Pilot app for android is a brutal nightmare on Galaxy Tab S

Reaction score
I recently got the P3P and have been using my iphone 6+ with it which has worked great. I have always been an Apple guy but ive wanted to try out an android device and so today I picked up a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 inch to use with the Phantom. I loaded it all up checked all of my settings and took off. The live feed is literally 1 FPS. The app performance is so bad I dont consider it usable. I enabled USB debugging too.

I guess I am asking the android people here if that is par for the course or if it should work better maybe with a future update? Is the Galaxy Tab S a cheapo tablet? I have 14 days to return the Galaxy Tab so not really a rush, but this was a huge bummer because I like the tablet a lot but I cant justify keeping it if it doesnt work with the Phantom. Are you guys having similar experiences with the android app?

I recently got the P3P and have been using my iphone 6+ with it which has worked great. I have always been an Apple guy but ive wanted to try out an android device and so today I picked up a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 inch to use with the Phantom. I loaded it all up checked all of my settings and took off. The live feed is literally 1 FPS. The app performance is so bad I dont consider it usable. I enabled USB debugging too.

I guess I am asking the android people here if that is par for the course or if it should work better maybe with a future update? Is the Galaxy Tab S a cheapo tablet? I have 14 days to return the Galaxy Tab so not really a rush, but this was a huge bummer because I like the tablet a lot but I cant justify keeping it if it doesnt work with the Phantom. Are you guys having similar experiences with the android app?

My tab s 10.5 is unusable. I did EVERYTHING recommended by phantom help but it seems that these tab models just don't work well.. They are fast enough I think? I'm going to eBay mine and go for an Nvidia shield

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's such a long thread of complaints.. I really appreciate the info, just hoping you can give a quick summary or direct me to a page. Thanks!

Roll back Google Play Service (uninstall the updates to effect a rollback to prior version(s)

Reactions: YolevonALLin
Roll back Google Play Service (uninstall the updates to effect a rollback to prior version(s)
Thanks! I hope it's easy to disable auto updates. Android I'd great accept for all the bloatware and auto updates that are nearly impossible to disable/Uninstall

Thanks! I hope it's easy to disable auto updates. Android I'd great accept for all the bloatware and auto updates that are nearly impossible to disable/Uninstall

My device is rooted so I have removed most bloat.

Here's a how to from the dji forum

Have you tried downgrading 'google play services' as a workaround?:

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

Currently running with a S6 Edge. I'm consistently getting an app crash on the initial app startup. Im able to just startup the app again and rock n' roll... But yeah, its annoying.

Probably all related to the DJI app putting a lot of stress on the CPU(s), leading to overheating, mostly causing lag but sometimes it causes an app crash on itself or one of the google android processes. Try the google play services downgrade steps above as a workaround in the meantime.

Most tablets should have plenty of power to run this type of app. Hopefully a fix somewhere in the works...

Also see http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/too-hot-to-fly.45777/page-2#post-425785 if you want a bit more info on what I think is going on.

Reactions: storrowdrive
I got the 8.4 from amazon because everyone talked about how bright the screen was and it was so laggy. Just like you described. Shipped it back and got the Nexus 7. Awesome! Just make sure you turn wifi off when in sleep mode (toggle in settings) and close the Pilot app from running in the background, otherwise it will die overnight.

I got the TAB S 10.5... works great.. the screen is the best.. yes had to down grade googke play services ... but thats ok everything still works..

Reactions: louforgiveno

The Nvidia Shield is working fine for me. I have never had a crash and I have no lag that is noticeable. I have done nothing to it "to make it work". The Inspire guys recommend the Nvidia Shield and that was good enough for me as a recommendation.

Put my tab s 10.5 onto eBay today. It's strange though as when using the tab s with lightbridge on the s900 it's fine. Oh well I'm now a convert to IOS

My device is rooted so I have removed most bloat.

Here's a how to from the dji forum

Have you tried downgrading 'google play services' as a workaround?:

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

This works! Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 AT&T LTE with lollipop.
I turn off all crap and above,,, perfect stream NO lag..

on edit you can not root an AT&T Tab S T707A,, they have root blockers

Last edited:
Reactions: louforgiveno
Currently running with a S6 Edge. I'm consistently getting an app crash on the initial app startup. Im able to just startup the app again and rock n' roll... But yeah, its annoying.
Did the back of your phone get hot after flying?

This is because the tab s is slow to this... The nvidia shield tablet is far the best to try dji pilot app.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic