Please help me identify this FPV setup

Reaction score
The last couple of weeks I've been doing a lot of reading about pretty much everything there is to know about the Phantom 3 and I was going to buy a P3A today when I found a used Phantom 2 with a complete FPV setup (apart from the GoPro camera). I guess the seller bought it used as well, as he doesn't really know which components are fitted.

Could you please help me identify what this FPV setup consists of?

seu7ty.jpg

Two hours ago I knew nothing about Phantom 2 FPV equipment, but this is what I've been able to determine after some intense reading and looking at pictures. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • DJI Phantom 2 (V2.0?) + two batteries
  • Zenmuse H3-3D
  • Boscam RX LCD 5802 5.8GHz LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor
  • DJI Clover leaf antennas
  • DJI iOSD mini (the seller told me there is one of these fitted)
I don't know what kind of transmitter it's got. Also, are these antennas any good? I found some horrible reviews of them.

The seller has been using this setup without any problems, he says. I just thought I'd ask you guys if there's anything obvious about this setup that could bottleneck the range. I'm going to need around 1km range over open water to do what I want to do with this Phantom.

Thanks

Last edited:
My best recommendation is to start with short test flights to get a feal od its operation the expand from there. From the looks of the equipment you should not have any trouble getting out to 1600 to 2000+ ft. If in the US stay below 400 ft altitude. Test and re test till you learn her present capabilities. Then go from there.

Those antennae look a lot like the stock ones that came with the DJI AVL58, and they were dreadful. I struggled to get 50m with them. Once I went to quality antennae the difference was massive. I've tried Blue Beam Ultras (Mad Mushroom and Air Screw), Immersion RC FatSharks, and FPVLR 5-coil helical directional.

All worked well. But the 5-Coil directional definitely made the biggest difference. I've cracked the US Mile with it, getting easily to 1.7kms before turning back because I chickened out.

Mine was over a lake so much the same conditions you're aiming to use yours. If you buy this, get some good antennae, they'll make the biggest difference over almost any other alteration.

Kind of looks like it has a Immersion RC Tx. Question would be which one? I personally would want the Tx antenna pointed down and not out the side like he has it. You'll get more range that way. Also that controller is not the V2.0 so it might be a V1.0 P2 which in my opinion not a bad thing. I still have my 1.0 and I also have a 2.0 and have no desire to upgrade to the P3. From what I see I would upgrade the antennas and then should be able to possible hit 1k again depending on the Tx. .

The last couple of weeks I've been doing a lot of reading about pretty much everything there is to know about the Phantom 3 and I was going to buy a P3A today when I found a used Phantom 2 with a complete FPV setup (apart from the GoPro camera). I guess the seller bought it used as well, as he doesn't really know which components are fitted.

Could you please help me identify what this FPV setup consists of?

seu7ty.jpg

Two hours ago I knew nothing about Phantom 2 FPV equipment, but this is what I've been able to determine after some intense reading and looking at pictures. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • DJI Phantom 2 (V2.0?) + two batteries
  • Zenmuse H3-3D
  • Boscam RX LCD 5802 5.8GHz LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor
  • DJI Clover leaf antennas
  • DJI iOSD mini (the seller told me there is one of these fitted)
I don't know what kind of transmitter it's got. Also, are these antennas any good? I found some horrible reviews of them.

The seller has been using this setup without any problems, he says. I just thought I'd ask you guys if there's anything obvious about this setup that could bottleneck the range. I'm going to need around 1km range over open water to do what I want to do with this Phantom.

Thanks

If you do not have a GoPro camera at the present time either disconnect both the TX and gimbal power supplies or remove them before flying the quad.

Thanks a lot for your help. After much consideration I ended up buying a Phantom 3 Standard, as the price was just dropped to pretty much the same as that P2.

I've done six flights so far and I've reached a maximum distance of 990m at 120m altitude without any issues, so I'm super happy with it so far. Unfortunately I can't post any photos or videos from the Phantom until I've acquired the necessary permits to do so, but here's a screenshot from the video recorded by my head-mounted GoPro during my first flight today.

259cphj.jpg

That ship is approximately 700m away from me. That's why I need a maximum range of a little more. I'd like to film boats that pass by my home island. It seems now I can do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31