already realized the real world applications for my drone. I have flown it at the university not for work but play and to show the guys and girls. It would work extremely well on campus do you have any sop language for it and also send me the cov request. I think drones can change the face of law enforcement if done right

I am a newly certified pilot for a municipality. The police department here has requested to use me at their convenience. I am just curious if anyone out there is doing anything similar and how they have gone about their operations, as far as what all they have done, bypassing restrictions and whatever else interesting or educational advice that can be given.

Thanks for any help or advice!

coincidentally , My agency ( I work for the Sheriff's office ) has recently asked us (the officers) for assistance in this area.. And as of today got the ball rolling on scheduling classes..

First responders train in use of drones

Reactions: Southern Style
Beakeru2, I will follow on your agencies website in hopes of getting a date for that class... Or if you run across any information as to when and where it would be held again, or maybe a flyer or advertisement, I would greatly appreciate it. Am planning on going to Indiana for the LEO Scenario based class in a few months, but this one Is in state, so I would definitely get approved for that one as well.

MikeHartman drop me a PM and I can get you in touch with someone who can provide you with real-world proof of concept you can show them in regards to FLIR on UAS for Public Safety sake.

And welcome to the FORUM :)

Hi Big Al, as you note I am new to this site. Can't seem to figure out how to PM you on this site - is that a "conversation"? Or something else? Thanks!

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi Big Al, as you note I am new to this site. Can't seem to figure out how to PM you on this site - is that a "conversation"? Or something else? Thanks!
Yes "Conversation". I'll initiate it so you just have to click on it and reply :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72