Pilot App crashing. "unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" Screen Record

I have one but im not looking at that app. If they comp me my quad for fixing it Ill be happy to step up. Otherwise mines sitting in the backpack till I see you guys making happy comments

Not needed, in a case like this Apple coders look at the code of the app to make sure it is not going to do any harm to either the app store, or Apple devices, and plays nice with other apps. Apple doesn't care if the app actually works as intended, just so long as it doesn't do any harm. They could care less if you P3 flies on the app or not.

Exactly. And all these issues come out when it is being used with the phantom, so you can't pick up the problems without it. My standalone app behaves very well when it isn't connected.

The vetting you speak of is fairly minimal, more security focused, and is performed on both app stores.

I had noticed in recent weeks that the P3P video stream on my Nexus 9 had a slight jitter or lag and I am pretty sure that wasn't the case when it was new. I was also getting occasional app crashes. So I tried downgrading Google Play Services (and Maps - also I do use the tablet for lite internetting so had to downgrade the Gmail, Drive and Youtube apps as well). All those others seem to work fine still.

On the bench at home it appeared that FPV was buttery smooth and I just got back from running 3 batteries through and every second was beautiful! And of course no app crashes. Such a difference. Even at semi-long range (up to 2.3 miles), it was clean and great. This is on the Auto video setting using FW 1.1.9 and the old V1.1.0 DJI Pilot app - haven't upgraded either yet. Nexus 9 is on 5.1.1.

Since I didn't want DJI Pilot to update itself I already had all updates on that tablet set to manual, so I just have to remember not to allow any Google apps to update either.

Thanks all you guys who posted here about Google Play Services! I hope DJI gets this figured out soon.

I had noticed in recent weeks that the P3P video stream on my Nexus 9 had a slight jitter or lag and I am pretty sure that wasn't the case when it was new. I was also getting occasional app crashes. So I tried downgrading Google Play Services (and Maps - also I do use the tablet for lite internetting so had to downgrade the Gmail, Drive and Youtube apps as well). All those others seem to work fine still.

On the bench at home it appeared that FPV was buttery smooth and I just got back from running 3 batteries through and every second was beautiful! And of course no app crashes. Such a difference. Even at semi-long range (up to 2.3 miles), it was clean and great. This is on the Auto video setting using FW 1.1.9 and the old V1.1.0 DJI Pilot app - haven't upgraded either yet. Nexus 9 is on 5.1.1.

Since I didn't want DJI Pilot to update itself I already had all updates on that tablet set to manual, so I just have to remember not to allow any Google apps to update either.

Thanks all you guys who posted here about Google Play Services! I hope DJI gets this figured out soon.
I will try to do that in the shield tablet, the downgrade of the maps itself only does not work.

Guys, the tried and true workaround for lag, overheating and crashing on Android is:

Downgrading 'google play services'

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16777&page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this workaround.
Gonna try it on my hisense sero 7 pro as the DJI pilot app crashes after about 10 mins. Hopefully this will work :)

Killed all the apps to start with and it seems ok. Iv only flown a couple of times since I got the P3. Weathers taken a turn for the worse here in Perth and Iv been a bit busy too.

Killed all the apps to start with and it seems ok. Iv only flown a couple of times since I got the P3. Weathers taken a turn for the worse here in Perth and Iv been a bit busy too.

Heck, just checked...yeah it does look bad there For Perth anyway. If you've flown with it for 10mins so far before crashing the tablet is doing pretty well. Hopefully the workaround will sort you out.

I do have the same problem, running Google Nexus II by Asus, it worked a little better before the last update of the system, it's very enoying. Guess I have to live with it for a while. Just waiting for a update.

It is SO nice now. I flew out more than 3.5 miles today and had clear beautiful video with no lags (and no app crashes) the whole time. Looking forward to a fix from DJI for this to work with the latest and greatest from Google though. But the downgrades don't take long and can be repeated if necessary.

Tried it and no app crashes either. However my map in the app didn't display. It was just plain white with the red arrow of the drone in the middle. Any suggestions how to get the map in the DJI app? Thanks

Tried it and no app crashes either. However my map in the app didn't display. It was just plain white with the red arrow of the drone in the middle. Any suggestions how to get the map in the DJI app? Thanks

Sounds like you did not re-enable the Google Play Services component as per those steps. This is what provides the mapping information to the DJI app

I thought I did. I will go through it all again and see how I go. My youtube wouldn't work either as it said I required an update. Would that be the case?

I thought I did. I will go through it all again and see how I go. My youtube wouldn't work either as it said I required an update. Would that be the case?

There will be certain apps that rely on a later version of Google Play Services, especially the Google suite of apps, like Youtube. This is the unfortunate side effect of this method. You can try downgrading these apps too so they also work.

Just re done the process again. I must've made a mistake the first time. Now my map is displaying in the app and youtube opens. Awesome!!! Thanks mate

Thanks Scotty. I finally have things working on my Samsung Tab S 8.4" running CM 12.1 (Android 5.1.1).

What's neat is the Tab S has a microSD slot and you can play the 4k videos under CM 12.1 with the free VLC player.

PS: if anyone is thinking about the Tab S 8.4" it's the perfect form factor for the controller and comes in white and gold too, but you probably want to flash to CM 12.1 which voids the warranty. The display is the best available for sunlight use. I returned an ipad air 3 as the screen was very disappointing in outdoor use.

Guys, the tried and true workaround for lag, overheating and crashing on Android is:

Downgrading 'google play services'

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16777&page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this workaround.

Last edited:
Thanks Scotty. I finally have things working on my Samsung Tab S 8.4" running CM 12.1 (Android 5.1.1).

What's neat is the Tab S has a microSD slot and you can play the 4k videos under CM 12.1 with the free VLC player.

Glad that helped. It's a nice tablet, I have the same model.

Are you just running a Nightly build of CM 12.1 or do they have a stable release now?

I'm using the 7/4/2015 nightly right now. I wish I'd have read this thread before installing all the gapps I'm used to. The nightly build works great for me (but I don't let it auto update), and the tablet runs a lot faster without touchwiz. Runs every bit as smooth and fast as my Nexus 6 (when using CM 12.1 instead of the touchwiz stock rom).

Glad that helped. It's a nice tablet, I have the same model.

Are you just running a Nightly build of CM 12.1 or do they have a stable release now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31