Placing new roll motor in current arm (remove existing motor)

UPDATE...although there might be a better way i was able to remove the old motor and put into a new roll arm. See pics attached with the process. Hope it helps someone else.

Attachments

• Full roll arm motor replacement.jpg
    Full roll arm motor replacement.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 606
  • old motor in new roll arm.jpg
    old motor in new roll arm.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 596
Reactions: Mark The Droner
How did you get the pitch motor off the roll arm? Is there a set screw near pitch pivot on the motor arm under the ribbon cable?

See the detailed image i created in above box. You will see that i scored teh outer ring CAREFULLY with a dremmel, then the last 25% i carefully pried it apart. My goal was to save the motor to put a a NEW roll arm. Dont think there is any way to save a roll arm and separate the motor. That thing is pressed hard in there from the factory.

So putting the same motor into a NEW roll arm, you can do. It does require a little superglue in the very center. Let dry completely before messing with it. Also make sure the flat spot is in the right position first! . See that drawing it explains a lot. Worked for me.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
There's some miscommunication here and it's my fault.

How did you get the motor that makes camera pitch down and up off the arm that makes the camera swing on the horizontal axis.

Yaw is the camera turning left and right relative to the drones nose.

Pitch is the camera end tilting down and up relative to the ground. Down means looking at the ground from directly overhead. Up means looking straight ahead.

Roll is the camera tilting away from horizontal so that it's no longer parallel to the drones bottom.

How did you get the motor that controls camera pitch off the roll arm. Is there a set screw hidden underneath the ribbon cable?

Perhaps my misunderstanding sorry. Seems you are talking about the PITCH motor which is at the end of the camera head. If so, remove that little U shaped cover that is covering the ribbon cable (2 small screws). Then remove the square cover off the back of the cam. Release the RIbbon Cable. Unwind it back off the shaft after carefully removing (sticky to the cam).

Under that YES there is a set screw that holds the camera to the shaft under the ribbon. Remove it.

Then...to remove the pitch motor, there are 3 small screws now exposed. Remove those and the pitch motor is released.

Ahhh much appreciated! Thanks for the scoring tip to remove motor. Inherited a p3p with busted roll motor and ribbon cable.

Reactions: Newgmole
UPDATE...although there might be a better way i was able to remove the old motor and put into a new roll arm. See pics attached with the process. Hope it helps someone else.

This is a nice solution! I had a slightly different situation. The ribbon to the short-shaft motor was buggered after a crash (the second motor from the camera head on a phantom 3 standard), so I ordered a new motor. Unfortunately the one I received had the long shaft not the short one. After reading this thread I decided to get the old motor out (leaving the metal casing and magnets in place) by applying pressure to the small back of the shaft, leaving the metal shell with the motors intact. No matter what I tried, heat, tapping, pressing, nothing worked. So, I got two screwdrivers and put them between the metal casing and the rotating part of the motor and twisted, knowing I was going to sacrifice the coils, black plastic and all. Well, the whole rotating part of the motor popped out without too much damage to the magnets. I was then able to get the shaft, bearings and new spinny parts out of the new motor by laying the new motor down into a vice with the black spinny part facing down and gently tapping on the small shaft end on the back. I was then able to use the new black spin part, the coils and bearings and then extract the old but correct short shaft from the original motor and press fit it all into the metal shell with magnets. Tomorrow I'll replace the long black ribbon cable and hope that it all powers up and works!

Attachments

• IMG_8913.JPG
    IMG_8913.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_8912.JPG
    IMG_8912.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_8907.JPG
    IMG_8907.JPG
    519.5 KB · Views: 362
Ok.

I have a similar problem...
IMG_0635.jpg

Is the motor supposed to be pulled part with slight pressure? My does.

Upon further investigation, I’ve found that the motor carbon band ( the stator ) has small cracks and minor? damage.
IMG_0636.jpg

Do I need a new motor and if so can someone tell me where to get the part? And what it is called...
The yaw motor or roll motor.
Thanks guys.

This is a nice solution! I had a slightly different situation. The ribbon to the short-shaft motor was buggered after a crash (the second motor from the camera head on a phantom 3 standard), so I ordered a new motor. Unfortunately the one I received had the long shaft not the short one. After reading this thread I decided to get the old motor out (leaving the metal casing and magnets in place) by applying pressure to the small back of the shaft, leaving the metal shell with the motors intact. No matter what I tried, heat, tapping, pressing, nothing worked. So, I got two screwdrivers and put them between the metal casing and the rotating part of the motor and twisted, knowing I was going to sacrifice the coils, black plastic and all. Well, the whole rotating part of the motor popped out without too much damage to the magnets. I was then able to get the shaft, bearings and new spinny parts out of the new motor by laying the new motor down into a vice with the black spinny part facing down and gently tapping on the small shaft end on the back. I was then able to use the new black spin part, the coils and bearings and then extract the old but correct short shaft from the original motor and press fit it all into the metal shell with magnets. Tomorrow I'll replace the long black ribbon cable and hope that it all powers up and works!
All that worked for you?

Where does anyone get “good factory authorized parts”?
I see a lot of stuff on eBay, but I’m not sure how good it is. It seems to be parts that someone pulled off a crashed drone. I am in need of a yaw motor.

Hello Sieben,
That part s PRESSED in, at the factory, the steel roll motor shaft is pressed into the aluminum roll arm, I've not taken one apart before, only replaced the whole arm, with motor mounted to it already, BUT, I have repaired them, where the steel shaft pulled free from aluminum in a crash, requires epoxy, when wallowed out. Next, the arm NEEDS to be inserted in a particular position, with flat spot facing UP, as In your picture, or your roll board will not keep camera level.
I'd try a bit of heat on the aluminum side, as aluminum will heat faster than steel, and expand faster, once heated up, then work it free. If new shaft is loose in there, you will need a tiny bit of epoxy, on shaft end when you insert, then turn to align properly, and leave it dry, COMPLETELY, before reassembly. If it is a very tight fit, I'd leave it be, just make sure it is aligned correctly before reassembly.
I hope this helps, and let us know what you find with it, and the best way to disassemble it, cause I'd like to know as well, lol. But that is what I would do, if it were my problem to solve.

J Dot
Good luck!
:cool:
What about a small gear puller just to break the epoxy bond?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl