Pissed Off DJI Dealers Over P4

Reaction score
Just spoke with a DJI dealer and they're somewhat upset that they're left out on early sales, that going to Apple Stores and direct sales from the companies web site.
So much for loyalty heh!?

I personally like dealing with people who talk the talk and walk the walk, not by email but just a phone call away, sobito presto service!

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
Hopefully those dealers will remember that and favor the customer in support related issues, if needed.

Depending how you look at it, it's a win win for both Apple and DJI. You come into the store and you want to buy a phone or iPad. The sales person says hey, did you give it any thought about taking selfes from the air. We've got just the right thing right here. A Phantom 4. And look it's white and matches with your phone!
Or
Guy walks in and wants a Phantom 4.
Now in order to fly your P4 your going to need an Apple product. And look it's a matching white colour!

$$$$$$$ [emoji38]

Hahaha or if I walked into the Apple store and said "I need a really long selfie stick so I can post selfies on my blog so I can get more likes, subscribes and follows"... The "Genius" could then point me at the P4 and say "here's one". Oh who cares if it's $1350...I can get that YouTube money yo!

What's this about 'same day delivery and setup and instruction ns?' I thought that would be done by the dealer. Or is that just for the model 3's?

Yeah, kills dealers. Drones Plus in Orange County California already went out of business after 6 months. Owner said DJI was going to squash the independents out of the loop. I think with the marriage with Apple, he may be right. As easy as these are to set up and fly, it doesn't take an RC genius anymore.

I heard from a dealers that they make 6%. If you sell on places like Amazon you lose money hand-over-fist. You need high volume and you need to sell the batteries, props and other bits and pieces to make anything. DJI treats the vendors like Apple treats their carriers.

Just ask me about some of the horrifying stories about Amazon, you'd be amazed about what happens when you become an Amazon vendor!

Well that's 6% X zillion that DJI wants.

Yes, but most dealers don't sell that many and it only takes a few immoral Amazon.com deals to wipe out profits.

For example, in 1 Amazon return there was no drone, just a note about how the drone flew away.

In another example, just after the release of the P3 this company received dozens of P3 returns, only problem, the boxes where returned with P2 Visions.

DJI, certainly is making money, no question there but dealers, especially the smaller ones, not so much.

Yes, but most dealers don't sell that many and it only takes a few immoral Amazon.com deals to wipe out profits.

For example, in 1 Amazon return there was no drone, just a note about how the drone flew away.

In another example, just after the release of the P3 this company received dozens of P3 returns, only problem, the boxes where returned with P2 Visions.

DJI, certainly is making money, no question there but dealers, especially the smaller ones, not so much.
Surely there's no way Amazon would allow those types of returns? I just had to return a P3 to them because of a defect and I'm pretty sure they won't credit my card until they receive the actual product and can check it out.

What's this about 'same day delivery and setup and instruction ns?
This only applies to people who live in the San Fransisco Bay or NYC area.

Surely there's no way Amazon would allow those types of returns? I just had to return a P3 to them because of a defect and I'm pretty sure they won't credit my card until they receive the actual product and can check it out.

I can assure you Amazon doesn't check the returns. The bundle them up and send them back to the vendor, no checking. I know this particular vendor well, he isn't one to make these things up and I was in the warehouse one day when an Amazon return shipment arrived, a pallet of returns and some where something that shouldn't have been allowed.

The last place I do business with is Apple. They have a culture of arrogance that goes back to S Jobs. They do so much business with their phones and tablets not just because they work, but they are designed for a well trained bear to use. I will always pay a few bucks more to do business with a local vender if they can provide good service. Keeps the bucks at home, somwhat...

I can assure you Amazon doesn't check the returns. The bundle them up and send them back to the vendor, no checking. I know this particular vendor well, he isn't one to make these things up and I was in the warehouse one day when an Amazon return shipment arrived, a pallet of returns and some where something that shouldn't have been allowed.
Not sure how Amazon handles returning drones but I recently received and installed a defective power steering unit for a classic car ($350). Got on line, noted the defect and printed out a return label. Two days later a new pump arrived. Two weeks later I removed the defective pump, put in the box and mailed it back. My point is they replaced it before they even had the bad one. I was impressed.

My point is they replaced it before they even had the bad one. I was impressed.
Their customer service has always been top notch for me too. In your case, I guess they figure they'll just charge your credit card later if they don't receive the part back as expected.

Their customer service has always been top notch for me too. In your case, I guess they figure they'll just charge your credit card later if they don't receive the part back as expected.
Yeah that the way it works. I had 30 days to ship it before they would charge me.

Depending how you look at it, it's a win win for both Apple and DJI. You come into the store and you want to buy a phone or iPad. The sales person says hey, did you give it any thought about taking selfes from the air. We've got just the right thing right here. A Phantom 4. And look it's white and matches with your phone!
Or
Guy walks in and wants a Phantom 4.
Now in order to fly your P4 your going to need an Apple product. And look it's a matching white colour!

$$$$$$$ [emoji38]
LOL!!

A lot of vendors were not equipped as a full service shop and relied on retail sales. That model doesn't work here. You need warranty service (mfg reimbursed) regular out of warranty service and accessories. Really low overhead is also a must. The Orange County Drones Plus was destined to close from day one. Waaaaaay to much overhead and only retail sales with no real service or accessories to sell.

Personally I love my iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular. It has been a marvelous pairing with my amazing Phantom 3 Pro'. I am looking forward to checking out the new iPad Air 3 128gb Cellular, later this month or next month, when ever, they finally release it. ;-)

The Apple stores are always jammed with shoppers, and the swell employees in blue shirts are visible everywhere, just pick one and wave him or her over to your particular table of devices. It's fun going online with their toys and downloading interesting stuff too. Hahaha

I look forward to my next big Apple purchase.

RedHotPoker

I also use an iPad Air 2 128gb. Just wish I had purchased the cellular model. Really a shame the GPS functionality is only included in the cellular version. I am using a Garmin external GPS unit to provide this service.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik