Please read. Threatened while flying my drone!

Mongo, you have every right to stand there and fly whenever you want to. If you like that spot, keep at it. That idiot cop will just have to deal with his own demons.
Things are changing rapidly and 2 years makes a lot of difference on how law enforcement think. I believe ignorance and fear was the officers response, in the name of national security.

In my opinion there is something more going on than just he doesn't like drones. Is it possible he felt he was treated unfairly with respect some work he did in your home. I don't imagine this is the first time you've flown the drone in your neighborhood or the first time he has noticed it. I can see a stranger over reacting like this but someone you've had a prior relationship with and has been in your home, this reaction sounds like more than just an issue with the drone.
Nothing more sir. He verbally assaulted and threated me. I don't even know this guy. He repaired a door seal for me. We weren't even home when he repaired this seal. My friend let him in as we were away at the time. This was the first time I've ever seen him other than working around his home. He's a younger guy. You'd think he would be more understanding. I fly every day between the hours of 11:00AM and 5 PM. The neighbors are at work during that time and shouldn't bother anyone.

That’s just crazy, I’d keep doing what you’re doing, stay with in the laws and not let this kook ruin your flying fun. Just keep the sheriff number on speed dial. Be safe and fly on.

Reactions: Gregg Kielma
One relevant comment, and one experience.

Usually when people are concerned about drones it is because they fear something. Perhaps in this case the daughter feared something, and the neighbor was protecting the interests of his daughter. Typical fears are around privacy (including snooping), having physical harm from a drone out of control, the irritation of noise (compared to what, a lawn mower or chainsaw?). So if not in this case, you might want to find a way to address any concerns.

While engaging law enforcement when there is an extreme response may be prudent, I had a different experience with law enforcement. I was doing a practice run for taking pictures, and standing on the pedestrian portion of a bridge. It was a weekday morning, and there were not people around. While the aircraft was near the end of my practice run, a sheriff deputy stopped his patrol car and came out of it shouting at me. He came up very close to me (less than 6 inches) and shouted at me that I should look at him when he was talking with me. I told him I was unable, but if he would standby, I could talk with him and answer any questions after I recovered the aircraft. This wasn't good enough for him, and I was unable to figure out why he was so agitated. His shouting continued, and he ordered me to look at him, which I did momentarily. Now I was getting aggravated. Again I told him give me just a couple of minutes and the aircraft will land. At that point he put his hands on my left arm. I wanted to continue to fly the aircraft, but I also didn't want to be considered as resisting arrest. I asked him if he was arresting me, and what the charge was. He said he wanted me to stop flying and look at him. I said I could not and that if he continued without good cause he was violating 14 CFR 91, by interfering with crew of an aircraft. He let go, walked 50 feet away and made a cellphone call.

I landed the aircraft, and shut down my equipment, and walked over to him as he was finishing his phone call. His tone was a little different, and he started in on my being disrespectful. I tried to explain that I needed to pay attention to what I was doing, and if it wasn't an emergency, and he could wait two minutes, the flight would have been over. We parted after he told me that he didn't want to see me there again, and if he did there would be consequences.

When he left, I started charging the batteries, and made a call to the zone station and talked with the commanding officer on duty. Turns out that he was somewhat familiar with drone operation, and he later revealed that he was studying for a 107 certificate. He was familiar with the deputy who talked with me, and said that he would be addressing this "internally" which almost sounded official.

I have avoided that location, and in the two years since then have not had any such similar encounter. I have been unable to determine the deputy's concern.
I understand I read your post months ago. Never thought it would happen to us here. I fly high and away from his home. It kind of hurts not being able to fly within my rights. I fly responsibly and within the rules of 107. Thank yo for your thoughts.

Folks will have differences of opinion about pressing on or trying to pacify this neighbor. For me, since LE has been involved, I'd keep flying within the rules and then your neighbor will have to decide what his next step is going to be. I'm all for trying to avoid issue and defuse a situation...within reason. If you're flying as you say you are (taking off and immediately getting to an altitude where noise shouldn't be an issue) it could be the particular circumstance (flying relatively low for a prolonged period in one area while you took these particular photograph) was the issue and your normal flying would be an issue in the future.

Folks will have differences of opinion about pressing on or trying to pacify this neighbor. For me, since LE has been involved, I'd keep flying within the rules and then your neighbor will have to decide what his next step is going to be. I'm all for trying to avoid issue and defuse a situation...within reason. If you're flying as you say you are (taking off and immediately getting to an altitude where noise shouldn't be an issue) it could be the particular circumstance (flying relatively low for a prolonged period in one area while you took these particular photograph) was the issue and your normal flying would be an issue in the future.
I just fly it within eyesight, no more no less. I fly at or above 150ft. The video is on sometimes, not always. Glad I called LE. The guy just went nuts, I didn't fly over his home directly or for any extended period of time. Thank you for asking, this was ab bad situation.

It happens, flying low at my sister's property looking for a lost drone apparently i was abit too low and too near his barn. He called to complain the drone noise is startling his horses. Fair enough, even tho i was no where near the property line I just avoid that section to keep the peace.

I'm respectful of the times I fly. I fly during the day.11:00 am-5:00 pm. The Sheffif's office here use p-4 for search and rescue. the gentlemen knew exactly what to ask me and verified it. He went straight to my flight records and saw that I was flying in LOS and was at the correct altitude for 12 minutes. This guy was very violent so I felt the need to call the police. I needed a record of this incident incase something happens to myself or property.
Lets assume you are 100% within regulations with respect to the FAA requirements. Doesn't preclude an allegation that you are breaching privacy or making a nuisance of yourself generally.

The word removed from my post means wasting time where I come from. Certainly not a profanity around here however understand it might have a different interpretation where you are. No offence intended.

You don't need the police. You need to appreciate that its bad policy to upset your neighbours without good reason regardless of what you think your entitlements are. If the person was considered a genuine threat the matter would have been handled differently.

I just fly it within eyesight, no more no less. I fly at or above 150ft. The video is on sometimes, not always. Glad I called LE. The guy just went nuts, I didn't fly over his home directly or for any extended period of time. Thank you for asking, this was ab bad situation.
Ok, I'll tell what I'm going to do. I'll coming to Fl. tomorrow. We'll fly together. If your neighbor causes any trouble, I'll make him a deal he can't turn down. Guaranteed, he'd be stupid to mess with me. Ok? I'll be there tomorrow anyway. We will show him.

Just joking. We have to be in Panama City . Family emergency.

I've had a neighbor who has done work at my home just yesterday get very angry and threaten me. He was screaming at me f you, i'll shoot that thing down.... and on and on he went. He never came on my property, just carried on from his home, very vulgarly, which is two home from mine, about 1 acre away.

I called law enforcement, told him what just happened. I invited him (sheriff) in to look at my flight logs which clearly indicate I was at 150 feet and flying in LOS the whole time, and not above his home constantly as he thought.

He (sheriff) went to the gentlemen's home and told him I was in complete compliance with part 107 and was doing nothing nefarious or wrong. The neighbor informed him it was "scaring" his daughter and that he would take necessary actions against me if it continued. The officer told him to bring his daughter over to my home and check out the drone and would not in anyway hurt her. He also suggested my neighbor brush up on the rules of drone flying before making allegations against me. I'm trusting he wont hurt us now the law enforcement is aware.

First and foremost I fly by the 107 rules. I don't fly early in the morning or during supper time. I don't fly on Sunday so neighbors don't have to see or hear the machine. I usually fly above 300 ft to eliminate noise and sound. I try to be a good neighbor. I've never had a cross word with him until a few days ago.

This has really impacted and bothered me and wife. I'm concerned if I go to speak to him he will want to get into a physical confrontation. I'm not about that. I just want to know how I can fly and not bother him or anyone else (never has any issues with anyone else) in my neighborhood and enjoy the sport that I love.

Any advice?
find a different place to fly 1acre is not much as you know spce for a drone to fly they do have faily long ranges for what they are...start looking for others that get together on the weekends that have the same flying interests as your own and start a club

Ratter than wasting law enforcement time and resources [Language Removed by Moderator] around looking a your flight records you should have just spoken to the neighbour directly. If it’s really that much of an issue fly somewhere else. All you have managed to do is annoy him more.

The guy threatened to shoot his drone down which would be breaking federal law. You had no choice but, to call the authorities. Yes I agree you don't fuel threats like that fly somewhere else. At least the neighbor knows shooting the drone down is not an option.

One relevant comment, and one experience.

Usually when people are concerned about drones it is because they fear something. Perhaps in this case the daughter feared something, and the neighbor was protecting the interests of his daughter. Typical fears are around privacy (including snooping), having physical harm from a drone out of control, the irritation of noise (compared to what, a lawn mower or chainsaw?). So if not in this case, you might want to find a way to address any concerns.

While engaging law enforcement when there is an extreme response may be prudent, I had a different experience with law enforcement. I was doing a practice run for taking pictures, and standing on the pedestrian portion of a bridge. It was a weekday morning, and there were not people around. While the aircraft was near the end of my practice run, a sheriff deputy stopped his patrol car and came out of it shouting at me. He came up very close to me (less than 6 inches) and shouted at me that I should look at him when he was talking with me. I told him I was unable, but if he would standby, I could talk with him and answer any questions after I recovered the aircraft. This wasn't good enough for him, and I was unable to figure out why he was so agitated. His shouting continued, and he ordered me to look at him, which I did momentarily. Now I was getting aggravated. Again I told him give me just a couple of minutes and the aircraft will land. At that point he put his hands on my left arm. I wanted to continue to fly the aircraft, but I also didn't want to be considered as resisting arrest. I asked him if he was arresting me, and what the charge was. He said he wanted me to stop flying and look at him. I said I could not and that if he continued without good cause he was violating 14 CFR 91, by interfering with crew of an aircraft. He let go, walked 50 feet away and made a cellphone call.

I landed the aircraft, and shut down my equipment, and walked over to him as he was finishing his phone call. His tone was a little different, and he started in on my being disrespectful. I tried to explain that I needed to pay attention to what I was doing, and if it wasn't an emergency, and he could wait two minutes, the flight would have been over. We parted after he told me that he didn't want to see me there again, and if he did there would be consequences.

When he left, I started charging the batteries, and made a call to the zone station and talked with the commanding officer on duty. Turns out that he was somewhat familiar with drone operation, and he later revealed that he was studying for a 107 certificate. He was familiar with the deputy who talked with me, and said that he would be addressing this "internally" which almost sounded official.

I have avoided that location, and in the two years since then have not had any such similar encounter. I have been unable to determine the deputy's concern.
Unfortunately, one runs into an applehole cop (i'm retired chief) once in a while. If one feels strongly enough about behavior of police, file a written complaint. You handled it correctly; never challenge a cop on the street, it tends to go downhill fast. A written complaint has to be investigated; I am going to go way out on a limb and guess that wasn't the first time he acted that way. Repeated complaints help build a dossier on a bad cop, thus helps the discipline process.

Unfortunately, one runs into an applehole cop (i'm retired chief) once in a while. If one feels strongly enough about behavior of police, file a written complaint. You handled it correctly; never challenge a cop on the street, it tends to go downhill fast. A written complaint has to be investigated; I am going to go way out on a limb and guess that wasn't the first time he acted that way. Repeated complaints help build a dossier on a bad cop, thus helps the discipline process.

Actually, Luis, the Lieutenant I spoke with knew whom I was calling about before I was 10 seconds into the conversation. He did indicate that there was a history that he would have to deal with. Based upon his response, I did not file a written complaint. If the situation had escalated, I most likely would have. However, I have not had anything like that happen since.

Actually, the only time I have had anyone question my flying is when I was flying over a larger lake, which serves as a reservoir. Some kayakers (such a word?) asked about the camera capability, and could I see faces in boats. I told them no, not at the altitude I was flying at, etc. and they were satisfied.

The guy threatened to shoot his drone down which would be breaking federal law. You had no choice but, to call the authorities. Yes I agree you don't fuel threats like that fly somewhere else. At least the neighbor knows shooting the drone down is not an option.
He had a choice. People make idle threats all the time. We are probably only getting one side of the story here also. As is usually the case.

lol sure sir. I did the right thing...I did nothing wrong. I don't even know this guy.
I’m saying you had a choice in whether you needed to involve the police. All you have done now is created a bad relationship with this neighbour. There is a big differences between doing “nothing wrong” as you put it- that is technically obeying the law and doing what is reasonable. If he has a strong objection (as it seems he does) to you flying over or close to his property then stay away. That shouldn’t be difficult.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Ok, I'll tell what I'm going to do. I'll coming to Fl. tomorrow. We'll fly together. If your neighbor causes any trouble, I'll make him a deal he can't turn down. Guaranteed, he'd be stupid to mess with me. Ok? I'll be there tomorrow anyway. We will show him.

Just joking. We have to be in Panama City . Family emergency.
lol thank you to funny!

Reactions: Shoemaker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.