Pilot error low crash. 1 motor won't start.

Reaction score
Well due to my impatience to get 'That shot' I did something I never normally do, take off without letting the aircraft warm up and get to know where it is.
As soon as I took off the aircraft moved backwards. Gave it a little forward to move it from the picnic table, but nothing. The next I know the aircraft was upside down and bits flying from the shattering props.
I placed my foot lightly on the landing gear so that it could not get away and down on the left stick to stop the motors. No joy. OK I thought both sticks down and centre, still nothing.
Put the remote down and thought OK turn the battery off.
At this point the aircraft was shaking violently due to most of the props being shattered.
Pressed the power button but nothing. Would not turn off.
So thinking to myself I can't stand here until the battery runs out holding this shaking beast I now had in my hand I had to think quick.
Pull the battery out I thought.
So with the thought of the video of the phantom cutting vegetables up in my mind and looking at the jaggered remains of my props I tentatively put my fingers towards the battery and released it.

Surveying the damage it did not look too bad. Yeh I had lost all 4 props. One was stuck on but with the prop tool it came off. But other than that nothing else visible. A little noise inside like something small is rolling around in the Shell.

Well at least it was not in the water or fell from a great height I thought.

At home I tried to start it up.

Power on and beep beep beep all the time. 1 motor won't start. No warning or facts showing on the app.

Did a imu recalibration and compass but still the same.

So my question is what could be the cause can I repair this or will it have to be sent away.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Many thanks for any advice.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Flying pug,
I had a similar experience once. Also my crash was minor. I only lost one prop.
I had to remove the battery manually to stop the motors. After replacing the prop, everything was OK.
Maybe your crash broke something loose (connector?) or the battery removal caused a power spike.
You went to 18ft? Wat caused the crash? Did you hit a tree?

At this point it sounds like you may have fried a esc board. The motor not starting is why it has the continuous beeps. I would say the internal rattle would be prop debris that most likely that entered from an air vent?

Reactions: Flying pug
That sounds expensive. Going to try and get the lid off tomorrow and have a look inside

If you do choose to go the route with removing the top cover, I would recommend a search on youtube for any tutorial videos on the top cover subject.

Also, the esc board doesn't cost much. It's the soldering part that I prefer to stay away from.

No.....it of coarse could be a list of other things. But it generally doesn't take much to toast a esc when there is motor stoppage.

Quick reminder. P3A and P3P have ESCs integrated to the main board which carries a pricey replacement cost.

Is the motor obstructed? Does it feel like the others when you turn it by hand? Do the visible areas of the windings appear to have any signs of over temoerature? If no issues there i regret to say you probably need a new main board. The solder connections (motor to mainboard) appear competently executed in the four units i have seen apart, unlikely to have come adrift in the crash.

One observation of interest, healthy drones records 30ms as max speed. Something probably not right there.

Thanks. I have taken the lid off and everything seems OK. The motor spins freely just like the rest. I will have a close look at it tomorrow for any signs of heat. Is there any way I can put power to the motor without unsoldering it from the board?

Thanks. I have taken the lid off and everything seems OK. The motor spins freely just like the rest. I will have a close look at it tomorrow for any signs of heat. Is there any way I can put power to the motor without unsoldering it from the board?
What power are you intending to apply? You could probe the output pins on the board with a DMM or oscilliscope.

You could also take the known good motor from the opposing arm and swap it into it in the dead motor position to test.

I

Ok a new board will cost me £339 then fitting and maybe a new motor at about £20. but there is a phantom advanced on ebay for £299 new that the guy says he bought from Jessops for parts.
He is only selling the craft no camera or gimbal on it. Mine is a pro. Will I just be able to put my camera on to this and then it will be just like a pro or is there any more differences? on the dji website it stats the max video bitrate as
Phantom 3 Professional:10Mbps
Phantom 3 Advanced:2Mbps
Is this just built into the camera or the aircraft?
The one on ebay is also a new style motor one.

Install camera, update firmware and you have a pro.

Did you confirm its the mainboard?

299 is a lot for a motor. Chances are good its the board.

I have converted the FLYXXX.DAT files. Is it possible from these to determine if the motor has gone or the board?
FLY210 - Google Sheets
It'd be better if you could post the .DAT file. We'll want to run DatCon in different ways to extract different kinds of info.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1