Pilot from North Carolina

Reaction score
Hey everyone Just want to say hello from central NC. I have transitioned from flying RC planes to Quads. I really enjoy flying the Quads vs flying planes. I flew a friends and I was hooked. I have read a lot of great information here on this website though I was not registered. Hopefully I will be able to contribute a little to this forum. Mark

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome Mark. Multirotors are a blast to fly but I'm weird in that I enjoy my planes much more LOL!

Welcome to the Phantom Pilots Family Mark! I also got my start flying RC Planes, then went to Helicopters now quads / hex. My planes and helis haven't gotten much use since starting with multirotors about 3 years ago.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Working on getting a phone number to notify a heliport at a hospital down the road so I can fly on some acreage behind the house. No one has a clue as to who to notify!

I've had to notify some hospitals doing some filming jobs. Just call the main number and ask for Care Flight (that's what it's called here anyway). Let them know exactly where you will be flying and what times.

Yes I finally got a phone number today. It is not a manned helipad but found out who is in charge of the flights in and out of the hospital. It just opened last year. At first they said I could not fly in the 5 mile radius but I was very nice and I quoted the FAA law and they were good with that.They gave me a number to notify them when I fly. They are based in Raleigh 2 hours away. They told me that the NC law was no flying quads within the five mile radius according to NCDOT?? They pointed me to this site. NCDOT: Recreational Operators

off NCDOT site for rec fliers.
  • Always fly below an altitude of 400 feet, and fly within your direct line of sight.
  • Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport, near stadiums or other public events. (The notification of flight for airports etc part is left out)
  • Do not fly for compensation.
  • Do not fly at night.
  • Do not fly a UAS/drone that weighs more than 55 pounds.

I've had to notify some hospitals doing some filming jobs. Just call the main number and ask for Care Flight (that's what it's called here anyway). Let them know exactly where you will be flying and what times.

Reactions: BigAl07
I fly in NC and have faa and nc license. NC can control some activitis with drones, such as harassing hunters in the lawful taking of game animals. This is part of the reason for them having their license. This isn't as much an airspace issue as an activity issue.

They put thesee rules into effect prior to FAA part 107 to get guidance out there.

Now that part 107 is out there, NC can not legally restrict your flights above what the faa does. This is what some states are not understanding. They have ZERO responsibility and ZERO jurisdiction over their airspace, because it isn't their airspace, but the federal government's? FAA CONTROLS FROM THE GRASS TIPS AND UP.

The reason for this is safety. Can you imagine, with all types of flights, if all states had their own rules and reslgulations? It would be safety chaos and confusion for the pilots.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20