Pix4D model of power line junction

No compensation was received or expected. This was done to help demonstrate and prove the concept of multi-ray photogrammetry.

@NorthernObserver ... Well you pretty much prove the technology with your example. Very complex structures.

Curious, based on this example, what advantage would the modeling provide to the utility? Was your example just proving the detailing ability of the photogrammetry system? The lattice structures are complex renderings to say the least.

Indeed, this is one of the most impressive reconstruction. For years this was only possible with laser scanners. Now you can just fly a drone and get the same result from a gopro camera...

Was just an example of the photogrammetry technology. The renderings could be useful for dimensional check if say modifications or additions would be required.

Sure, that makes sense. I just read an article about a industrial chimney down in Brazil that was rendered so that they could asses cost and repairs required. Didn't show great detail in the article, but was impressed by the ease, safety and cost savings over traditional methods - man and equipment. They even mentioned it's advantage over lidar systems.

I'm starting to understand the potential, thanks for sharing.

This technology has really revolutionized our work in forensic visualization. While the 3D output has been extraordinarily valuable, the high resolution ortho-imagery has been even more important in this industry. We use both a FARO terrestrial scanner and drone-based mapping. The latter has made, by far, the biggest difference. Some examples HERE.

Very nice example. How many images at what elevation above ground level did you use to make the input project for Pix4D?

Incidentally, I spoke to them yesterday and they say they are testing the version of their aerial mapping app for Phantom 3 and Inspire 1.

@vislaw , thanks for sharing, the understanding for 3D imaging is starting to become clearer for application. Interesting usage within forensic sciences, never would have imagined the benefit until I saw your examples.

Virtual reality "worlds" will be here much sooner than I imagined thanks to this aerial technology and associated software. You guys are on the cutting edge of the future.

Please tell me your not a part of the gaming world.... I'm trying to convince my 17yo there is no good from playing video games...;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Very impressive detail.. I just downloaded Pix4D Discovery edition and I'm searching around for sample projects to play with. I would greatly appreciate if you would share the .p4d file for this project? Thanks in advance!

Shawn
P3P

You virtually flew between the power lines..
The tech is mind blowing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic