Photos and Video on the same flight?

Reaction score
So since I recently discovered that we can't take a photo while the video is rolling. What would you say the best practice is in order to get some good quality stills? Frame grab them in post or stop the video, flip the toggle over to camera and push the shutter button? Does that ensure the best quality still vs frame grab? I'll be shooting video in 1080p.

Thanks!

You should take photos in RAW format if you're looking for the best quality.

You should be able to take a photo while video is recording by doing a screen capture. I believe it will work.

I do a lot of photography and take great JPG photos. Raw format makes your photos about 10x as big as jpg. If you have good light try setting your ISO to 100, that will get rid to the grainy look to your photos. I only shoot RAW if I plan to do a lot of photo editing.

The images taken off a video are no where near as good as a straight photo...especailly from 1080p video. 4K video stills are ok, but you will always get the best results from the RAW file version though you do need some skills in how to process the files to its best.

Reactions: snerd
What I do when I take stills with my P3Pro is, I shoot "brackets" to make HDR-photos. Hold down the Shutter Button in the Pilot app, and a menu opens up, where you can select various shooting modes.

I shoot LOG-color mode, 5-brackets, DNG RAW. I believe that will generally produce the maximum quality photos from the P3.

I then take the 5 photos (5-brackets) and import into Lightroom (or other software that can create HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos. There I select the five photos created with the 5-brackets. They are shot at various exposure compensation - meaning some will be over-exposed and some will be under-exposed. The software then combines the 5 photos into one HDR-photo where I have a lot more freedom with regards to controlling the lighting. I can make the ground (shadows), that will often be too dark, lighter (with less noise) and I can make the highlights darker, in order to keep beautiful details in the sky, especially when shooting against the sun. The HDR-effect can be adjusted to make a very HDRish photo or a more natural looking photo - thats the art and a matter of taste.

Some caveats when doing photos this way.:
- A photo takes up about 125 megabytes (5x25 MB) so it takes a while to save the files before you can shoot again (upwards 10 seconds).
- Since it takes 5 photos (rapidly) there will be a little time between each photo. So it works best if the P3 (the flying tripod as I call it) is perfectly still in the air when taking the photo(s) - and preferably no moving parts in the frame (this can be compensated by "de-ghosting" when creating the HDR-image).

Going totally crazy, you can create some huge photos by doing 5-brackets PLUS doing Panorama! :) This is where it gets mad - but also kindda cool. You can take say 4x2 photos to make a panorama (with 5-bracktets thats 40x25MB RAW photos combined into one panorama photo). This takes a little time to process :)

Enjoy!

PS: Also have some videography and other tips and tricks on my website.

Can someone answer this for me real quick.. I was going to test this but my flight battery is dead.

If your DJ Pilot app is toggled currently for Video. If you press the Red Record button on the RC does that Start and Stop Video?

If you Stop video with the RC Button can you press the shutter button on the RC to take a photo quickly or do you need to first toggle the DJI Pilot app back into Camera mode?

Thank you!!!

Can someone answer this for me real quick.. I was going to test this but my flight battery is dead.

If your DJ Pilot app is toggled currently for Video. If you press the Red Record button on the RC does that Start and Stop Video?

If you Stop video with the RC Button can you press the shutter button on the RC to take a photo quickly or do you need to first toggle the DJI Pilot app back into Camera mode?

Thank you!!!

Yes you can, that works just like that and I use it regularly. :)

Reactions: dysan911

Thank you!!!

Hi,

No, the buttons should do all of the work. I believe the shutter button is on the right (stills) and the record button is on the left (video). This saves you from having to touch the screen and in my opinion is a big help. You can toggle back and forth directly from the remote control. Simply power on your Phantom and give it a shot. You don't have to be in the air, just make sure your props are off.

PS; of course you also have the option of touching the screen which is so P2ish nowadays :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.