Plug-n-plag strobe for P3P/A

Well, Al, I went ahead ordered a couple of these from the UK.
STROBON v2 Navigation Light (WHITE) - Flytron
For starters, I'm going to try to rig it up with some kind of switch and a battery like this, as they are really small and light, and I have a bunch of them sitting around the house. Should be a pretty small assembly once done, and then I can try some different mounting points on the P3 with a combination of double sticky tape, zip ties, velcro and chewing gum.

We'll see...
(see what I did there?)

I have 2 of them (Red) on my drone. Ran the wires inside white shrink tubing to a 3 AAA battery pack & switch. Works very well and very visible.

Reactions: BigAl07
If anyone can compile a parts lost that would be great. I know nothing about electronics and wiring so it would be very helpful.

I don't really do any night flying, my intention is to make it easier to find during day when I lose sight of it. If that works, night will be no problem. Maybe I'll give it a try, we'll see...

It looks like your parts would be functionally very similar to the Strobon v2 Navigation Light assembly. It sure looks like the same bulb in the pictures, but I don't think there is enough info in the spec sheet to necessarily back out the bulb wattage on the v2 assembly. Maybe someone else can figure it out. Or I guess we could ask Flytron... :) If you intend to do a permanent installation into the Phantom, I can see wanting to use the individual parts. That should be pretty slick. I have multiple Phantoms (and some other things) and I would like something that i can universally stick on to whatever I like.
25 years ago, I bought a used 1978 Ford Van ambulance conversion from a small Volunteer Fire Department in the Colorado Rockies (long story). I didn't get 2 miles after buying it before a cop pulled me over to explain that it was illegal to have forward facing red/blue gels in a non-emergency vehicle. Mind you, I didn't have the flashing lights or siren on (at least not at that time :) ), but the cop was very touchy about it. Just makes me wonder what law enforcement might think if one of those flew up on them. :)

Yeah, a switched headlight (that's worth having) is a whole other bucket of problems to solve.

Although not illegal for drones, I would only use the blue/red strobe in my yard when my young nephew is over. I can only imagine the sensationalized headlines anti-drone writers would come up with if they saw me flying around town with police colored strobes.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl