PLEASE READ: "Home Point Bug" may cause RTH issues

I just reluctant to try that version since it's not listed in the official release notes and my P3S is new as of dec. 5th , worried about it being too old for my hardware, downloaded 3.1.0 by mistake and couldn't control the gimbal , 3.0.1 and 1.8.1 worked great this morning , didn't try for distance due to high winds !
I would not be concerned, many P3S owner use all different versions and they all work on all the Phantoms. One might have a feature another doesn't, or slightly difference UI. I used 2.9.1 in the past, work well and it was auto updated to that via Google Play Store, so it's official.

BUT .... my advice to everyone using android ... GET RID OF Go 3.1.2 ..... BEFORE it causes loss of your model.

If you want clean stable Go and best video streaming with minimum lag - Go 2.9.1 .....

I have tested all versions from 2.9.1 up and incl. 3.1.2 on my Nexus 7 vers 2 16gb tablet and I can say without reservation .... 2.9.1 is the best.

Nigel

Ok so,
I have not had the RTH problem or the home point being off with 3.1.2 but I have experienced the lag and also weird bit mapping lines appearing here and there. I tried doing the roll back to 2.9.1 but now i have no google maps in app. has anyone else run into this and any suggestions? but video is better.

Thanks
Tom

I've seen the same. Disconnect from the phantom Wi-Fi and reconnect to your home Wi-Fi. When you go back into the app you will have maps. Scroll around to get android to cache your maps. Reconnect to the phantom Wi-Fi and, Bob's your uncle!

Reactions: tman1972
I've seen the same. Disconnect from the phantom Wi-Fi and reconnect to your home Wi-Fi. When you go back into the app you will have maps. Scroll around to get android to cache your maps. Reconnect to the phantom Wi-Fi and, Bob's your uncle!

Scroll around? Im sorry i am new to all this.....

Ok i got the disconnect and connecting to my home wifi, and I got maps, i didnt understand the scrolling around to have android to cache my maps, is that in Go app or android settings?

And how did you know Bob is my uncle?

Scroll around? Im sorry i am new to all this.....
Sorry, just slide the maps around with your finger to get more map area to load. All this gets cached and you will be able to continue to use the maps when offline (i.e. when connected to Phantom Wi-Fi.

Sorry, just slide the maps around with your finger to get more map area to load. All this gets cached and you will be able to continue to use the maps when offline (i.e. when connected to Phantom Wi-Fi.
Thanks a lot Phantom Phrank, and i was just joking about Bob my uncle, i know the saying ;-)

I experienced the same, the copter started flying to an unknown location with RTH, I immediately brought it back and did a compass calibration which solved the issue. I also noticed the cut in video feed and the weird display issues; colours of and lines popping up. I tried the location test u suggested and yep, my homepoint was way off, I uninstalled 3.1.2 and installed 3.1.1, homepoint was spot on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
A guy on the DJI forum found a great video clip that shows this issue happening in real time, and a nice analysis.
Here's that thread and also the YouTube clip.
Example 3.1.2 App Homepoint Problem

Reactions: JoBe
I got the same issue with the DJI go 3.1.2, luckily I didn't have to RTH and so the drone is still here, but I do have the current location (the big red dot) about 1 km off. And the distance shown in the bottom right corner is non sense (btw what's the difference between the distance D and the one shown with the icon??).

Also got issues with weak signal/disconnected after 100m, video lag and jttering and the descending speed was somewhat lower (not sure if that is normal), max 2.5 m/s.

After a simple test it seems that the home point bug is related with the map settings for China mainland (General Settings -> map section). In particular by default I had "Enable AMAP" disabled and "Calibrate Map Coordinates" enabled (I live in Europe). When I enable AMAP and restart the app then the map shows the correct location (but Chinese characters over the map), didn't have the chance to check if the distance was off with this on.

So definitely a fail from dji devs/qa, will revert to a previous version :(

Reactions: pomonabill220
Just to make sure, this issue of RTH resetting mid-flight has only been observed on the Android version of DJI-Go, correct?

Has anyone tested the iOS version and determined that it might be there as well?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I got the same issue with the DJI go 3.1.2, luckily I didn't have to RTH and so the drone is still here, but I do have the current location (the big red dot) about 1 km off. And the distance shown in the bottom right corner is non sense (btw what's the difference between the distance D and the one shown with the icon??).

Also got issues with weak signal/disconnected after 100m, video lag and jttering and the descending speed was somewhat lower (not sure if that is normal), max 2.5 m/s.

After a simple test it seems that the home point bug is related with the map settings for China mainland (General Settings -> map section). In particular by default I had "Enable AMAP" disabled and "Calibrate Map Coordinates" enabled (I live in Europe). When I enable AMAP and restart the app then the map shows the correct location (but Chinese characters over the map), didn't have the chance to check if the distance was off with this on.

So definitely a fail from dji devs/qa, will revert to a previous version :(
The 'D" figure is the distance between Home Point and drone. The figure with the "man icon" is the distance between the RC and drone.

Reactions: Azazel
I looked at that video and concluded the fly-away issue occurring when not having engaged or engaged and cancelled RTH is probably Max Distance setting having been set/enabled and home point having been reset to RC/mobile device perceived position.
If on 3.1.2, first disengage Max distance. Home position upon takeoff is from AC position so as long as you don't change it, you are OK. Do not reset home position mid-flight since your only options are current AC or perceived RC position, first being an unlikely good choice and second definitely a bad choice.
Follow me also won't work since it relies on RC position.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

solentlife
thank you for the post, i have been having problems with my RTH location changing. As a mater of fact I lost my P3S Last Monday in a field about 2000m north of my home. it took me until Thursday to find it. Not giving it much thought I downloaded the DJI GO 3.1.2 when it was out, but i plan on rolling back.

The 'D" figure is the distance between Home Point and drone. The figure with the "man icon" is the distance between the RC and drone.
That is what I thought, but the "D" distance and the "man icon" distance in the early part of the video are WAY off, then when he sets the new HP, they are pretty much the same, but WAY WAY off. Interesting would be why was the "man icon" so far off?

That is what I thought, but the "D" distance and the "man icon" distance in the early part of the video are WAY off, then when he sets the new HP, they are pretty much the same, but WAY WAY off. Interesting would be why was the "man icon" so far off?
It's way off at the beginning because the app has set the RC location incorrectly, at like 1677 meters away.
Then at 8:45 in the video, the app ask which Home Point to use (original or current) and he selects, current.
Remember, Original=takeoff spot (Home point), and Current=RC location (which is in error). That's why the two numbers match up perfectly at the 8:45 mark on the video. Because the app is now setting the new Home point to the incorrect RC location, which is now 1748 meters away from the drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1