Pilot nose in wrong direction

Best to crash 20 Syma X5C's rather than 1 P3P! The P3P camera alone is $600, and that is the most likely component to be broken in a hard fall, after the props. Even landing smoothly on an uneven surface can damage the vulnerable camera or the gimbal. My first P3P camera got ripped off in a fall, determined by DJI to be caused by an early firmware bug and was never found. Everyone crashes at the beginning, usually by panicking, due to inexperience and pilot error. Anyone who has never crashed has already had 10 years of experience flying other craft, or has been very lucky, because the best piloting skills in the world won't help you when something goes horribly wrong, and, if you keep flying, eventually it will. Be as prepared as you can for that moment. Yes, you can learn to drive in a Ferarri in an empty parking lot, but it's cheaper to learn in a Volkswagon. Depends upon your wallet and your risk tolerance. Plan on buying 2, as one will always be in the shop waiting for repair parts, even if through no fault of yours! :confused: Professional photographers all have back up camera gear. Why? Because anything electronic can fail at any time anywhere. Their cameras never leave the ground. Now fly that $600 digital camera around 400 feet in the air, on another piece of electronic equipment, and you'll perhaps understand the need for a backup, in case something "happens" to the first one!

Happy Hovering!

I completely agree with the advice of buying an inexpensive quadcopter to use for building some basic multirotor skills.

Go ahead and buy your P3 but also do yourself a favor and buy a cheap quadcopter to help you build some basic skills such as hovering without GPS or barometric support and flying with a "nose in" orientation.

I have seen many new pilots starting off with DJI quads that have never flown multirotors (or in may cases any RC aircraft) before get into trouble on their third or fourth flight when they start to become a little more adventurous and get disorientated and panic. It's easy to do.

Spend a little additional $ and you'll have fun learning and you'll also appreciate what the P3 can do when you take up those sticks.

Just my $.02...

:harry

I completely agree with the advice of buying an inexpensive quadcopter to use for building some basic multirotor skills.

Go ahead and buy your P3 but also do yourself a favor and buy a cheap quadcopter to help you build some basic skills such as hovering without GPS or barometric support and flying with a "nose in" orientation.

I have seen many new pilots starting off with DJI quads that have never flown multirotors (or in may cases any RC aircraft) before get into trouble on their third or fourth flight when they start to become a little more adventurous and get disorientated and panic. It's easy to do.

Spend a little additional $ and you'll have fun learning and you'll also appreciate what the P3 can do when you take up those sticks.

Just my $.02...

:harry

Hello Dedstik, I do infact own a cheap Wiltoys V222 which I purchased more than a year ago in anticipation of buying a phantom.....and as others have written, well appreciate the difficulties of flying a quadcopter when it is facing you with all controls reversed. I have thought of purchasing a better cheaper quad like for about $3 or $400 but that is good money to go towards the P3p. I was expecting to officially place my order today but did not hear from my dealer so maybe tomorrow is the day I become a committed Phantom Pilot. Thankyou for your comments.

Hello Dedstik, I do infact own a cheap Wiltoys V222 which I purchased more than a year ago in anticipation of buying a phantom.....and as others have written, well appreciate the difficulties of flying a quadcopter when it is facing you with all controls reversed. I have thought of purchasing a better cheaper quad like for about $3 or $400 but that is good money to go towards the P3p. I was expecting to officially place my order today but did not hear from my dealer so maybe tomorrow is the day I become a committed Phantom Pilot. Thankyou for your comments.

You might also consider purchasing directly from Amazon itself instead, as their 30 day return policy seems to include crashes that dealers and DJI won't cover. Amazon has the best drone return policy. After 10 days, with a dealer or even DJI itself, your only recourse is to ship it in for an evaluation, which takes 6 to 8 weeks, instead of an immediate replacement, and you will still most likely be charged for the repair! Dealers have the option within 10 days to replace it as a DOA unit, but most won't and just refer you to DJI! Amazon covers it for 30 days!

Bought the x5 and 4 extra batteries out the door from Amazon 50 clams. Best money I spent. Really helped prior to getting my P3, Absolutely agree regarding durability. My boy and I hit several trees and the house while learning. Still flies fine.

Bought the x5 and 4 extra batteries out the door from Amazon 50 clams. Best money I spent. Really helped prior to getting my P3, Absolutely agree regarding durability. My boy and I hit several trees and the house while learning. Still flies fine.
Syma X5 actually auto-rotates and floats to the ground, if you power it down to prevent it from flying away in the wind, or it gets out of range, or the battery dies in the air. Mine dropped from over 100 feet and landed upside down on the sidewalk. Not even a scratch! Power up, and go again! Try that with the P3P!

I bought a Parrot Bebop and flew it for about 2 weeks, was pretty neat, great camera but not a lot of range, would drop signal because it was controlled by your cell phone. Easy to fly but turned right around and bought a DJI P3P and have loved it, granted I did a lot of reading the manual, watching tutorials and whatever I could research. I have over 60 flights without any problems or issues. Since then I sold the Parrot because there was no comparison between the two. Of course you pay for what you get. Be careful, steady and research before and after you purchase. Like everything else, most people want better after what they just bought, so that being said you can't go wrong and you don't have to opt for the more expensive 4X camera which will save some money but give you the performance and reliability of the Phantom line. BTW I have flown planes but very very little and that was 30 years ago so you can say I didn't have any experience [emoji4]

My very first Parrot A.R. 2.0 drone managed to fly away, when the wind pushed it just out of WiFi range, and it slowly drifted away, downwind, at 50 feet above ground, down the hill, over the freeway, and disappeared behind a 3 story apartment building, never to be seen again, as I watched in horror through binoculars. Spent 2 days looking for it, confident that the USB memory stick would contain terrific video of the flight, even if the Drone landed in water in the riverbed next to the golf course, across the street from the apartment building it disappeared behind. Only later, did I learn that video recording ceases immediately after the Parrot drone loses its WiFi connection, when another one flew away and was recovered. CostCo was kind enough to refund my purchase price on the first one, when I returned the empty box. The P3P 4K video is light years better than the Parrot video! I'll be flying the route the Parrot took during its flyaway, later today, with the P3P, as a tribute to the Parrot AR 2 that started it all! :D

Reactions: Jbundy63

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic