Polar Pro ND filters VS Polar Pro polarized ND filters

Reaction score
I use my P4P mainly to shoot video. I recently purchased polarpro's Artisan Collection which comes with ND32/PL, ND64/PL and ND128/PL. I was reading somewhere on the internet about rotating the filter to get the best results and i don;'t know what that means ecaxtly. Question i am asking did i waste my money purchasing polarized filters when i should have purchased standard features? Can i use polarized filters to shoot video or are polarized filters made for photos only?

No, good purchase -- I have the same set.

You'll notice that the polarized filters have an additional bearing and ring that rotates around the bayonet that screws on to the camera. This is what you turn to adjust the polarizing angle.

Best way to adjust this is to look at the live video on your screen and turn it until you get the best results. That is subjective, of course, but usually this amounts to the most saturated colors with high dynamic range in the shadows and highlights. I'll try and shoot something tomorrow while adjusting the polarizer and post here to give an example.

Generally, a clear sky is a good benchmark. Adjust to get the deepest blue. Rotate the filter 90° and you'll see the sky washed out.

Other applications include reducing glare from reflections on water, magically seeing through into the water while overhead, etc. Google is your friend.

Don't use a polarizing filter if you don't know how to adjust it. Have it off 90° and it'll destroy your footage. Have it set right, and it makes a big difference IMO on bright, sunny days.

So you use it for shooting videos as well? What if i am shooting a wedding and i have to fly around in circles? Therefore the source of light will be changing and i cannot be 90 degrees to the sun at all times.

Sorry for the confusion... The 90° was referring to rotating the filter -- not camera orientation relative to the sun.

While the geometry of the sun, subject, and camera is relevant to light polarization, generally the sun elevation angle -- time of day -- has the greatest impact. So once you've adjusted the polarizer angle, everything looks about the same in all directions (except with the sun in frame, of course).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj