Pilot nose in wrong direction

Reaction score
Watching utube clips I have noticed on the Pilot app that persons are flying the phantom and the nose of the directional arrow is facing the wrong direction to the actual direction the phantom is travelling. Is that normal or a malfunction and how is it corrected?

Watching utube clips I have noticed on the Pilot app that persons are flying the phantom and the nose of the directional arrow is facing the wrong direction to the actual direction the phantom is travelling. Is that normal or a malfunction and how is it corrected?
Need to calibrate device! On my shield tablet I have a compass app and in that app should be a calibrate feature. On my iPhone it looks like this
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435497260.568062.jpg

When your finish doing this the nose of the P3 should be in its right position

Problem is mate your upside down in Auz.

:)

The P3 can be flown forwards and backwards (as well as sideways and all combinations on the clock). At high speed, many prefer to fly straight backwards to keep the props out of the frame. That might explain the YouTube videos you have seen.

Reactions: Flyboy and Rider82
If you got any magnetic case or magnets nearby will totally throw the direction off. Also find it handy to in click the compass lock on the app.

It's enough to take the phone/tablet in hand and rotate / orbit it for few seconds and the arrow will point perfectly the nose of the phantom.

do not watch youtube get yourself a real one and try it out.
I have been doing my homework because worried about "flyaways" etc. I am inexperienced. Was speaking to by dealer today who is going to sell me one and he is a professional who flies them professionally (including the Inspire) taking photos etc for real estate agents andother clients and even he has cautioned me about buying one stating that he has had many crashes but the financial cost on him is less being a dealer. He said crashes "happen". He said to consider buying a cheaper Phantom 2 to practice on but I think a waste of money. I am meeting dealer again tomorrow to discuss further. May make purchase tomorrow or in next day or so and will keep Phantom Pilots informed of my experiences.

I have been doing my homework because worried about "flyaways" etc. I am inexperienced. Was speaking to by dealer today who is going to sell me one and he is a professional who flies them professionally (including the Inspire) taking photos etc for real estate agents andother clients and even he has cautioned me about buying one stating that he has had many crashes but the financial cost on him is less being a dealer. He said crashes "happen". He said to consider buying a cheaper Phantom 2 to practice on but I think a waste of money. I am meeting dealer again tomorrow to discuss further. May make purchase tomorrow or in next day or so and will keep Phantom Pilots informed of my experiences.

To be honest with you these things are really hard to crash, short of pilot error or malfunction in the device itself. Word to the wise.. if you're new to flying this then begin by flying in a wide open area, and keeping the nose of the Phantom facing away from you so left is left and right is right. DJI's web site has material on recommended pilot training exercises which include doing slow slaloms and figure 8's. It's also hard to crash into something if you fly over it.. so if you travel too close to a tree or bush make sure your flying above anything you can crash into. That will help further minimize risk. You'll be fine. Also use the simulator function built into the DJI Pilot app which will also give you a good head start on practice with no risk to your Phantom.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Need to calibrate device! On my shield tablet I have a compass app and in that app should be a calibrate feature. On my iPhone it looks like this
View attachment 23227
When your finish doing this the nose of the P3 should be in its right position

Bigdz....I am on a fast learning curve here. Have been watching utube and reading Phantom Pilots and about to stick my toe into the water. Expect to purchase the P3p in next day or two. I have already purchased a "Chuwi v18" tablet from Banggood which will arrive in next few days to hopefully fly the P3p.
A Phantom Pilots member on this site has a Chuwi and informed me it works well for AUD$114 so I hope so. Reason for this cheap purchase is because I do not want to buy the Ipad Mini3 this close to the new udated model being released in about 4 months. If I have not crashed my P3p by then I will buy what may be known as the ipad Mini4? Thankyou.

Best to learn on a $45 Syma X5. They are virtually indestructible, but fly just like the P3 in ATTI mode. They also do flips and have a range of 150 feet or so. Then, upgrade to the $55 Syma X5C with a video camera. Once you get comfortable doing drone selfies and spying on the neighbors, you'll be ready for a P3P! Happy Hovering!

The P3 can be flown forwards and backwards (as well as sideways and all combinations on the clock). At high speed, many prefer to fly straight backwards to keep the props out of the frame. That might explain the YouTube videos you have seen.
Yep, watching the arrow pilot flying the way the point is not facing is confusing. The dealer I will probably purchase the P3p from offers private flying lessons as well. I may invest in one or two lessons because I have spent hours on utube and being a dinosaur I do not think I have advanced too far. My son abandoned me long ago when it comes to technology and computers advice. He thinks I am hopeless. Hopefully I will understand it better once I have the real thing in my possession. Thankyou.

He's giving you bad advice if he's recommending a P2 over a P3.
The P3 is 10x better.
It's a huge improvement and the things that make it better make it easier and safer to fly.
I'd be wary of someone that says he's had many crashes.
He's not learning from the experience.

Reactions: Jbundy63
To be honest with you these things are really hard to crash, short of pilot error or malfunction in the device itself. Word to the wise.. if you're new to flying this then begin by flying in a wide open area, and keeping the nose of the Phantom facing away from you so left is left and right is right. DJI's web site has material on recommended pilot training exercises which include doing slow slaloms and figure 8's. It's also hard to crash into something if you fly over it.. so if you travel too close to a tree or bush make sure your flying above anything you can crash into. That will help further minimize risk. You'll be fine. Also use the simulator function built into the DJI Pilot app which will also give you a good head start on practice with no risk to your Phantom.

I am hearing you....thanks. I actually purchased a cheapie for about AUD$75 a year ago with a little camera and that has absolutely none of the hi-tech stuff of the P3p so can do the basics. The basics are not what I am afraid of but it only flies about 100 metres from me and the camera is useless with all the wobbles etc. but it does give you a good understanding of the pilot controls. It's all the high tech stuff on the incredible craft. It's hard for a dinosaur to get ones head around it. Hopefully it will all make sense soon. Looking forward to joining you guys in flight and yes, I hope noticed the benefits in keeping higher than trees etc.

I have been doing my homework because worried about "flyaways" etc.
Don't worry about flyaways. There's no suggestion that the P3 is subject to flyaways.
The P3 is much easier to fly than you imagine - easier than any trainer quad.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.

But for learning, the critical thing is to practise in a large clear open area, well away from trees and buildings.
Flying close to obstacles is by far, the largest killer of Phantoms.
Obstacles are the number one enemy of quadcopters.

He's giving you bad advice if he's recommending a P2 over a P3.
The P3 is 10x better.
It's a huge improvement and the things that make it better make it easier and safer to fly.
I'd be wary of someone that says he's had many crashes.
He's not learning from the experience.

I agree 100% here. I know many people who don't have any crashes. You can't really crash one of these and be ok. Just buy a Syma x5 or Hubsan H107C to learn how to fly a quad. Once you are done crashing that one you will be much better at the P3.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic