Polar Pro "vivid" series filters - gimbal clamp does not fit - ARGH!

Reaction score
I received my Polar Pro vivid series filters. These are the ones that have the polarizer and neutral density filter combined. ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL

To my (pleasant) surprise I found that the outer ring rotates so you can adjust the polarization depending on the sun angle and the result you want...

To my UNPLEASANT surprise I found that the stock gimbal cover/clamp will not work while the filter is in place. My main irritation is that Polar Pro should tell you that before hand.

I can usually run an ND4 pretty much in place of my clear stock one and planned to leave it on most of the time and now I will have to remove it every single time... of course I'm sure Polar pro will have a new gimbal clamp available for purchase soon at a premium price?...

Arghhhhh

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
I received my Polar Pro vivid series filters. These are the ones that have the polarizer and neutral density filter combined. ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL

To my (pleasant) surprise I found that the outer ring rotates so you can adjust the polarization depending on the sun angle and the result you want...

To my UNPLEASANT surprise I found that the stock gimbal cover/clamp will not work while the filter is in place. My main irritation is that Polar Pro should tell you that before hand.

I can usually run an ND4 pretty much in place of my clear stock one and planned to leave it on most of the time and now I will have to remove it every single time... of course I'm sure Polar pro will have a new gimbal clamp available for purchase soon at a premium price?...

Arghhhhh
On a side note, I was wondering about those circular polarizers. When turning I can never tell where the polarization is taking place..is there a trick for this?

Reactions: setandforget

Arghhhhh

Not to sound like a jerk but did you contact Polar Pro via support/email/phone and ask before you purchased?

I contacted them and asked several questions before I decided to order the set I did so the stock P4P+ gimbal would fit.
I assumed that a PL/ND combo filter would by design have to be thicker than just the ND filter only but that is why I contacted them first before deciding on what set to purchase first.
I'm sure later they will have a custom gimbal guard that will be available that will work with the thicker PL/ND combo filters. Maybe they will offer you a free one in the future if you paid full price for the filters you purchased.

I can't say anything but good things about Polar Pro as they had a 10% off coupon for signing up for their email list and I contacted them after I purchased (pre ordered) the filter set and they applied it to my order and refunded the 10% even though I'd not used the promo code at the time of order. My mistake but they promptly refunded me.
Everything is so new with this new camera and quad that I'm sure lots of accessories will be available later down the road.
At least the P4 standard batteries will fit and work fine. -after FW update.

On a side note, I was wondering about those circular polarizers. When turning I can never tell where the polarization is taking place..is there a trick for this?

It just depends on what type of landscape, sky, angle of the sun, over water, etc... you are taking video or still pics of.
On my old 35mm camera and digital SLR I just turn it at the moment before the shot to get the best anti-glare or a rich saturated look as the CPL filter does decrease the light level coming into the camera.
The have the most use when you are shooting over or around water, glass, or where high brightness, snow scenes, etc..
Kind of hard to judge how to exactly adjust it to get the best shots from a moving drone but you can just try to get the best color and saturation to your liking before you take off. Or adjusting the filter then trying different positions of the quad take a few pics/video then readjusting again and fly in the same area again.

Reactions: ryantrax
Not to sound like a jerk but did you contact Polar Pro via support/email/phone and ask before you purchased?

I did send them a not saying they should mention this on their website.... I know it's not the end of the world and there will be a gimbal lock available for it soon.... but they have been through this whole issue before and should know better...

I plan to just look at my monitor before I lift off and rotate it accordingly. Usually there is a mark on the filter that is supposed to be pointed toward the sun for maximum effect. If it does not already correspond to some of the printing on the outer ring I will just put a small dot on it with a silver sharpie.

I'm sure later they will have a custom gimbal guard that will be available that will work with the thicker PL/ND combo filters. Maybe they will offer you a free one in the future if you paid full price for the filters you purchased.

I can't say anything but good things about Polar Pro as they had a 10% off coupon for signing up for their email list and I contacted them after I purchased (pre ordered) the filter set and they applied it to my order and refunded the 10% even though I'd not used the promo code at the time of order. My mistake but they promptly refunded me.

I reached out to them regarding both points as well. They said they did not have plans to make a gimbal guard for the P4P at this time unless demand warranted it. I ALSO misplaced my previous 10% off code, and upon receiving a 10% off coupon after submitting my order -- contacted PolarPro and they very generously refunded the 10% to me. Outstanding customer service!

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
For a polarisation filter to work best the sun should be coming from the side not straight ahead or from behind. You should set the bird down the way you want to fly and film then viewing the screen turn the filter to get the desired effect. One thing to note is as soon as you turn the bird 180 degrees to return the filter wont be doing its job.

To my UNPLEASANT surprise I found that the stock gimbal cover/clamp will not work while the filter is in place.

Here's a hack that should allow the use of the DJI gimbal lock with the PolarPro filters for the P4P. Perhaps this will work until PolarPro decides to offer a lens cover/lock for the P4P. You can skip to 3:14 to cut to the chase.

For a polarisation filter to work best the sun should be coming from the side not straight ahead or from behind. You should set the bird down the way you want to fly and film then viewing the screen turn the filter to get the desired effect. One thing to note is as soon as you turn the bird 180 degrees to return the filter wont be doing its job.

Yes.... I did hesitate about getting a polarized set vs standard ND filters... you can get it adjusted for one direction, but then it does not work going the opposite direction... Just have to think out the shoot a bit more I suppose.I guess someday there will have a servo activated rotatable polarizer and add another thumbwheel on the contoller??! ;-)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl